British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Why do they bother? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/why-do-they-bother-409641/)

northernbird Nov 25th 2006 2:43 am

Re: Why do they bother?

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
Were you in Oz when Australia played England in a football (soccer) friendly? Australia won and the following day's headlines in the Oz press claimed a "historic victory". Some months later, the game was released on DVD and plugged to death on the TV for Father's Day. It just seemed really desperate to have to sell DVDs of a 'friendly' .

Were you in England when England beat Australia in the Rugby World Cup. It was exactly the same, hype, street parades etc etc.

iamthecreaturefromuranus Nov 25th 2006 3:03 am

Originally Posted by northernbird
Were you in England when England beat Australia in the Rugby World Cup. It was exactly the same, hype, street parades etc etc.

I think you might find that that had more to do with it being a Rugby World Cup final.. not a football friendly.

northernbird Nov 25th 2006 3:09 am

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I think you might find that that had more to do with it being a Rugby World Cup final.. not a football friendly.

yeah it is but Australia were pleased they had won because they are not a huge soccer nation and they had beaten one of the top teams. I really don't get why people have a problem with that.

iamthecreaturefromuranus Nov 25th 2006 3:13 am

yeah it is but Australia were pleased they had won because they are not a huge soccer nation and they had beaten one of the top teams. I really don't get why people have a problem with that.

..neither do I, but I wasn't here at the time, so I can't really say if the reaction was over the top or not.

northernbird Nov 25th 2006 3:17 am

..neither do I, but I wasn't here at the time, so I can't really say if the reaction was over the top or not.

they do everything over the top particularly with regard to sporting events, I am sure it was typical of their normal reaction.

iamthecreaturefromuranus Nov 25th 2006 3:21 am

they do everything over the top particularly with regard to sporting events, I am sure it was typical of their normal reaction.

I think the poster was alluding it was even more OTT than normal because it was England, as opposed to say, Germany.

iamthecreaturefromuranus Nov 25th 2006 7:23 am

What a remarkable rant from Vash in response to a question about eftpos/switch :scared:

Quote:
I think you will find it used to be called Switch, now Maestro, in the UK... and it started in about 1988... I can't believe you are trying to claim that the Oz banking system is in advance of the UK !! You're having a laugh, surely?.

No, I am talking about Chip n Pin.

Australia has had the EFTPOS/pin system (but without the chip) for 20 years. You guys only got it in 2005 - and when it finally came in, an entire horde of Luddites rose up to denounce it, insisting that the oldfashioned method of signatures on a little piece of paper is somehow more secure than a high-tech electronic system.

Of course, this doesn't make Australia the land of cutting edge technology, nor does it prove that Australia is somehow more advanced than the UK. It's just my way of giving back some of what you dish out every day. Now you know what it feels like.

Annoying, isn't it? Winds you up, doesn't it? Oh dear. You poor little Pom. Such a classic case of mentalité de petit village.

Look, I realise that you (and some others on this forum) are desperate to disparage Australia at every possible opportunity, even to the extent of fabricating "issues" or "problems" in an attempt to justify your prejudices. The amount of scaremongering, arrogance and downright lying I've seen on this forum is quite extraordinary. (Curiously enough, a good deal of it comes from people who never quite seem to manage that final step of leaving Australia...)

But it started getting old a long time ago, and now it's just pathetic.

Either change the record and get over yourself, or up sticks to the "moving back to the UK" forum, where you can rant to your heart's content.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Vash the Stampede : Today at 6:48 pm.

sassenach Nov 25th 2006 7:29 am

its dangerous territory the australia side ,you got a different opinion on anything from the aus is great ,aus is beaut ,blah blah blah ,they get the hump .
Its boring boring boring boring boring .
Have you noticed the word POM there ,in that context it is a put down and thus i advocate VASH should be banned for insulting another member ,but will the moderators ban him ,will they heck .

busterboy Nov 25th 2006 8:41 am

Originally Posted by sassenach
its dangerous territory the australia side ,you got a different opinion on anything from the aus is great ,aus is beaut ,blah blah blah ,they get the hump .
Its boring boring boring boring boring .
Have you noticed the word POM there ,in that context it is a put down and thus i advocate VASH should be banned for insulting another member ,but will the moderators ban him ,will they heck .

If you are advocating banning Vash for that teensy infringement, your chum 'creature' would have been banned ages ago for some of the insults that he has hurled at people. :rolleyes:

iamthecreaturefromuranus Nov 25th 2006 8:50 am

Originally Posted by busterboy
If you are advocating banning Vash for that teensy infringement, your chum 'creature' would have been banned ages ago for some of the insults that he has hurled at people. :rolleyes:

Other than clashes with Hutch, who actually started that all off by insulting me, can you show me some examples please?.

busterboy Nov 25th 2006 9:00 am

Other than clashes with Hutch, who actually started that all off by insulting me, can you show me some examples please?.

I don't care who started it (are you still in short trousers)? :) We are all responsible for what we say and some of the posts that you have committed to this forum (and it was the Hutch ones I was referring to) have been quite abusive and probably not worthy of who you really are.

I know what it's like though, some folk just really get your goat! :) Hutch does not bother me at all but there is one poster......arrrgh! ;)

iamthecreaturefromuranus Nov 25th 2006 9:07 am

Originally Posted by busterboy
I don't care who started it (are you still in short trousers)? :) We are all responsible for what we say and some of the posts that you have committed to this forum (and it was the Hutch ones I was referring to) have been quite abusive and probably not worthy of who you really are.

I know what it's like though, some folk just really get your goat! :) Hutch does not bother me at all but there is one poster......arrrgh! ;)

Short trousers... yep, its the climate you know. :)
My run-in's with Hutch are simply down to the fact that i am not prepared to put up with the insults that he so freely throws around himself.. and too may people on here so readily accept. If he keeps coming on, and calling all and sundry morons, ar**holes, bell-ends and the like, then he deserves all he gets.

HiddenPaw Nov 25th 2006 9:08 am

If they were pleased with their win, then great stuff. I'm sure most nations would have moved on from a football friendly less than a week after the game. But not Australia. Australia released a DVD of the "historic victory" 6 months later for Father's Day. It's all about getting one over on the Poms. And they get their public to buy into it.

Yes, I was in Australia for the RWC. But wasn't that a competition with world-status and a very high profile?

busterboy Nov 25th 2006 9:12 am

Short trousers... yep, its the climate you know. :)
My run-in's with Hutch are simply down to the fact that i am not prepared to put up with the insults that he so freely throws around himself.. and too may people on here so readily accept. If he keeps coming on, and calling all and sundry morons, ar**holes, bell-ends and the like, then he deserves all he gets.

I think sometimes folk on the forum just get really frustrated.

Pollyana Nov 25th 2006 9:22 am

The thread you are referring to has been closed. If the insults etc from that thread are carried across into this one, it will go the same way, and people will end up with bans. Please grow up!