Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Why do so many of us leave Perth?

Why do so many of us leave Perth?

Old Nov 10th 2007, 3:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do so many of us leave Perth?

Originally Posted by Danny B
Yes it was absolutely the right thing to do. Our move to Canada had been planned for a while and we decided to go when UK house prices were at their highest, when the exchange £ > $ rate was good and most importantly when my 11 yr old Son had finished his last year at a middle School.

If we left it any later we would have struggled as houses are not selling, the exchange rate has dropped (& dropping) and it would mean disruption to his secondary School education.

We have all been very lucky, I got a job doing what I was doing in the UK, my Son & Daughter have both settled into their new way of life & new Schools fine, and my Wife has made lots of new friends.

Is life better for us? I think it is, I did start to write them all down but I don't want to go on about how great I think the place is

Can I see myself living here forever? Who knows, certainly for the next 20yrs but I would like to retire somewhere where it is hot & cheap
Does a place like that exist?......I think they call it "never,never land" don't they?
Old Nov 11th 2007, 5:26 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
Snipped the drunken ramblings
Dear oh dear, someone has been on the sauce tonight
Old Nov 11th 2007, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Dear oh dear, someone has been on the sauce tonight
Who me?...if so the only sauce I have is H.P and at times Ketchup
Jackie
Old Nov 11th 2007, 11:32 pm
Just Joined

richgina has a spectacular aura aboutrichgina has a spectacular aura aboutrichgina has a spectacular aura about

We are really struggling with the urge to go back to the UK at the moment. We have been here in Perth over 3 and a half years and homesickness has hit suddenly and very hard. Perth is lovely and we love the relaxed life here but I think when you have grown up in one place it is in your soul. My husband and I went to the same places growing up, the same primary and junior schools and have a lot of similar memories. We now want to share all that with our kids, we want them to grow up with their extended family around them, to enrich their lives. Maybe we have just appreciated how important people are.
We have a big house 5 acres of peace and quiet, big car but the wages aren't as good here and we have run out of things to do, or maybe the will to find things to do. We want to go camping with the dogs, drive to a nice country pub and have lunch on a Sunday, hop on a plane and see the rest of Europe we haven't seen. What good is nice weather when we have no family to share it with, we take the kids to the parks and we see big Aussie families there and that just makes us lonelier and feel sadder for the kids. I am so settled and happy here and adore the weather but we want the absolute best for our kids and it is time to go home. I am also desperate for a good curry.
Happy but homesick wirral girl
Old Nov 11th 2007, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

That's why we're moving to QLD-found a good curry house ! Could not find that in Perth..........

Originally Posted by richgina
I am also desperate for a good curry.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 12:04 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by melaniee
That's why we're moving to QLD-found a good curry house ! Could not find that in Perth..........
Serious? you are moving to QLD for a good curry? is curry that bad in Perth?
Well not sure about Indian, but i got a chinese last sat night, i asked for chicken curry and fried rice. The curry was full of vegetables and a couple of pieces of fatty brown chicken (puke). The rice was full of prawns and pork (puke)...in the bin it went.
I have found one place to do a nice Indian curry called 5 Rivers in Woodvale. But one place is no good is it really.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 12:06 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

We are really struggling with the urge to go back to the UK at the moment. We have been here in Perth over 3 and a half years and homesickness has hit suddenly and very hard. Perth is lovely and we love the relaxed life here but I think when you have grown up in one place it is in your soul. My husband and I went to the same places growing up, the same primary and junior schools and have a lot of similar memories. We now want to share all that with our kids, we want them to grow up with their extended family around them, to enrich their lives. Maybe we have just appreciated how important people are.
We have a big house 5 acres of peace and quiet, big car but the wages aren't as good here and we have run out of things to do, or maybe the will to find things to do. We want to go camping with the dogs, drive to a nice country pub and have lunch on a Sunday, hop on a plane and see the rest of Europe we haven't seen. What good is nice weather when we have no family to share it with, we take the kids to the parks and we see big Aussie families there and that just makes us lonelier and feel sadder for the kids. I am so settled and happy here and adore the weather but we want the absolute best for our kids and it is time to go home. I am also desperate for a good curry.
My good mates went back to the Wirral in Jan from Perth. They are chuffed to be back too.
It's just ashame when things don't work out for us as we expected, but at least we have tried
Old Nov 12th 2007, 12:19 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

It was Melbourne yesterday. Australians love twisting statistics

Originally Posted by northernbird
I read something yesterday that in 10 years time Brisbane will be the largest city in Australia.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 12:20 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themerlin
It was Melbourne yesterday. Australians love twisting statistics
I don't give a toss where it is, it won't be Perth which makes me very happy.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 6:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes I know exactly what you mean, we have been here over 9 years now and I think it was about 3.5/4 years when we just thought "we've done everything we can do now what else"....we still are always "out and about" but we make oursevles do it and really it is becoming and I hate this word "boring"...life's what you make it and all that but you need a little bit of help now and again....we do miss all the things you are saying...especially as we do not have family here and we do know our boys miss out on things....people might disagree and that is there choice but our boys will still talk about Uncle this or Auntie that and say they really miss them...especially when they are having family parties etc...we do think they miss out on that "extended" family scene so much....hence the reason we are selling our newly built house in a nice area to go home.....it has taken us a while to get to this stage (5 years ago we knew we would not be staying here but we kept giving it another go)now we have a date in mind this feeling of homesickness is turning into excitment and a bit of nerves...but we know it is right for us....
Good luck with your choice....you have stayed a good time to know how you feel and you do all of a sudden wake up and think "what about the future and my family.. kind of thing"
Jackie who really wants the Autumn to happen tomorrow!!!! it was a cold and clear skies over Lancashire yesterday....bliss.....yes the sun has sizzled my brain!!
Old Nov 12th 2007, 6:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by melaniee
You should of tried the Cinnamon on the Terrace in Vic.Park the Chef is from Birmingham (U.K) and the owner's brother owns the wonderful Indian Resturaunt near the Hotel Golden Sands in Penang..both wonderful food (still not as good as you get in the U.K...)
Jackie who is heading back to the "Curry Mile" in Manchester...maybe to some not as glam as Queensland..but to me it is Paradise...
Old Nov 12th 2007, 7:11 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

What's good about Canada, well when I say Canada what I actually mean is Kamloops in British Columbia as that is where I live right now.

Affordable housing, low crime, great Schools, lots of all year rounds sports right on our doorstep, small town feeling without being too small (80k population) and a 3 hr drive to Vancouver if you need a big city fix.
Vancouver is so far removed from a big city it isn't even funny.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

As long as you are happy-it does not matter where you are at the end of the day !

Originally Posted by brits1
Jackie who is heading back to the "Curry Mile" in Manchester...maybe to some not as glam as Queensland..but to me it is Paradise...
Old Nov 12th 2007, 7:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

God yeah !

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Serious? you are moving to QLD for a good curry? is curry that bad in Perth?
Old Nov 12th 2007, 8:20 pm

Triboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Like Colombia?
I lived in Colombia for months. Trust me, a lot of it is not hot (not as hot as you think), the cheap places are not in any barrios you'd want to live, and I'd be surprised if many here could afford the opulent houses.

Best country I've ever been to/lived in/visited though (Eng excepted )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.