Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Will cycling 18 miles a day kill me?!

Will cycling 18 miles a day kill me?!

Old Nov 4th 2009, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

Location: Hampshire - Brisbane - Staffordshire and soon Devon :)
SouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Will cycling 18 miles a day kill me?!

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Ive just bought an electric mountain bike - it looks so cool not like some of the others that look like handicapped bikes with ladies baskets on them. Yeah i hear ya there, some I've seen on Ebay look like that

Mine goes up to 30mks p/h unassisted, obviously faster if you peddle, there are 3 settings, you can have it on neutral where you turn the the throttle to get you up a hill, you can have it on full assistance, or you can have it on economy which is gentle assistance. Sounds good, I've read the max speed on a public road is 15mph?

You recharge it every 3 days and you can get 40kms on it before recharging. The seat is amazing and you dont end up with a sore beaver, Jesus I was walking like a cowboy after riding my other mountain bike. not a good look eh

I work on an industrial estate so can ride mine on the pavement but it gives me the help I need to go up hills as my asthma can get really bad.

It will do me until I get a car next year.
Thanks a lot for the info, I'm still umming and ahhing about electric or not.. if i don't have it i can't use it and will be forced to fire up my glutes (as Tr1boy so elequently put it) It would be a nice back up to have a battery though.. I'll keep ya posted when I finally decide.. Thanks again
Old Nov 4th 2009, 12:09 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SouthernGal_67
Thanks a lot for the info, I'm still umming and ahhing about electric or not.. if i don't have it i can't use it and will be forced to fire up my glutes (as Tr1boy so elequently put it) It would be a nice back up to have a battery though.. I'll keep ya posted when I finally decide.. Thanks again
Well I rode mine home for the first time yesterday and it was fantastic. You still have to pedal, in fact in order for the motor to kick in, you have got to pedal.

I had it on 'Economy' for going up the hill - obviously didnt need it for the flat and when I cycled, it was like someone was giving me a push from behind and I managed the hill easily.

You still have to work - quite hard but for once I didnt get breathless enough to take my inhaler. I was puffed out but in a far better way than an 'asthmatic' way.

I normally dismount for hills but it was a breeze. This morning it took me 25 mins to get into work instead of the usual 40 mins, I was sweating like a pig as it was very humid and I was slightly out of breath but my god do I feel alot better than had I pushed myself with my normal mountain bike.

I do believe I will become fitter but because I am not straining myself too much I dont think 'Jesus I have to cycle this morning', I actually look forward to riding it as it is extremely comfortable.

Deffo worth the money and I am glad I bought it.

This is the one I bought and I got it in the sale.
Attached Thumbnails Will cycling 18 miles a day kill me?!-galaxy_with_shadow.jpg  
Old Nov 4th 2009, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

SouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud of

Great looking bike! Did you get it online? I'm keeping a tentative eye on a couple of Ebay auctions at the mo (hoping I can sneak in for a bargain at the last minute)

Sounds like your bike has given you a lot of freedom and it's good to hear you're lovin it. I might start up a blog about my riding adventures. There's a guy on the Bikeradar has done staggeringly well with his fitness and weight loss goals.

Might even get one of those webcam helmet thingies, they look like fun
Old Nov 4th 2009, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

I do believe I will become fitter but because I am not straining myself too much I dont think 'Jesus I have to cycle this morning',
I often get quite religious on my tougher rides as well.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 2:12 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Great looking bike! Did you get it online? I'm keeping a tentative eye on a couple of Ebay auctions at the mo (hoping I can sneak in for a bargain at the last minute)

Sounds like your bike has given you a lot of freedom and it's good to hear you're lovin it. I might start up a blog about my riding adventures. There's a guy on the Bikeradar has done staggeringly well with his fitness and weight loss goals.

Might even get one of those webcam helmet thingies, they look like fun
Yep I got it online, they safety checked it and assembled it for me.

My asthma is so unpredictable even with two inhalers, some days I can start off OK on my bike and then ten minutes later I can barely pedal. But this makes things alot easier.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
I often get quite religious on my tougher rides as well.

I love the feel of the wind on my face when I am cycling - much better than being in a car, I enjoy cycling down the costal paths as well.

Although please remind me of this if it rains this arvo as I have to get the bike home
Old Nov 5th 2009, 2:18 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
I race cycles as a fairly serious hobby ......To your issue, personally I would stay away from womens specific saddles as they tend to be soft and wide, which on the face of it (or backside of it) [wide is OK, because women's "sit bones" are wider than men's, but squishy is not OK, as Tr1boy says - so you want a women's "sport saddle" not a "comfort" model]sounds like a good thing, but can deform and get 'squishy' quite easily which will give you more discomfort but everyone is different so you could see how you went. Most of the women riders I know who have a female saddle have a female sports orientated saddle whist this a bit firmer all round but apparently kinder to their lady parts. .........
...... Without knowing you and what you want to do I'd say the following:

If you think you want to become a better cyclist and partake in some weekend cycling and maybe some ride type events I'd say get something that is a bit 'racier' because if you have a driven streak in you that sees you wanting to be your best then you will quickly grow tired of a hybrid.

Get a hybrid (flat bars, road gears and usually fat tyres) if you will only commute now and again and may give it up (plus I wouldn't spend a grand on one of these). [I saw a really nice urban/commuter bike in Cycling Plus, will look up the make/model ...]

