Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Will cycling 18 miles a day kill me?!

Wikiposts

Will cycling 18 miles a day kill me?!

Old Nov 2nd 2009, 4:58 am
Forum Regular

Location: Hampshire - Brisbane - Staffordshire and soon Devon :)
SouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud of
Default Will cycling 18 miles a day kill me?!

Well, we've just secured accommodation in a beautiful village 9 miles from Exeter. There's a village post office, two pubs and very limited bus service! I'm one of the strange people who've never learnt to drive, so am wondering how it'll be investing in a bicycle and cycling to and from work. I'm not very fit (though have stamina!) and reckon it'll probably take me about 60-90 mins to get there (any regular cyclists who can confirm this would be great)..

Alternatively looking into getting a CBT licence and hiring out a moped.. Can see myself whizzing along the country lanes at 30 mph

Has anyone taken their CBT and offer any advice in case I get on my bike and decide that I can't handle the trek?

Cheers!
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 5:10 am
A horse walks into a bar.

russmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will cycling 18 miles a day kill me?!

Starting off will take an hour, as you get fitter you'll get that time down very quickly.

9 miles each way isn't bad, I do 20 each way (not as much as I should to be honest) but it's great.

Go to the bikerdar forums and look at the commuting sections. Very helpful.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 5:13 am
Forum Regular

Ciderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud of

An hour to 1 hour 15 minutes sounds reasonable if it's fairly flat. If it's hilly it'll take a bit longer but as you get fitter the trip will obviously take less time and feel easier. Plus point is you get to keep fit on the way to and from work.

I took my CBT and then went on to bigger bikes back in the UK a few years back, the CBT stuff wasn't too hard and it's only when you get to the bigger stuff with more power where it becomes more "challenging". You could even look at an electric moped for that sort of distance I reckon and then charge it every night back home. Wonder if they come with pedals just in case...

Winter would be the thing to think about as popping along at 20-30 mph when the temperature's near freezing makes it feel a damn sight colder even with all the right gear. Narrow, icy roads in the early morning or night with cars in a rush also comes to mind.

I wonder if anyone else in your village works near your work; maybe car pooling is an option as well?
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 5:55 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I used to do about 6 miles each way and arrive all red and sweaty I was much younger and fitter and It really didn't feel like that far at all. Nowdays, that would kill me, if a juggernaut didn't run me over first. I'd opt for the moped and some really good thermals
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 6:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Gosh you are going to be so fit!!!

DH's last job had a 36km round trip and he loved it - Canberra is very different from Devon but he could knock that off in less than an hour each way (he is very fit however).

DS had a 7 mile each way ride in Cambridgeshire when he first arrived in UK - shift work during winter - and his biggest problem was that he got more punctures than he ever got in Aus so be sure that when you get your bike you carry a puncture repair kit and know how to fix your own wheels! With good clothing the weather shouldnt be a hassle

I dont see why you cant do it - I think it has some great advantages for the unwilling exerciser! Get yourself a good bike with a ladies seat!!!
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 7:28 am
h20
Just Joined

h20 is an unknown quantity at this point

You could go for an electric bike, saw this on the gadget program when I downloaded it.. Makes cycling easier, especially on the cold and windy days. Top speed around 15mph, and distance of upto 40miles.. You can even buy bolt on motors, apparently easy to install.. or if you have a drivers licence, go for a quad, and have fun..!!!

Just a thought.....
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SouthernGal_67
I'm not very fit (though have stamina!) and reckon it'll probably take me about 60-90 mins to get there.
Just be aware that if you have not done much cycling lately, and you are not very fit, you will nto be able to just hop on and cycle for an hour.

i used to cycle absolutely everywhere in my teens and early 20s. Then I got a car ... Didn't do any cycling for about 20 years until we moved to Oz. Bought ourselves a couple of bikes and set off on a leisure run to the beach.

What can I say We had to turn around half-way to the beach

If cycling to work is the plan, I would suggest starting to build up your cycling stamina now. If you haven't got a bike at present, go to the local gym and cyle there - not quite the same, but it will bild up your stamina.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

SouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud of

Fantastic advice all thanks very much! I'll get my bum down to the gym as you suggested ozhappy as I haven't cycled for a while..and def get a bike with a lady's seat quoll and yeah, relearn how to fix a puncture is great advice too.. all these things I hadn't even considered! .. I'm checking into electric bikes at the mo h20 for the times my leg muscles refuse to work, they're quite an investment financially (around a thousand quid on average) so I'll have to just bite the bullet and pedal on a regular bike I think, at least initially.. Thanks for the link to the bikerdar forums russmcp, you're right, there's heaps of info on there! Thanks again guys
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

I'll ask around and see if anyone I know rides.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 12:31 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
I'll ask around and see if anyone I know rides.
Thanks
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Ah, I can see you haven't been here long so my little joke backfired.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

sorry 'bout that! what was the joke
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

sorry 'bout that! what was the joke
I race cycles as a fairly serious hobby and compete (using the term loosely) in Ironman triathlon races, hence my username.

