Where to re-settle in UK?

Old Oct 10th 2009, 3:19 pm
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to re-settle in UK?

Originally Posted by aes1
King Kong, I am going back soon and am focusing on Dorset, even though I have never lived there and really have no first hand experience of it. I am wondering why you say it gets your vote..... I would be looking at the coast. Any info much appreciated. I am not planning on buying, just renting a flat for now.
i lived there before coming to australia , its a marvellous part of the country ,great scenery ,great walks , its got everything thats typical english with good towns like bournemouth ,poole ,dorchester ,weymouth amongst tons of quaint villages .I believe it would take a life time to discover the county of dorset with every drive out taking you to a place you have never been before .
In many respects i regret leaving dorset , i felt like i was on holiday every day as it isnt my place of birth or where i grew up .But that is where i will end up eventually ,if not straight away it wont be long .
P.S if you want pointers on where to live etc ,then ask me i know the area very very well .
Old Oct 10th 2009, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

NotTooShabby will become famous soon enoughNotTooShabby will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by king kong
I like wales and have good friends there too just up from merthyr in a place called focrw . Great people and have had it tough too but retain their sense of humour and once they get to know you they certainly arent any way insulting to outsiders as long as you show you spend a fair amount of time around the village , they arent stupid there isnt the work there these days and some people have to spend time over the bridge in england working .
The last time i was in North wales they were equally as welcoming ,obviously more militant but to be honest they seemed more cheesed off with the fact the polish have been treated better in some respects in regards to their language use .
I was talking to an old guy and he said '' we been fighting the bloody english a thousand years but its not them we fear now ,its the polish they get language rights the minute they land here ''.
Read into that what you like and im not trying to start a racial debate but after what the welsh have been thru i can understand his point .
Wales very much reminds me in many ways what the whole of britain was like 30-40 years ago , people very friendly once they get to welcome you into the community ,sure its a battle sometimes but its worth it .
I was working back in Blighty a few years ago and have a lot of respect for the Polish guys I was working with. It's not easy to up sticks and move to a foreign country, especially when you don't speak the language. Something us expats know all too well. They were there 'cause they wanted to work and make a better life for themselves and their families and they sent most of their wages back home. I know Britain was kind of overwhelmed by the numbers that came but that was the fault of the British Government, not the Polish immigrants.

Last edited by NotTooShabby; Oct 10th 2009 at 3:35 pm.
Old Oct 10th 2009, 3:49 pm
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NotTooShabby
I was working back in Blighty a few years ago and have a lot of respect for the Polish guys I was working with. It's not easy to up sticks and move to a foreign country, especially when you don't speak the language. Something us expats know all too well. They were there 'cause they wanted to work and make a better life for themselves and their families and they sent most of their wages back home. I know Britain was kind of overwhelmed by the numbers that came but that was the fault of the British Government, not the Polish immigrants.
Agreed .many british including myself did it in germany ,its not a direct attack on the polish and indeed i know a few poles and they are very hard workers indeed . I am just repeating what an indeginous member of the british isles said to me .
No doubt a fair amount of money was sent out of the uk back to poland and if a general conversation i had with a builder in uk was anything to go by then ''them living on spuds '' and sending all the money home must have been a negative effect on the economy ,sure they may well have been paying tax but millions going out everyweek to overseas isnt good .
Old Oct 10th 2009, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

NotTooShabby will become famous soon enoughNotTooShabby will become famous soon enough

Agreed .many british including myself did it in germany ,its not a direct attack on the polish and indeed i know a few poles and they are very hard workers indeed . I am just repeating what an indeginous member of the british isles said to me .
No doubt a fair amount of money was sent out of the uk back to poland and if a general conversation i had with a builder in uk was anything to go by then ''them living on spuds '' and sending all the money home must have been a negative effect on the economy ,sure they may well have been paying tax but millions going out everyweek to overseas isnt good .
I didn't read as one and I apologise if my reply sounded as if i did.
Old Oct 10th 2009, 4:09 pm
poole ,dorset . love it

I didn't read as one and I apologise if my reply sounded as if i did.
No apology needed ,it was most likely me being a twat.
Old Oct 10th 2009, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

If that was you being a twat then I dare say you must be a thoroughly decent bloke. Cheers Squire.
Old Oct 11th 2009, 1:10 am
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

i lived there before coming to australia , its a marvellous part of the country ,great scenery ,great walks , its got everything thats typical english with good towns like bournemouth ,poole ,dorchester ,weymouth amongst tons of quaint villages .I believe it would take a life time to discover the county of dorset with every drive out taking you to a place you have never been before .
In many respects i regret leaving dorset , i felt like i was on holiday every day as it isnt my place of birth or where i grew up .But that is where i will end up eventually ,if not straight away it wont be long .
P.S if you want pointers on where to live etc ,then ask me i know the area very very well .