Get a skinny tyred tourer (light tourer) if you will take commuting seriously and do the odd weekend ride in all weathers (these have mudguards).

Don't get a mountain bike unless you're riding up and down mountains.

One thing you may want to consider is getting a hub geared bike. [I agree completely, for anyone who is looking for a simple urban commuting bike and doesn't want a greasy, muddy chain to deal with]These don't have front and rear derallieurs and are virtually maintenance free which is a big consideration for the casual rider in the UK with the rain and road grime etc. Shimano do a hub called Nexus (pretty I cheap I think) and Rohoff, which are German do an uber expensive one (stay away from those unless you want to blow your grand on just the gears!).

I don't know much about recreational/touring and commuting cycling. But I think Dunroving would be much more helpful than I. [Having just put my titanium Litespeed road bike in the attic until I get back to the States, I'm definitely more of an expert on commuting these days ]

BUT the one thing that will help your performance more any single piece of gear is to get a good 'fit'. This means go to a good bike shop and make sure they take the time to adjust the bike to your body and make sure they measure you first and select an appropriate bike size after. You're easy prey for a bike shop to unload something that's been on the floor for a while and you won't realise it doesn't really fit you until you've had it a while.

Being biomechanically comfortable will increase your enjoyment no end. Get on the forums (Bikeradar is good) and ask about good shops in your area and don't be afraid to travel to a good shop.

Cycling Plus is a good mag to buy [definitely agree - I subscribe and is great for reviews of bikes and bike "stuff"] it has a great reputation for unbiased product reviews and is one of the few mags that strikes a good balance for the performance and recreational rider.

Also check out the UK's 'cycle to work' tax rebate scheme with your employer. [again, strongly endorse this as it effectively means anything up to a 40% discount on the full price, plus payments spread out over time]

Aplogies for any spelling erroros I'm typing this at work and have to rush.

BTW I've had 23 motorbikes and raced 600cc Production Class for years, so if you do go down the CBT route I can help you blow your cash in that direction as well. LOL

hth
As well as all the above (hope I didn't screw up any of the formatting), here is a review of the Top 5 leccy bikes ... a caveat I'd add is that the heavier bikes (some are 60lb plus) may be more difficult to control:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle6887513.ece

Last edited by dunroving; Nov 5th 2009 at 2:26 am. Reason: Link would not work
Old Nov 5th 2009, 2:50 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I love the feel of the wind on my face when I am cycling - much better than being in a car, I enjoy cycling down the costal paths as well.

Although please remind me of this if it rains this arvo as I have to get the bike home
But may not be so great when you are the stoker (back rider) on a tandem. [think about it ... wind, get it?]
Old Nov 5th 2009, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

[Having just put my titanium Litespeed road bike in the attic until I get back to the States, I'm definitely more of an expert on commuting these days ]
mmm Litespeed are nice bikes, just read a review of the Archon with SRAM Red in C+. One of my road bikes is a Ti bike for longer road rides, it's an Opera Palladio with Chorus. Ti rides very well.

I'll probably get custom Ti in the UK as I only bought the Opera as a 'toe in the water' for Ti.

Just ordered a new integrated aero bar for the Pinarello TT bike, $900, eek!

And I've entered my first UK race which is 'A Day in the Lakes' Half Ironman in June at Ullswater. But I've just found out about the Tour of Wessex in May which looks, err challenging.

C'mon people, it's all out there. Join the lycra revolution (revolution, geddit ).
Old Nov 6th 2009, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

Thanks very much for the info dunrovin
Old Nov 9th 2009, 6:37 am
Ping-ponger

Thanks very much for the info dunrovin
A couple of updates/suggestions:

I found the city/urban bike I mentioned before, initially given a decent rating by Cycling Plus. It was the Trek Soho: http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/catego...ho-40-08-29266

- they had a review later that rated it very highly, especially the drive belt (not chain), which was much less messy than a traditional chain. HOWEVER, they were very critical of its brakes, which they said were rather ineffective. Oo-err.

Two other classic/sturdy makes of urban/commuter/cross-type bikes are Koga Miyata:

http://www.spoke.co.uk/Koga.htm

and Thorn:

http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/

- unfortunately, both are on the rather expensive side.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

They are a tad but very nice nonetheless! I've made a note of them for future when my wallets a lil fuller

Thanks a lot
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 1:28 am
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

TR1Boy makes some good points and getting a cycle mag is not as sad as it sounds -look at the ads - if nothing else, getting the bike mail order will save you a lot - esp if you get a 2009 model before the new ones come out.

You must get a helmet!

I strongly recommend a small rear view mirror (Halfords) - but check how you are going to fit it first - there are two different types.

Check your route and times of day before committing yourself - if the traffic is diabolical then it will just scare you and it will be no fun.

Good luck

A
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 1:32 am

We had bad gales last week and I was nearly blown off my bike like Mary bloody Poppins

But at one point the wind was behind me and I had the battery on and I was home in 15 mins.
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

We had bad gales last week and I was nearly blown off my bike like Mary bloody Poppins

But at one point the wind was behind me and I had the battery on and I was home in 15 mins.

The tailwind is the cyclist's friend, as long as you're homeward bound.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.