Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Will our Canadian DVD's work in the UK?

Will our Canadian DVD's work in the UK?

Old Apr 29th 2011, 3:48 am
Onwards and upwards!

fatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Will our Canadian DVD's work in the UK?

Originally Posted by lkelly
Oh that's great!! I think Asda is our first stop when we arive, they sell everything!!!
I heard Asda is part of Walmart, do you know if that's true?
yes Walmart is Canada's Asda
Old Apr 29th 2011, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

marietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nice

Originally Posted by fatcat65
yes Walmart is Canada's Asda
But not as good ( or as cheap) as Asda
Old May 4th 2011, 8:06 pm
Just Joined

handyman is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Will our Canadian DVD's work in the UK?

Asda are the UK subsidiary of Walmart, they have a good website: asda.co.uk, also check out tesco.co.uk. I have sent DVDs purchased in Canada & provided they have the "world" symbol they work fine in the UK.
Good Luck!
Old May 5th 2011, 10:29 pm
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

We live in the UK but have a few foreign DVDs, mostly American (the same region as Canada, region 1, UK is region 2). Our old DVD player played them but we wanted to buy new TVs with build in freeview and DVD players. We kept our fingers crossed because, for some reason, most DVD players (including TVs with built-in DVD players), don't like to advertise that they are region free.

We bought a TV/DVD player for the bedroom first from Argos. Unfortunately, when we tested a US DVD it didn't play. However, when we bought a TV/DVD player for the living room, we were delighted to find it DID play the US DVDs! (Usually if you buy one of the ones advertised as 'region free' they cost a lot more).

The make we bought for the living room is a Cello. They sell them at www.sainsburys.co.uk or www.24ace.co.uk Ours was only a 15 inch as we are not bothered about big TVs but I know they do them up to 24 inches with a built-in DVD player, and I am assuming that this would also be region free like the 15 inch one.

Buying a combined TV might be a good idea anyway as most of the UK is now digital and otherwise you would need a seperate Freeview box as well as seperate DVD player. As a guide, we got our 15 inch combi from Ace and it was £169.99 but they are now selling it for £159.99, and I think Sainsburys are probably cheaper.
Old May 12th 2011, 6:45 am
BE Enthusiast

canadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to behold

One thing you'll notice is that Britain has lots of multi-region equipment including DVDs and TVs. I had a DVD which you could select the region; a bit of a pain in the ass by today's standards. Now I think the player will just recognise the region and set itself. Modern flat TVs will play all standards. I was really surprised that in North America no electronic items seem to be compatible with other regions, but isn't that North America all over.
Old May 13th 2011, 6:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lkelly
We've finally decided to move back to the UK and so.... I'm going thru the house decluttering before we list our house for sale.
We have a huge DVD collection but I've heard thru the grapevine that they won't work in a British DVD player???
Is someone pulling my leg?? Afterall, isn't everything made in China?? lol
Dont sell those DVDs, Just buy a region free player, they dont cost a fortune and will play a Dvd from any part of the world, I have a Samsung, its terrific, other top brands are available, as other posters have mentioned you can hack or decode any player, and info is on the Net.