Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Whey, hey - house sold & heading back

Wikiposts

Whey, hey - house sold & heading back

Old Oct 18th 2009, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whey, hey - house sold & heading back

Originally Posted by Ciderman
No worries, we're here to help each other out when we're feeling down.

I wouldn't say the UK economy is any worse than Canada to be honest. It's numbers looks bad I think because there's twice the population in England compared to Canada but i think percentage wise the two countries aren't far apart in terms of unemployment numbers.

Your dog may be a tricky decision as the move and possible quarantine in the UK will be stressful for him/her. Wonder if doggy could remain in Canada until the requisite 6 months have passed after the rabies test then he/she could come straight home in the UK without quarantine.
Thanks- both my woofies have had the rabies titre test in 2006 and we have kept up rabies shots rigidly since then so I am assuming that there would be no quarantine?

Its just the fact of her travelling at all, shes blind and would be very frightened and we don;t think she would make it- is she could sit on my lap no problem.....shame the airlines don't let us owners sit withthem...
Old Oct 18th 2009, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonfrank123
The economy isn't any worse or better than Canada. In fact if you have Canadian Dollars now is probably the best time to get them back into pounds and over here. The exchange rate is amazing!!

My wife was offered 3 jobs after looking for 2 weeks, My business is moving along nicely, Ok our house is a little smaller than what we were renting in Canada and our car a bit older, but I really couldn't care less
Hi Jonfrank, thanks for the info-thats good news- if you don;t mind me asking what line of work are you both in? What is the exchange rate right now?
Old Oct 18th 2009, 7:21 am
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Sorry, this is OT, but I just got a flyer about Ocado ... also indicated they match Tesco prices or something like that(?)

Few quick Q's:

How much does it cost?

Do you have to have a Waitrose nearby? Nearest to me is Edinburgh (42 miles), though they are supposedly opening a branch in the West End of Glasgow, about 10 miles from me ...

And lastly, do you not end up with the fag-end produce (i.e., when you're in the store you can pick out the strawberries that are already going off, etc.)?

As a busy person who hardly has time to do grocery shopping, the idea of delivery is very appealing.
It's a bit more expensive but not having to drive and spend time in the shop makes up for it. We are only 7 miles from the nearest Waitrose at Witney, your probably best off checking their web site.

The food has been fine for us, I think they delivered dodgy strawberry's once but they refunded our bill for that,

Hope this helps
Old Oct 18th 2009, 7:28 am
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shelley748
Hi Jonfrank, thanks for the info-thats good news- if you don;t mind me asking what line of work are you both in? What is the exchange rate right now?
OH is a book keeper, and I run a marketing business. You can keep track of Exchange rates on Yahoo finance. I just changed £580 from $C1000. 18 or so months ago you would be lucky to get £450. Therefore each $1000 you have is worth £130 more than then. Amazing !!!
Old Oct 18th 2009, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jonfrank123
OH is a book keeper, and I run a marketing business. You can keep track of Exchange rates on Yahoo finance. I just changed £580 from $C1000. 18 or so months ago you would be lucky to get £450. Therefore each $1000 you have is worth £130 more than then. Amazing !!!
Thanks- good luck to you and your 2nd chance at UK life!!
Old Oct 18th 2009, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah house sold complete on 6th Nov, notice handed in today and flights booked end of Jan UK here we come,

you guys certainly got a good deal on the dog airfare all in our precious pooch is costing $4k NZD $1k more than our 3 flights! at current exchange rates thats 1800GBP! thats not including the rabies jab or the blood test another $500 NZD!

bad news is we will be in a small holiday home from November as the furniture is going early 2 rooms over xmas oh joy lets hope for sunshine. NZ is no different to Oz or Canada we have been we have tried and thats what counts other than the financial loss! my DD (9) is treating it as his OE hey we may be able to reclaim in future years!
Old Oct 20th 2009, 12:28 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, shopping here in western Canada has been frustrating for us to say the least. Seem to spend most of your time driving around multiple shops trying to buy what you'd normally get in one shop such as Tesco or Sainsbury.

