Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Whey, hey - house sold & heading back

Wikiposts

Whey, hey - house sold & heading back

Old Nov 6th 2009, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

merleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Whey, hey - house sold & heading back

Originally Posted by Ciderman
Thought it was time for an update on the move back to Blighty so here goes:

Sold the house (as we know), sold one car and putting the other one up for sale shortly. Got the removals booked with Williams- our own 20ft container, including all risk insurance, for $8100 CAD. Had a few quotes (most expensive was $10,500 CAD) and surprisingly Williams were the cheapest. Went with them as they were recommended by a few people on here.

Got a 6 month house rental sorted out just around the corner from my wife's best friend in a place called Quemerford (near Calne, Wiltshire). It was a house up for sale that we were looking at so if things work out we might end up buying it. Even got a job interview lined up a few days after we get back.

Everything's sorted for getting the cat back although we're still recovering from the cost. Think Mr. Moggy might have to get a job or behave really well for the rest of his life.

Got our Canadian citizenship (ironic) last week and took some flak for that on one of my other posts.

Myself and my good lady finish work 4 weeks tomorrow and if I never have to go through the experience of working in Canada again in my lifetime it will be too soon. OH will miss her work a bit I think. Finally, 5 weeks tomorrow we fly back courtesy of the "World's favourite airline" although they may not be the favourite for a lot of people if the planned cabin crew strike just before Christmas goes ahead.

Watch this space for further riveting updates.....well more riveting than watching CBC I guess. So far, so smooth
I got a warm fuzzy feeling reading this! I just cannot wait to be close to my dearest and closest friend again. WTF were we thinking moving away?? she has stuck by me through thick and thin and never once been judgemental. to have swapped that for superficial catty cows who are only interested in outdoing each other - although I have two lovely friends here in Perth - never again.

Good luck with your move back and keep us posted on how it all goes. and have a great xmas - we will still be in Oz unfortunately - baking ourselves in the garden (do you like your family well done or medium rare mam???) and batting off flies before heading indoors to the cool and listening to the *****ers we have for neighbours have yet another barny!! maybe i should just buy some mind altering drugs from them and drift off into space!!
Old Nov 7th 2009, 12:08 am
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute

Thought it was time for an update on the move back to Blighty so here goes:

Sold the house (as we know), sold one car and putting the other one up for sale shortly. Got the removals booked with Williams- our own 20ft container, including all risk insurance, for $8100 CAD. Had a few quotes (most expensive was $10,500 CAD) and surprisingly Williams were the cheapest. Went with them as they were recommended by a few people on here.

Got a 6 month house rental sorted out just around the corner from my wife's best friend in a place called Quemerford (near Calne, Wiltshire). It was a house up for sale that we were looking at so if things work out we might end up buying it. Even got a job interview lined up a few days after we get back.

Everything's sorted for getting the cat back although we're still recovering from the cost. Think Mr. Moggy might have to get a job or behave really well for the rest of his life.

Got our Canadian citizenship (ironic) last week and took some flak for that on one of my other posts.

Myself and my good lady finish work 4 weeks tomorrow and if I never have to go through the experience of working in Canada again in my lifetime it will be too soon. OH will miss her work a bit I think. Finally, 5 weeks tomorrow we fly back courtesy of the "World's favourite airline" although they may not be the favourite for a lot of people if the planned cabin crew strike just before Christmas goes ahead.

Watch this space for further riveting updates.....well more riveting than watching CBC I guess. So far, so smooth
Excellent !!
Old Nov 8th 2009, 5:05 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, shopping here in western Canada has been frustrating for us to say the least. Seem to spend most of your time driving around multiple shops trying to buy what you'd normally get in one shop such as Tesco or Sainsbury.

There's been many times I've been looking to buy a non-food item and been told "it's not in stock but we can get it in in six weeks". Good god where are we- Mars? Internet shopping is really frustrating as it's basically non-existent given the cost of getting the stuff shipped.

I read an article on shopping, particular Internet shopping here in Canada, the other day and apparently it's all to do with supply and demand- small population, long distances equals hassle. Strange how you can get a pickup or SUV in any colour and any spec level though!
I think it depends on where you are...lots of lots of choice around here. You're in the Ridge, right? In my experience the further into the deep burbs you go, the less choice there is.