Had a massive accident in April that resulted in a 5 broken ribs, punctured lung, fractured hip and shaterred collarbone, which needed surgey to fit a 5" titanium plate in June.

Before the accident I cycled about 350kms per week and now I'm slowly getting myself back up to speed but am not doing more than 200-250kms per week, which is a mix of training rides with the tri club (mostly hilly), cycle racing, and time trial racing.

I have 3 bikes (was 4 but one got stolen whilst I was in hospital ), together with their various extra race wheels would probably represent about $20k.

Anyway, I digress. To your issue, personally I would stay away from womens specific saddles as they tend to be soft and wide, which on the face of it (or backside of it) sounds like a good thing, but can deform and get 'squishy' quite easily which will give you more discomfort but everyone is different so you could see how you went. Most of the women riders I know who have a female saddle have a female sports orientated saddle whist this a bit firmer all round but apparently kinder to their lady parts. A firmer saddle will ultimately help you fire your glutes without you realising it (which is a good thing) but the intial period of breaking your derrier in can be 'challenging'. But we all go through it. Don't be afraid to experiment with saddles though. It took me two years finally find one that really worked for me on the road bike and a different one for the TT bike.

A thousands pounds isn't a lot for a bike, but is for people who are looking at cycling casually and is worth looking after. You need to think about the terrain you will be riding and ultimately whether you want to do some extra riding and what kind of cyclist you want to be. Think hard about what type of bike you want ('race', flat bar hybrid, city bike, mudguards etc). Without knowing you and what you want to do I'd say the following:

If you think you want to become a better cyclist and partake in some weekend cycling and maybe some ride type events I'd say get something that is a bit 'racier' because if you have a driven streak in you that sees you wanting to be your best then you will quickly grow tired of a hybrid.

Get a hybrid (flat bars, road gears and usually fat tyres) if you will only commute now and again and may give it up (plus I wouldn't spend a grand on one of these).

Get a skinny tyred tourer (light tourer) if you will take commuting seriously and do the odd weekend ride in all weathers (these have mudguards).

Don't get a mountain bike unless you're riding up and down mountains.

One thing you may want to consider is getting a hub geared bike. These don't have front and rear derallieurs and are virtually maintenance free which is a big consideration for the casual rider in the UK with the rain and road grime etc. Shimano do a hub called Nexus (pretty I cheap I think) and Rohoff, which are German do an uber expensive one (stay away from those unless you want to blow your grand on just the gears!).

I don't know much about recreational/touring and commuting cycling. But I think Dunroving would be much more helpful than I.

BUT the one thing that will help your performance more any single piece of gear is to get a good 'fit'. This means go to a good bike shop and make sure they take the time to adjust the bike to your body and make sure they measure you first and select an appropriate bike size after. You're easy prey for a bike shop to unload something that's been on the floor for a while and you won't realise it doesn't really fit you until you've had it a while.

Being biomechanically comfortable will increase your enjoyment no end. Get on the forums (Bikeradar is good) and ask about good shops in your area and don't be afraid to travel to a good shop.

Cycling Plus is a good mag to buy it has a great reputation for unbiased product reviews and is one of the few mags that strikes a good balance for the performance and recreational rider.

Also check out the UK's 'cycle to work' tax rebate scheme with your employer.

Aplogies for any spelling erroros I'm typing this at work and have to rush.

BTW I've had 23 motorbikes and raced 600cc Production Class for years, so if you do go down the CBT route I can help you blow your cash in that direction as well. LOL

hth

Last edited by Tr1boy; Nov 3rd 2009 at 10:01 am.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 11:18 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by h20
You could go for an electric bike, saw this on the gadget program when I downloaded it.. Makes cycling easier, especially on the cold and windy days. Top speed around 15mph, and distance of upto 40miles.. You can even buy bolt on motors, apparently easy to install.. or if you have a drivers licence, go for a quad, and have fun..!!!

Just a thought.....
Ive just bought an electric mountain bike - it looks so cool not like some of the others that look like handicapped bikes with ladies baskets on them.

Mine goes up to 30mks p/h unassisted, obviously faster if you peddle, there are 3 settings, you can have it on neutral where you turn the the throttle to get you up a hill, you can have it on full assistance, or you can have it on economy which is gentle assistance.

You recharge it every 3 days and you can get 40kms on it before recharging. The seat is amazing and you dont end up with a sore beaver, Jesus I was walking like a cowboy after riding my other mountain bike.

I work on an industrial estate so can ride mine on the pavement but it gives me the help I need to go up hills as my asthma can get really bad.