There's been many times I've been looking to buy a non-food item and been told "it's not in stock but we can get it in in six weeks". Good god where are we- Mars? Internet shopping is really frustrating as it's basically non-existent given the cost of getting the stuff shipped.

I read an article on shopping, particular Internet shopping here in Canada, the other day and apparently it's all to do with supply and demand- small population, long distances equals hassle. Strange how you can get a pickup or SUV in any colour and any spec level though!
LOL!

Internet shopping in Canada's bad because so much comes from the States, so there's tax plus Canada Post's $5 to collect it. It often has to travel a long way, too. I've shipped gifts within Canada without trouble, though.

I have to say that otherwise I find it the other way. A Canadian Mall would have a department store, a discount store like Zellers, and a supermarket plus lots of smaller stores all under one roof, and most towns would have one or more. It's true, though, that unless there's a Super Walmart there won't be good food selection and other goods in one store.

I'm missing bulk items. I'm used to buying flour in 10kg bags in my supermarket. (Like to make my own bread.) 2 or 4 litre refill of liquid soap. Same of spray cleaner. Big bag of grated mozarella. (Like to make my own pizza.) etc etc

I've been looking for bulk food warehouses without any luck. Anyone know where to find them?

Bev
Old Oct 20th 2009, 12:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Makro was the name of one of the bulk buy places- I thought that Lidols also sold stuff in bigger packets.

Originally Posted by Bevm
LOL!

Internet shopping in Canada's bad because so much comes from the States, so there's tax plus Canada Post's $5 to collect it. It often has to travel a long way, too. I've shipped gifts within Canada without trouble, though.

I have to say that otherwise I find it the other way. A Canadian Mall would have a department store, a discount store like Zellers, and a supermarket plus lots of smaller stores all under one roof, and most towns would have one or more. It's true, though, that unless there's a Super Walmart there won't be good food selection and other goods in one store.

I'm missing bulk items. I'm used to buying flour in 10kg bags in my supermarket. (Like to make my own bread.) 2 or 4 litre refill of liquid soap. Same of spray cleaner. Big bag of grated mozarella. (Like to make my own pizza.) etc etc

I've been looking for bulk food warehouses without any luck. Anyone know where to find them?

Bev
Old Nov 5th 2009, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

Ciderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud of

Thought it was time for an update on the move back to Blighty so here goes:

Sold the house (as we know), sold one car and putting the other one up for sale shortly. Got the removals booked with Williams- our own 20ft container, including all risk insurance, for $8100 CAD. Had a few quotes (most expensive was $10,500 CAD) and surprisingly Williams were the cheapest. Went with them as they were recommended by a few people on here.

Got a 6 month house rental sorted out just around the corner from my wife's best friend in a place called Quemerford (near Calne, Wiltshire). It was a house up for sale that we were looking at so if things work out we might end up buying it. Even got a job interview lined up a few days after we get back.

Everything's sorted for getting the cat back although we're still recovering from the cost. Think Mr. Moggy might have to get a job or behave really well for the rest of his life.

Got our Canadian citizenship (ironic) last week and took some flak for that on one of my other posts.

Myself and my good lady finish work 4 weeks tomorrow and if I never have to go through the experience of working in Canada again in my lifetime it will be too soon. OH will miss her work a bit I think. Finally, 5 weeks tomorrow we fly back courtesy of the "World's favourite airline" although they may not be the favourite for a lot of people if the planned cabin crew strike just before Christmas goes ahead.

Watch this space for further riveting updates.....well more riveting than watching CBC I guess. So far, so smooth

Last edited by Ciderman; Nov 5th 2009 at 9:34 am.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 9:18 am
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

good luck on your travels, lets hope you removals go smoothly mine yesterday was a day from hell!
Old Nov 5th 2009, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

Ciderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by janeyk
good luck on your travels, lets hope you removals go smoothly mine yesterday was a day from hell!
Congratulations on heading back. Day from hell as in chaos or were there a few "bumps"?

