Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Why do so many of us leave Perth?

Why do so many of us leave Perth?

Old Nov 8th 2007, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do so many of us leave Perth?

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Who me? or gedge?
I thought I read a thread where you said "should I try Queensland...but my kids would kill me"....maybe having to much sun.....it is getting hotter...sorry
Jackie
Old Nov 8th 2007, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
I often wondered the same thing, why would anyone leave Perth?
Big house, large pool, new car, good job, nice weather, lots of friends, it sounds like paradise.
bl--dy hell, if it was like that I would certainly not be leaving...some have that lifestyle but boy oh boy do they have to pay for it....when I was bac in he U.K this year I watched one of these new programmes about a new life in Aus (they are really pushing it overthere) and I thought "wow it looks wonderful...where is this house and area they were showing, I will go back and live there myself!!!...anyway at the end of the show it said the area...and I would not put my pinky toe in that area but boy oh boy did they make it look wonderful....and jobs were so easy to get with huge salaries...it is amazing what you can get away with nowadays.
Jackie in a large home, not bad car...no pool though...(decided with this home we did not want one..even heated you only can use them for a fairly short period).....but still wants to head back to the U.K, it's not everything.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by on a mission
Its because people cant adjust and settle down.

People feel let down and then reject the situation, and become so opioniated about it all, they pack up and leave.

Simplae as tht, but unfor, Perth settlers do appear more volatile about the area, and its a shame this happens as it plants the seed for any future settlers.
Don't think we do any damage when we go back home....I have told my family and friends etc it's time for us to go home...do I put Aus down..no..do I put anyone else off from coming over no...our nephew is thinking about it....I just think people come to Perth and work it out for themselves..they like it they stay....if not they leave or want to....some people though I have found when I say (when asked only) we are planning on going home and they like it here they are the ones who seem to put seeds of doubt in your mind..what about your house, cars, weather etc..won't get that back in the U.K.....so I think the shoe is really on the other foot....I think more people come onto this site and slag the U.K off rather than say me going on the migrants coming to Aus slagging Aus off...I would not do that...each to their own and good luck to them all.....and that is really meant.
Jackie in Perth but prefers to be home
Old Nov 8th 2007, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kez81
yeh totally agree with you , i have sent you a pm nightmare week weve had!!
Your lucky (joking...just trying to cheer you up) I have had a nightmare 12 months....to long to say....the light at the end of the tunnel does seem to be a bit brighter though...only just!!! hope your feeling better...people are here to help (not in a nosey way)...
Take care
Jackie
Old Nov 8th 2007, 3:00 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
bl--dy hell, if it was like that I would certainly not be leaving...some have that lifestyle but boy oh boy do they have to pay for it....when I was bac in he U.K this year I watched one of these new programmes about a new life in Aus (they are really pushing it overthere) and I thought "wow it looks wonderful...where is this house and area they were showing, I will go back and live there myself!!!...anyway at the end of the show it said the area...and I would not put my pinky toe in that area but boy oh boy did they make it look wonderful....and jobs were so easy to get with huge salaries...it is amazing what you can get away with nowadays.
Jackie in a large home, not bad car...no pool though...(decided with this home we did not want one..even heated you only can use them for a fairly short period).....but still wants to head back to the U.K, it's not everything.
So why did you move to Australia then? The weather?
Old Nov 8th 2007, 3:21 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

To be honest Danny, we moved here because we fell for the hype of those stupid pathetic TV show's you are on about. Big house, big pool, big car, big EGO!!!!
So, i am now a first class idiot, that i will say. The only thing that got bigger was my morgage, for a house smaller than what i had in UK, no pool and a not so bad car (had better), poor wages, big bills, crap clothes, no social life. Oh yes, OZ is great. Some it works for, some it doesn't. That doesn't mean i'm wrong and your right, or that i'm bad and your good
Old Nov 8th 2007, 3:47 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

why are you asking? do you give a damn?
Old Nov 8th 2007, 4:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest Danny, we moved here because we fell for the hype of those stupid pathetic TV show's you are on about. Big house, big pool, big car, big EGO!!!!
So, i am now a first class idiot, that i will say. The only thing that got bigger was my morgage, for a house smaller than what i had in UK, no pool and a not so bad car (had better), poor wages, big bills, crap clothes, no social life. Oh yes, OZ is great. Some it works for, some it doesn't. That doesn't mean i'm wrong and your right, or that i'm bad and your good

