Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Will cycling 18 miles a day kill me?!

Will cycling 18 miles a day kill me?!

Old Nov 22nd 2009, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

Location: Hampshire - Brisbane - Staffordshire and soon Devon :)
SouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Will cycling 18 miles a day kill me?!

Cheers Bijilo, I'll definitely be getting a helmet yep, and fluorescent jacket, lights, bells and whistles I hadn't considered a small rear view mirror - good idea! I'll ask the folks in Halfords about one. I'll be keeping to the quieter routes too.

Originally Posted by Bijilo123
TR1Boy makes some good points and getting a cycle mag is not as sad as it sounds -look at the ads - if nothing else, getting the bike mail order will save you a lot - esp if you get a 2009 model before the new ones come out.

You must get a helmet!

I strongly recommend a small rear view mirror (Halfords) - but check how you are going to fit it first - there are two different types.

Check your route and times of day before committing yourself - if the traffic is diabolical then it will just scare you and it will be no fun.

Good luck

A
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

Location: Hampshire - Brisbane - Staffordshire and soon Devon :)
SouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud of

I did the same impression on my way to Morrisons yesterday, my brolly didn't stand a chance against the wind and I came home looking and feeling like a drowned rat who'd ben dragged through a hedge backwards! Morrisons goodies made up for it though!

15 min ride to home? Who says the British weather is depressing.. not me

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
We had bad gales last week and I was nearly blown off my bike like Mary bloody Poppins

But at one point the wind was behind me and I had the battery on and I was home in 15 mins.
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SouthernGal_67
Cheers Bijilo, I'll definitely be getting a helmet yep, and fluorescent jacket, lights, bells and whistles I hadn't considered a small rear view mirror - good idea! I'll ask the folks in Halfords about one. I'll be keeping to the quieter routes too.
I didn't mention a helmet because they are compulsory in Oz and in all races so I wear one all the time anyway in the UK.
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 9:27 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I did the same impression on my way to Morrisons yesterday, my brolly didn't stand a chance against the wind and I came home looking and feeling like a drowned rat who'd ben dragged through a hedge backwards! Morrisons goodies made up for it though!

15 min ride to home? Who says the British weather is depressing.. not me
Well it took me 20 mins to ride home today because the Perth weather had warmed up a bit and I get tired easily in this weather so Im afraid I made use of the battery and cruised home using the throttle - terribly lazy but I was so tired, its going to be in the 30s next week and there on, so I am going to sweat an awful lot.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 12:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers Bijilo, I'll definitely be getting a helmet yep, and fluorescent jacket, lights, bells and whistles.
Reading that reminded me .... Tip from someone who used to drive a lot of miles in the car on British roads: Wear the fluorescent jacket not just at night but also in daytime, especially on sunny days.

From a car-driver's perspective: Cyclists in every-day clothes on a road with trees and dappled sunlight are just as invisible as they are at night-time.

Don't assume that just because you on your bike can see everything really clearly, the car-drivers can see you as well.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Wear the fluorescent jacket not just at night but also in daytime, especially on sunny days.
Actually a solid darker colour with a couple of flashes shows up better on ultra bright days but you're right about everyday clothes.