It will do me until I get a car next year.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

Thanks very much for all your info Tr1boy

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
I race cycles as a fairly serious hobby and compete (using the term loosely) in Ironman triathlon races, hence my username. Gotcha! Lightbulb moment re the joke

Had a massive accident in April that resulted in a 5 broken ribs, punctured lung, fractured hip and shaterred collarbone, which needed surgey to fit a 5" titanium plate in June. wowza sorry to hear about that

Before the accident I cycled about 350kms per week and now I'm slowly getting myself back up to speed but am not doing more than 200-250kms per week, which is a mix of training rides with the tri club (mostly hilly), cycle racing, and time trial racing. Good on ya for getting back into it!

I have 3 bikes (was 4 but one got stolen whilst I was in hospital ), together with their various extra race wheels would probably represent about $20k.wow, you obviously love what you do!

Anyway, I digress. To your issue, personally I would stay away from womens specific saddles as they tend to be soft and wide, which on the face of it (or backside of it) haha sounds like a good thing, but can deform and get 'squishy' quite easily which will give you more discomfort but everyone is different so you could see how you went. Not sure my other half would appreciate me with a deformed and squishy one, or perhaps you meant the saddle Most of the women riders I know who have a female saddle have a female sports orientated saddle whist this a bit firmer all round but apparently kinder to their lady parts.Definitely a plus! A firmer saddle will ultimately help you fire your glutes without you realising it (which is a good thing) I'll take your word for that! I had to google glutes but the intial period of breaking your derrier in can be 'challenging'. haha.. yeah! But we all go through it. Don't be afraid to experiment with saddles though. It took me two years finally find one that really worked for me on the road bike and a different one for the TT bike. All this talk of saddles has brought a joke to mind (an oldie but goodie) Thor the god of thunder was riding out to battle with his band of warriors, raising his sword high in the air he cried out "I'm Thor! I'm Thor!" to which a little voice at the back of the group replied "well you forgot your thaddle thilly!" .. sorry....

A thousands pounds isn't a lot for a bike, but is for people who are looking at cycling casually and is worth looking after. You need to think about the terrain you will be riding hilly by all accounts and ultimately whether you want to do some extra riding and what kind of cyclist you want to be. Think hard about what type of bike you want ('race', flat bar hybrid, city bike, mudguards etc). Without knowing you and what you want to do I'd say the following:

If you think you want to become a better cyclist and partake in some weekend cycling and maybe some ride type events I'd say get something that is a bit 'racier' because if you have a driven streak in you that sees you wanting to be your best then you will quickly grow tired of a hybrid. That sums me up pretty well yeah

Get a hybrid (flat bars, road gears and usually fat tyres) if you will only commute now and again and may give it up (plus I wouldn't spend a grand on one of these).

Get a skinny tyred tourer (light tourer) if you will take commuting seriously and do the odd weekend ride in all weathers (these have mudguards). Sounds good too

Don't get a mountain bike unless you're riding up and down mountains. LOL

One thing you may want to consider is getting a hub geared bike. These don't have front and rear derallieurs and are virtually maintenance free which is a big consideration for the casual rider in the UK with the rain and road grime etc. Shimano do a hub called Nexus (pretty I cheap I think) and Rohoff, which are German do an uber expensive one (stay away from those unless you want to blow your grand on just the gears!). Whoah.. ok.. have made a mental note to go for the Shimano and forget the Germans!

I don't know much about recreational/touring and commuting cycling. But I think Dunroving would be much more helpful than I. Thanks, I'll go pester them too and tell em you sent me

BUT the one thing that will help your performance more any single piece of gear is to get a good 'fit'. This means go to a good bike shop and make sure they take the time to adjust the bike to your body and make sure they measure you first and select an appropriate bike size after. You're easy prey for a bike shop to unload something that's been on the floor for a while and you won't realise it doesn't really fit you until you've had it a while. Professional customer service orientated bike shop employees don't do this surely I guess they do, so will make sure when I go I tell em I want it fit to my body and enjoy their chuckles, if I were a bike I'd be the older model with rusty bits and a cranky chain!

Being biomechanically comfortable will increase your enjoyment no end. Get on the forums (Bikeradar is good) and ask about good shops in your area and don't be afraid to travel to a good shop. Okedoke will do

Cycling Plus is a good mag to buy it has a great reputation for unbiased product reviews and is one of the few mags that strikes a good balance for the performance and recreational rider. Will check that out, ta

Also check out the UK's 'cycle to work' tax rebate scheme with your employer. This is a new one on me. There is an organisation that rents out mopeds for 20 quid a week for people who live in the rural communities, and local bike shops renting out cycles for 50 quid a week. I'll definitely look into it!

Aplogies for any spelling erroros I'm typing this at work and have to rush. It must've taken you a while to type all this out - I want your job!!

BTW I've had 23 motorbikes and raced 600cc Production Class for years, so if you do go down the CBT route I can help you blow your cash in that direction as well. LOL Lol..Cheers I'll let you know on that!

hth
Thanks again for all the info I appreciate it a lot!

Last edited by SouthernGal_67; Nov 4th 2009 at 11:48 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.