Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

To move or not to move…nz-uk

To move or not to move…nz-uk

Old Aug 3rd 2023, 1:26 am
Just Joined

rejc86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default To move or not to move…nz-uk

Hi all recently posted this elsewhere but just came across this bit for those thinking or having moved back to the Uk, so thought would try here too.

Just wondering if anyone has recently made the move from NZ back to the UK? And how you feel about it. Once again we’re contemplating a return, this time with a toddler, dog and a whole house worth of stuff in tow. We’re just finding the lack of family so hard at the moment. Back story - have lived here since 2009, met now husband here 2013, moved briefly to Uk (Lake District where husband is from) for just under a year in 2016 as he missed home, had a baby during lock down 2021 covid times so was super hard not having any family able to visit until he was over a year old. Currently struggling with the idea he’s going to grow up without any family other than the odd (very expensive!) visit back when we can. Also to note we love living here (Queenstown nz - mountains, walks, enough to do, nice places to eat and have coffee etc), but also were pretty happy and settled in the lakes Uk by the time we came back here in 2017 so I know we could be again…
Just looking to see other peoples feelings about when they returned. What were the good/bad? Did you miss NZ life or feel fully settled and happy to be back. We always feel so English and there’s lots beside family we do miss, but also having lived pretty much my whole working life here a big change is daunting…plus here’s so nice too and we have everything set up and very ok financially. Argh literally go round in circles 🤪
Old Aug 3rd 2023, 11:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To move or not to move…nz-uk

You could make more family…
Seriously, you sound fine where you are.
Old Aug 4th 2023, 6:11 am
Forum Regular

marigoldfairy is an unknown quantity at this point

We have been back in the UK for 16 months with no regrets, very easy transition. Loved NZ, but time for change was right for us. I don’t miss anything about NZ other than friends. We saw and did everything several times in the 12 years so felt fulfilled and at peace with that. We are now rediscovering the UK, and all the fantastic places we took for granted before.

i’d probably just think about why you moved back to the UK in the first place in 2016, and then went back to NZ.
Old Aug 4th 2023, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

jarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond repute

I was out in NZ from 2018 to 2021
moved to nz me and the wife and moved back with a 1 year old girl.

Its hard my wife really missed family and couldn’t really settle with Covid and having the baby.

We moved back to a totally different part of the U.K. in North Notts. Bought house before Xmas and pretty Settled now.

but if my wife says she wanted go to NZ or OZ I would pack my case today lol
Old Aug 4th 2023, 2:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jarv5116

but if my wife says she wanted go to NZ or OZ I would pack my case today lol
If you want NZ again, I'd recommend Pontevedra and A Coruña province .
No need to go that far and will save you thousands of €..
Old Aug 24th 2023, 1:22 am
Just Joined

rejc86 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by marigoldfairy
We have been back in the UK for 16 months with no regrets, very easy transition. Loved NZ, but time for change was right for us. I don’t miss anything about NZ other than friends. We saw and did everything several times in the 12 years so felt fulfilled and at peace with that. We are now rediscovering the UK, and all the fantastic places we took for granted before.

i’d probably just think about why you moved back to the UK in the first place in 2016, and then went back to NZ.
We originally moved back as we were planning on starting a family soon and wanted to be closer to family, but not having kids yet we got back and I to be honest hated it. I was far away from my family (a good 6-7 hrs drive) somewhere I’d never lived, didn’t know anyone it was all my husbands friends, family etc. and I was finding it hard to find work and what I wanted, plus I didn’t drive. But by the time we left after 11 months I was quite settled and enjoyed it. We came back as we both missed our life here in NZ but I think in part we didn’t give it long enough in the Uk as we were happy and settled by the time it came to leave and we felt sad to be leaving (even though I had a great job lined up in NZ and have now become a qualified early childhood teacher here). I think my main worry is financial as we have a house here and still have a few years left on a reasonably cheap interest rate and I know they’re pretty high now everywhere. One option is keeping the house here and renting it out so we have a back up to come back but then if we decide we love England then do we get hit with a crazy high tax if we sell it. And just the idea of packing and moving across the world is daunting now that we have a whole house worth of stuff, a dog, toddler etc. We’re planning on coming back for a visit next July/august and I want to do that before we make any big decisions but I know my husband is keen on just going and staying and see what happens.
Old Aug 28th 2023, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

tdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds like FOMO (fear of missing out) or a restless nature may be driving your thoughts of moving back to England, because you say you are really enjoying life in New Zealand and yet are contemplating leaving. In your situation, I'd be tempted by "if it an't broke, don't fix it".