Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Can I use spouse’s bank statement for ancestry Visa?

Can I use spouse’s bank statement for ancestry Visa?

Old Aug 23rd 2023, 6:37 am
Just Joined

bek94 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can I use spouse’s bank statement for ancestry Visa?

I’m applying for ancestry visa. My husband is already a British citizen so he is not going to be a dependent on my visa, but I would like to use his bank statement to prove sufficient funds as most of our savings are in his account.

Can I use this if he was to write an accompanying letter stating I have access to these funds, despite them being in his name? We share the same surname and I will be uploading our marriage certificate.
Old Aug 23rd 2023, 5:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I use spouse’s bank statement for ancestry Visa?

If your name is NOT on the bank statements then you cannot use these are proof that YOU have funds.
Why not open an account in your name and move some funds across?
Old Aug 24th 2023, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

As an aside, even if you weren’t applying for a visa you should think long and hard about having most of your money in an account that isn’t in your name.
What would happen if your husband died tomorrow? Would you have unhindered access to the account?
Worth checking with your bank - it will only take a few minutes and could save you some major headaches in the future.
Old Aug 24th 2023, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with the above comments and will float another idea.

My wife and I have a joint checking account but all our savings and investments are in my wife's name only. This is to minimize taxes because until recently my wife had no income other than interest and dividends which meant that they were completely tax free because in the UK people are taxed as individuals, each with their own £12,500 tax free allowance. I have company pensions which means I have used up my allowance. We are each now receiving OAP and SS which takes up all of her tax free allowance and has pushed me into the 40% band so it is still very advantageous to have all our savings and investments in her name as she is only in the 20% band.

Just a thought.
Old Aug 24th 2023, 11:14 am
Just Joined

bek94 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advice everyone! I will get my name added to this account
Old Aug 24th 2023, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
My wife and I have a joint checking account but all our savings and investments are in my wife's name only. This is to minimize taxes because until recently my wife had no income other than interest and dividends which meant that they were completely tax free because in the UK people are taxed as individuals, each with their own £12,500 tax free allowance. I have company pensions which means I have used up my allowance. We are each now receiving OAP and SS which takes up all of her tax free allowance and has pushed me into the 40% band so it is still very advantageous to have all our savings and investments in her name as she is only in the 20% band.
Do feel free to PM me if you ever find yourself single, Durham Lad.
Old Aug 24th 2023, 4:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Helen1964
Do feel free to PM me if you ever find yourself single, Durham Lad.

I’ll keep you in mind.