Where to re-settle in UK?

Old Oct 8th 2009, 1:14 pm
rab
Forum Regular

rab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond repute
Default Where to re-settle in UK?

My wife said that she wants to "get as far away from Adelaide as she can". Funny cos she was born here.

Anyway, we don't know where to go in UK and would be interested in advice.

I am 45, wife is 32, our daughter is 2. We love the country and the peace and seclusion we have here in the Adelaide Hills and we enjoy our jobs here. But we are bored sick of Adelaide, hate the monoculture here and have real worries about the education here.

As for UK we want to live in the country and start our own business (tourism / property developing / farming / consultancy). We want a property with land so will get better value up north.

My home town is in the W Midlands but since my parents died have little connection back there. I love the Lake District, wife loves Scotland. We've good friend / family connections in Geordieland, Berkshire, Liverpool and Devon.

We literally don't have a clue where to live. We fancy Skye and Lochalsh but have also been looking at Aberdeenshire, Lancashire and Dorset. Shit, how do we narrow it down?
Old Oct 8th 2009, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Where to re-settle in UK?

Originally Posted by rab
My wife said that she wants to "get as far away from Adelaide as she can". Funny cos she was born here.

I am 45, wife is 32, our daughter is 2. We love the country and the peace and seclusion we have here in the Adelaide Hills and we enjoy our jobs here. But we are bored sick of Adelaide, hate the monoculture here and have real worries about the education here.

As for UK we want to live in the country and start our own business (tourism / property developing / farming / consultancy). We want a property with land so will get better value up north.

My home town is in the W Midlands but since my parents died have little connection back there. I love the Lake District, wife loves Scotland. We've good friend / family connections in Geordieland, Berkshire, Liverpool and Devon.

We literally don't have a clue where to live. We fancy Skye and Lochalsh but have also been looking at Aberdeenshire, Lancashire and Dorset. Shit, how do we narrow it down?
Try the Carlisle area. Property is reasonably priced and you are close to the Lake District and Scotland. Or, see where you can find a suitable property and take it from there. Here is a bargain property site:

http://www.propertysnake.co.uk/
Old Oct 8th 2009, 1:25 pm
rab
Forum Regular

rab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond repute

cool will take a look right now.... and thanks for your other response re exchange / equity
Old Oct 8th 2009, 2:34 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnh009
Try the Carlisle area. Property is reasonably priced and you are close to the Lake District and Scotland. Or, see where you can find a suitable property and take it from there. Here is a bargain property site:

The North does tend to be a lot cheaper than the South West. Don't know what your requirements are, but Scotland is maybe a little remote and difficult to get around (a 30 mile journey in Scotland will take you as long as a 45/50 mile drive elsewhere).

However, in Scotland you will probably get more for your money again.

Carlisle is a nice area and cheap as the previous posters says, plus near countryside and Scotland/Lakes.

As mentioned in other posts on this forum, a big key consideration is to keep away from anywhere which is 'infested' with Chavs or hoodies (ie Rat like vermin).
Old Oct 8th 2009, 2:57 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rab

We came back with no particular connections to return to, but we were certain we wanted coast. We chose Whitby and we'll see how that works out.

You want land, but you don't say what you want to do with it. I think, for example, that land in the Lake District is of limited use unless you just want space around you.

Land's definitely cheaper up north. Some friends are looking for about 10 acres and they're looking in Yorkshire now because it will be cheaper than most midland places. They were looking in Shropshire and Cheshire. IMO, southern Lancashire is congested and I wouldn't live there. Further north is good but you're getting into moors so the land is of less use.

Lastly, there are differences between northerners and southerners -- generalizing of course. Neither's better than the other, but you might feel more at home in one area or the other. We decided to give the north a try first.

My comments, FWTW,

Bev.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 3:02 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Wales
Old Oct 8th 2009, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by rab
cool will take a look right now.... and thanks for your other response re exchange / equity
You may wish to read this also. Good news for those of us returning:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/mortgag...age_id=57&ct=5
Old Oct 9th 2009, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

I'd suggest you go to within an hour's drive or less of your best family/friend connections. Remember the weather in the North is quite a bit grimmer than the South. I can say that as I was born in North and moved South .
Old Oct 9th 2009, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Wales
Not likely, if you are English, you are likely to get your home burnt down, i.e. ethnic cleansing the Welsh way.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...s-1471584.html
Old Oct 10th 2009, 1:05 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Not likely, if you are English, you are likely to get your home burnt down, i.e. ethnic cleansing the Welsh way.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...s-1471584.html
Yeah they've been around for a long time.
None of my family would live past Bangor and we are all born and bred in Wales. I always wanted to live on Anglesey where my step Dad was from, but they have become more militant as the years go by. We still see the "welsh welsh" part of the family occasionally, they are all elderly, and on their last legs, so once they go we won't even go past Bangor (thats where the big Tesco is )
I'd suggest inland a bit from the coast, places like Meliden and Rhuddlan near Prestatyn and Rhyl, not prestatyn or Rhyl unless you are really into the Morning Campers type holiday parks and lots of drunks all hours all summer.
Theres still some lovely areas with people who will speak English and not judge.
Old Oct 10th 2009, 1:27 am

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Carlisle is nice - I have a brother there. Close to Scotland and the Lakes - very nice - shame about the weather tho'
Old Oct 10th 2009, 1:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dollface
Carlisle is nice - I have a brother there. Close to Scotland and the Lakes - very nice - shame about the weather tho'
Looking at the stats, the Kent area gets the most sunshine in the UK by far. So, maybe this would be the most suitable area for people returning from warmer climates.
Old Oct 10th 2009, 1:48 am
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rab

DORSET .Rural but townie and still close to london . perfect and you wont get bored .
Old Oct 10th 2009, 1:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Looking at the stats, the Kent area gets the most sunshine in the UK by far. So, maybe this would be the most suitable area for people returning from warmer climates.
Kent/ East Sussex is probably the warmest part of the UK. I love it in Sussex.
Old Oct 10th 2009, 1:50 am
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

I actually quiet like carlisle and it still had the feel of being in the Border Reiver days of swashbuckling and kidnapping by the differnt familys from either side of the Border . seriously though its a fasinating part of the uk from carlisle to newcastle .Lots of lovely little towns on the way ie hexham and corbridge ,all good for setting something up for tourism because of hadrians wall and the easy access to scotland .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.