Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Will my Canadian TV work in the UK ?

Will my Canadian TV work in the UK ?

Old Aug 17th 2023, 11:55 pm
Just Joined

sarahp2610 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Will my Canadian TV work in the UK ?

Calling on anyone techy....I'm moving back to the UK from Ontario, Canada and need to understand if my Canadian-bought TV will work in the UK, and if it is worth shipping along with the rest of our stuff.

After searching online for advice, it is just so contradictory, i'm confused. The TV in question was purchased in 2019 and is a Samsung 7 Series NU7100 with x 3 HDMI ports. We currently only really use Netflix, Disney+, Youtube vs. the terrestrial television here, so if we can do the same in the UK it'll be worth keeping as a spare TV.

Many thanks to anyone with advice or past experience of this!
Old Aug 18th 2023, 12:34 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will my Canadian TV work in the UK ?

Model number is probably not a great help.

Canada operates on 120V, 60Hz but UK is 230V, 50Hz so it's likely your TV wont work, but check the back to see if there is anything that suggests it will operate on the higher voltage.
Old Aug 18th 2023, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

We advised our daughter not to bother bringing hers with her but she also only used hers for streaming so she brought it, bought a transformer once she got here, plugged it in and it worked except that the screen had been damaged in transit. No visible signs but once in use there was a blank area in the top left corner so she ended up buying a new one here, and now has a 240 - 120 step down transformer.

Check the voltage required on the back of your TV, you will probably need a transformer to get it work in the UK. The difference in AC frequency doesn't matter these days as the first thing that happens inside the TV is that it is converted to DC anyway. Many electronic devices are dual voltage these days but not TVs that I am aware of.
Old Aug 18th 2023, 1:53 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
We advised our daughter not to bother bringing hers with her but she also only used hers for streaming so she brought it, bought a transformer once she got here, plugged it in and it worked except that the screen had been damaged in transit. .....
Given the size an fragility of TVs these days, I would concur with this advice.

You might get away with shipping it if you still have the original box and packing materials, but I would n'teven bet on that protecting it. If you don't have the original packaging and still decide to ship it, I would protect the screen with a soft cloth and then duck-tape securely it to a piece of plywood cut slightly larger than the screen, to protect it from impacts, but as I said at the start, I think the risks are high and honestly, buying a new one when you arrive in the UK is the most logical decision.
Old Aug 21st 2023, 3:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute

We bought 5 Canadian TV's back with us from Canada. I had a relatively new 8k and a few 4k Samsung TV's which I didn't want to leave behind. Providing they are dual voltage (check the label on the TV by the power source), and they all worked fine using a HDMI connection.
Old Aug 23rd 2023, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sarahp2610
Calling on anyone techy....I'm moving back to the UK from Ontario, Canada and need to understand if my Canadian-bought TV will work in the UK, and if it is worth shipping along with the rest of our stuff.

After searching online for advice, it is just so contradictory, i'm confused. The TV in question was purchased in 2019 and is a Samsung 7 Series NU7100 with x 3 HDMI ports. We currently only really use Netflix, Disney+, Youtube vs. the terrestrial television here, so if we can do the same in the UK it'll be worth keeping as a spare TV.

Many thanks to anyone with advice or past experience of this!
Hi, Unless you have a sentimental reason for your tv or it was mega expensive I would bring it. TV’s here are very reasonable a lot are very cheap.
Old Aug 23rd 2023, 12:33 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
Hi, Unless you have a sentimental reason for your tv or it was mega expensive I would bring it. TV’s here are very reasonable a lot are very cheap.
Wouldn't?
Old Aug 23rd 2023, 6:11 pm
Just Joined

loveycomma is an unknown quantity at this point

Understand maybe if it's an issue of e-waste or environmental reasons but.. schlepping a TV across the ocean seems overkill considering how much cargo costs. Sell it and then use the money to buy a newer one here?