Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Wife returning to UK after 1-year absence - 2-year spouse visa still valid

Wife returning to UK after 1-year absence - 2-year spouse visa still valid

Old Sep 14th 2012, 7:33 am
Just Joined

pipm1979 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wife returning to UK after 1-year absence - 2-year spouse visa still valid

Hello,
I've posted in a different forum about getting a visa for the States, but what I'd like to know is whether we can return to the UK if we want to after one year.

My wife is a US citizen and received her 2-year spouse visa on the old terms (ie before 9th July) in June of this year. She has lived here for over 8 years, but held a work permit during that time. She has just been offered a very good job in the states, but with a one-year contract. The job pays more than double what we earn combined here in the uk. I would also be able to work if my US visa application is successful. Hence the serious consideration of relocation for a short term contract.

Her spouse visa is valid until mid-2014, so we could return before her current visa expires.

Would she be allowed to re-enter after such a time away? We know that an application for ILR would be ruled out after that, but could she then extend her current spouse visa for a further 2 years and be able to return to our home here in the UK? (which we own, mortgaged)

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old Sep 16th 2012, 5:51 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wife returning to UK after 1-year absence - 2-year spouse visa still valid

A good question to discuss with an immigration lawyer and get advice in writing. A forum is unlikely to know the answer.
Old Sep 17th 2012, 6:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wife returning to UK after 1-year absence - 2-year spouse visa still valid

You might receive better answers over on the www.talk.uk-yankee.com forum. They have quite a few resident 'experts' that should be able to give you an answer. My knowledge has more to do with ILR/ILE than the 2yr spousal visa, so I'm just not comfy giving any specific advice.
Old Sep 17th 2012, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

pipm1979 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that. I'll try over there. Immigration is always as clear as mud, but others' experiences can help give an idea.
Cheers!