Thanks King Kong, I will. I have to sell this house first, so in the meantime I am scouting around on line ,but have no clue other than to actually start in Bournemouth - thinking it is easier to get to from London Gatwick/Heathrow. That means physically stay there when I get off the plane. Any areas to avoid? Some other poster suggested Boscome was not so good? I like the look of Poole, but seem to think it is much more expensive. I need somewhere quiet, a village but not isolated, that still has public transport access as I won't be driving. Also close to the coast as I live 10 minutes away now and will miss the ocean!! Not asking for much am I?? I was wondering about trying to get a housesit for a few weeks in Dorset, to explore further. Anyone tried that? There is a good site called housecarers.com. Haven't done it myself but do know someone who has in this country and likes it.
Old Oct 11th 2009, 1:49 am
poole ,dorset . love it

Thanks King Kong, I will. I have to sell this house first, so in the meantime I am scouting around on line ,but have no clue other than to actually start in Bournemouth - thinking it is easier to get to from London Gatwick/Heathrow. That means physically stay there when I get off the plane. Any areas to avoid? Some other poster suggested Boscome was not so good? I like the look of Poole, but seem to think it is much more expensive. I need somewhere quiet, a village but not isolated, that still has public transport access as I won't be driving. Also close to the coast as I live 10 minutes away now and will miss the ocean!! Not asking for much am I?? I was wondering about trying to get a housesit for a few weeks in Dorset, to explore further. Anyone tried that? There is a good site called housecarers.com. Haven't done it myself but do know someone who has in this country and likes it.
Areas around bournemouth /poole to avoid would be , charminster ,boscombe ,turlin moor ,kinson ,parts of hamworthy , im not keen on creekmoor or canford heath .
i prefer poole to bournmouth ,poole has a certain feel and and to be honest id live anywhere in poole except ,turlin moor ,canford heath and creekmoor . All the others i have listed come under bournemouth .
I know a town thats not isolated and has all u want and thats wareham which is around towards swanage from poole .i like the town personally .
I most likely will end up in parkstone ,which has a feel about it too you either like it or dont .I cant quiet put my finger on it but i guess theres a few scallywags there and gypsie familys like the nelsons and the stanleys but i just like it and always fitted in nicely , maybe the fact my grand ma was a gypsie may have helped .
Old Oct 11th 2009, 2:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

cally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Where to re-settle in UK?

I hate that word Mr Kong lol xxxxxxxxxx
Old Oct 11th 2009, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

easty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant future

I agree completely! I worked with a Czech guy back home and he was the nicest man you could meet. Living in a shared house in crap conditions and sending most of his wages back home so his two teenage kids could have a good education and his family a decent standard of living; at the same time only getting to see them perhaps once a year. The sacrifices people like these make are incredible and they just take it in their stride.
Old Oct 11th 2009, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Hampshire - Brisbane - Staffordshire and soon Devon :)
SouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud of

I was wondering about trying to get a housesit for a few weeks in Dorset, to explore further. Anyone tried that? There is a good site called housecarers.com. Haven't done it myself but do know someone who has in this country and likes it.
I hadn't heard of this before but sounds like a fantastic idea! I've signed up, done a profile etc and will let you know how I get on
Old Oct 11th 2009, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by SouthernGal_67
I hadn't heard of this before but sounds like a fantastic idea! I've signed up, done a profile etc and will let you know how I get on
Wow, great, you are further than me!! I have thought about signing up but don't have a definite date for leaving US yet (house to sell). Did you say when you were available in your profile? Yes, please let me know if you get any replies!!! Are you thinking of UK or elsewhere?
Old Oct 11th 2009, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Areas around bournemouth /poole to avoid would be , charminster ,boscombe ,turlin moor ,kinson ,parts of hamworthy , im not keen on creekmoor or canford heath .
i prefer poole to bournmouth ,poole has a certain feel and and to be honest id live anywhere in poole except ,turlin moor ,canford heath and creekmoor . All the others i have listed come under bournemouth .
I know a town thats not isolated and has all u want and thats wareham which is around towards swanage from poole .i like the town personally .
I most likely will end up in parkstone ,which has a feel about it too you either like it or dont .I cant quiet put my finger on it but i guess theres a few scallywags there and gypsie familys like the nelsons and the stanleys but i just like it and always fitted in nicely , maybe the fact my grand ma was a gypsie may have helped .
Thanks for this info, very helpful. Great! I have thought about Poole before, but people say it is very expensive there. Will have to do more research as time gets closer. Just have to get this d....... house soldthen I can start some serious planning.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 1:32 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

I remember the sketch (not the 9 o'clock news?). Come home to a real fire.........Buy a cottage in Wales.
"Come home to a real fire" was the advertising slogan used by the National Coal Board at the time. As you pointed out, it was adapted to apply to the situation in Wales at the time.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 1:42 am
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
What makes them interesting though, is that they seemed to come about due to Brits buying second homes in Wales and pushing up local house prices there,
The Welsh people are from Britain (Brits) too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.