Last edited by Ciderman; Nov 5th 2009 at 9:29 am.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

The removal crew turned up an hour late than stated came in with oily shoes all over a new carpet scrapped their bag agains the newly painted wall, it encompassed 3 crew one of which was in training, after wondering around the house they said this will be easy 4.30 fininsh!
The trainer turned up andan hour later and proceeded to rip the person apart who seemed extremly slow needless to say at 7pm half the furniture was thrown on the van unpacked, un wrapped we were told we could help by packing books etc which we did no packaging provided and the guys yesterday said I should not of done this and they needed to be repacked in their boxes our boxes were then just chucked onto the lorry. to top it all by the time we locked up and had something to eat we missed the fireworks in towna and had floods of reas from DD.
Today is completion day and so far the bank has cocked up after ringing me last week to confirm they were aware and what I was clearing off and no there would be no more mortgage payments as I was settling next week they have taken a mortgage payment from our account leaving us little money that will not buy this weeks food
Old Nov 5th 2009, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by janeyk
The removal crew turned up an hour late than stated came in with oily shoes all over a new carpet scrapped their bag agains the newly painted wall, it encompassed 3 crew one of which was in training, after wondering around the house they said this will be easy 4.30 fininsh!
The trainer turned up andan hour later and proceeded to rip the person apart who seemed extremly slow needless to say at 7pm half the furniture was thrown on the van unpacked, un wrapped we were told we could help by packing books etc which we did no packaging provided and the guys yesterday said I should not of done this and they needed to be repacked in their boxes our boxes were then just chucked onto the lorry. to top it all by the time we locked up and had something to eat we missed the fireworks in towna and had floods of reas from DD.
Today is completion day and so far the bank has cocked up after ringing me last week to confirm they were aware and what I was clearing off and no there would be no more mortgage payments as I was settling next week they have taken a mortgage payment from our account leaving us little money that will not buy this weeks food
Sorry to hear that, last thing you need when you're about to fly to the other side of the world. For me the removals and clearing the house sale/transferring the funds to the UK are the most nerve wracking part. Hopefully the rest of the move will go a bit more smoothly and you can relax and enjoy some bubbly on the flight back. Good luck and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 10:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks waiting on tenderhooks for the sale now I feel a bottle of wine needs to be opended tonight or 2 have 12 to drown before I exit this GFP
Old Nov 5th 2009, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

NotTooShabby will become famous soon enoughNotTooShabby will become famous soon enough

Thought it was time for an update on the move back to Blighty so here goes:

Sold the house (as we know), sold one car and putting the other one up for sale shortly. Got the removals booked with Williams- our own 20ft container, including all risk insurance, for $8100 CAD. Had a few quotes (most expensive was $10,500 CAD) and surprisingly Williams were the cheapest. Went with them as they were recommended by a few people on here.

Got a 6 month house rental sorted out just around the corner from my wife's best friend in a place called Quemerford (near Calne, Wiltshire). It was a house up for sale that we were looking at so if things work out we might end up buying it. Even got a job interview lined up a few days after we get back.

Everything's sorted for getting the cat back although we're still recovering from the cost. Think Mr. Moggy might have to get a job or behave really well for the rest of his life.

Got our Canadian citizenship (ironic) last week and took some flak for that on one of my other posts.

Myself and my good lady finish work 4 weeks tomorrow and if I never have to go through the experience of working in Canada again in my lifetime it will be too soon. OH will miss her work a bit I think. Finally, 5 weeks tomorrow we fly back courtesy of the "World's favourite airline" although they may not be the favourite for a lot of people if the planned cabin crew strike just before Christmas goes ahead.

Watch this space for further riveting updates.....well more riveting than watching CBC I guess. So far, so smooth
Funnily enough my job is the only thing I'll really miss. Mind you I work for the LCBO and being a bit of a piss head I'm in my element there. Seriously though it's not good. As a "Permanent Casual" worker I get no guaranteed hours, no benefits, no sick pay, no holiday pay and can expect to stand in line for at least 10 years to get a proper full time job. Not enough to keep me here I'm afraid but it has been an education in all things alcoholic!! Maybe have to apply at Oddbins or something. Cheers!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.