Come and live near me mate. We could have some right laughs (in boring Adelaide )
Old Nov 8th 2007, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Surrey to Perth and back to Surrey & Back again, Why why why
sandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to behold

We have a cockroach infested house, not really infested but have found 4 whoppers, I can not sleep properly, I keep waking flicking the light expecting them to scatter across my floor.
A large pool which at the moment just a mossie infested green swamp, an estate agent who ignores us now we have moved in, so the pool is not getting repaired, a bigger car but not better.

NO social life as I have 2 children and no childminders, we have been out twice in 21 months, without the children.

But hey what does it does matter the sun still shines.

I think Perth is a great place, a bit sleepy, it's not for everyone, as you said some settle and some don't.

I am just pleased we decided to rent here, and keep our house in the UK.

Fancy meeting for a curry soon Nu-S

Sandra

Last edited by sandrainaus; Nov 8th 2007 at 7:05 pm.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 7:51 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by sandrainaus
We have a cockroach infested house, not really infested but have found 4 whoppers, I can not sleep properly, I keep waking flicking the light expecting them to scatter across my floor.
A large pool which at the moment just a mossie infested green swamp, an estate agent who ignores us now we have moved in, so the pool is not getting repaired, a bigger car but not better.

NO social life as I have 2 children and no childminders, we have been out twice in 21 months, without the children.

But hey what does it does matter the sun still shines.

I think Perth is a great place, a bit sleepy, it's not for everyone, as you said some settle and some don't.

I am just pleased we decided to rent here, and keep our house in the UK.

Fancy meeting for a curry soon Nu-S

Sandra
My place or your's? if it's your place you can keep those cockroaches away from the curry
Or lets eat out and make all the mess we want
Old Nov 8th 2007, 7:52 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Wendy
Come and live near me mate. We could have some right laughs (in boring Adelaide )
Wish we had chosen Adelaide now. Sounds like it's the place to be...up and coming. I'm too Yorkshire for this place
Old Nov 8th 2007, 8:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Wish we had chosen Adelaide now. Sounds like it's the place to be...up and coming. I'm too Yorkshire for this place

You can take the Girl outta Yorkshire, but you can't take Yorkshire outta the girl
Old Nov 9th 2007, 2:27 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedge
why are you asking? do you give a damn?
I just find it amazing that these problems with Perth were not discovered on recce trips before moving.
I'm not talking silly stuff like if they sell Marmite, I'm talking about fundamental things like wages, houses, schooling, crime etc.

Before we moved to our city in Canada we knew more about it than some of the locals.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 9:49 am

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just find it amazing that these problems with Perth were not discovered on recce trips before moving.
I'm not talking silly stuff like if they sell Marmite, I'm talking about fundamental things like wages, houses, schooling, crime etc.

Before we moved to our city in Canada we knew more about it than some of the locals.
not everyone can afford a reccie i also think a 2/3 week stay doesnt really give you an insight to life 24/7.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 11:09 am
Tea Drinker

Originally Posted by kez81
not everyone can afford a reccie i also think a 2/3 week stay doesnt really give you an insight to life 24/7.
I'm sorry but anyone moving their family to the other side of the world without spending a few weeks checking the place out first does not get any sympathy from me, especially when they complain about cockroaches & spiders.

Just chuck the tickets on a credit card, it could save you an absolute fortune in the long run....not just financially but emotionally as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.