Wikiposts

Who Do You Think You Are?

Old Mar 6th 2010, 2:06 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who Do You Think You Are?

Originally Posted by rebs
Agreed on not paying - I've done some on my tree, we've nothing particularly noteworthy, but it's still fascinating isn't it?

I don't even pay for the subscription for ancestry.com - I try to do as much as poss on free sites or the pay as you go ones for census pages etc. I do seem to spend a fortune on certificates, as I like to have those :rofl
But they don't have to be noteworthy, there can be little quirky things you find that makes you wonder what or why. Everybody has a story.

I only worry about too much inbreeding.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
But they don't have to be noteworthy, there can be little quirky things you find that makes you wonder what or why. Everybody has a story.

I only worry about too much inbreeding.
Oh, for sure! (about the quirky, not so much the inbreeding..!)

What's it like looking for records in the US (no US connections in my tree) - in the UK (as I'm sure you know) compulsory registrations for birth, marriages, deaths came in in 1837. Going back to that date is pretty easy to get hold of records - the indexes are easily available.

Prior to that, it's parish records, which can be more tricky.

When did registrations become statutory in the US? I would guess in pioneer times, it can't always have been easy/possible to get stuff registered?
Old Mar 6th 2010, 3:20 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebs
Oh, for sure! (about the quirky, not so much the inbreeding..!)

What's it like looking for records in the US (no US connections in my tree) - in the UK (as I'm sure you know) compulsory registrations for birth, marriages, deaths came in in 1837. Going back to that date is pretty easy to get hold of records - the indexes are easily available.

Prior to that, it's parish records, which can be more tricky.

When did registrations become statutory in the US? I would guess in pioneer times, it can't always have been easy/possible to get stuff registered?
I don't know-we DID start doing a census in the 1790 so that's helpful. We have records going back to the 1600s, town clerk in charge of that, probate records etc so not so tough for me since my family stayed in the northeast. It's been a bit tougher tracing in Canada, primarily Quebec. In the US the issue is that the country kept growing and moving.
Old Mar 7th 2010, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Sophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond repute

What channel is it on?...I'd seen the trailers a few times and really wanted to see it,especially the Lisa Kudros one,my dad was from Belarus as well...wonder if the program will be repeated?,or if I can find it online?,anyone know???
Old Mar 7th 2010, 2:32 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sophia_S
What channel is it on?...I'd seen the trailers a few times and really wanted to see it,especially the Lisa Kudros one,my dad was from Belarus as well...wonder if the program will be repeated?,or if I can find it online?,anyone know???
http://www.nbc.com/who-do-you-think-you-are/
Old Mar 7th 2010, 2:33 am
Sursum corda

NBC, so whatever that is in your neck of the woods. It just started, they did SJ Parker, so the rest are yet to come,
Old Mar 7th 2010, 2:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Sophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond repute

Thenks girls,knew someone would tell me!!!!
Old Mar 7th 2010, 2:40 am
Sursum corda

Thenks girls,knew someone would tell me!!!!
DH downloaded the UK version of it for me from UK Nova last year.
Old Mar 7th 2010, 3:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Just watched the Sarah Jessica Parker episode on nbc.com....really interesting,definately will make sure to watch the next episode!
Old Mar 8th 2010, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

flagirl has much to be proud offlagirl has much to be proud offlagirl has much to be proud offlagirl has much to be proud offlagirl has much to be proud offlagirl has much to be proud offlagirl has much to be proud offlagirl has much to be proud offlagirl has much to be proud offlagirl has much to be proud offlagirl has much to be proud of

I liked the US one-I think I've watched most of the UK ones. The only thing I found a bit tedious about the US version was the mini-recap after every commercial. Look forward to seeing more of them!
Old Mar 9th 2010, 2:28 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Oooh, the US adaptation of the British TV series "Who Do You Think You Are?" is starting this evening on NBC (right now 8pm if you're in the Eastern Time zone).

Sarah Jessica Parker is on tonight.....apparently one of her rellies was accused as a witch in Salem!
Well that explains her face.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 3:30 am
Sursum corda

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Well that explains her face.
Ahem!!! MY 8th gr grandmother.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebecca_Eames

SJ Parker was in this movie that showcased her witch talents-

http://www.imdb.com/rg/VIDEO_PLAY/LI.../vi4038329625/
Old Mar 9th 2010, 3:37 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

You were just dying for any excuse to post that wiki weren't you?
Old Mar 9th 2010, 3:41 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

I love Hocus Pocus BRILLIANT
Old Mar 9th 2010, 3:44 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

I love the ones where the indignant slave decendants find out that they were actually responsible for slavery or the pompous twats find out they are from the bastard off spring of a shit house walla

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.