where do you start

Old Jan 20th 2005, 3:51 am
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute
Default where do you start

later this year moving back to England after 20 yrs in the USA....we have a bunch of "stuff" a house cars a dog and a cat.....where do people start and what process do you go through.....got a US passport and British passport......do most people take furnature etc or do they have tag sales and start fresh over there......seems to me it would be easier to sell most of the stuff and buy new stuff in England especially electrical appliances and computers etc.....just don't know where to start and need help.....any replys would be greatly appreciated
Old Jan 20th 2005, 10:06 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: where do you start

Originally Posted by psb182
later this year moving back to England after 20 yrs in the USA....we have a bunch of "stuff" a house cars a dog and a cat.....where do people start and what process do you go through.....got a US passport and British passport......do most people take furnature etc or do they have tag sales and start fresh over there......seems to me it would be easier to sell most of the stuff and buy new stuff in England especially electrical appliances and computers etc.....just don't know where to start and need help.....any replys would be greatly appreciated
Hi. We are doing the same thing in reverse, moving to US after living all our life so far in England.We too have dog,cat house car etc. We are not bringing any electrical/computer stuff as it isn't compatible with the electrical supply so yours won't be over here.
We are selling our house and cars.
We are bringing the dog and cat and they will be vaccinated under the EC pet passport scheme so that they can be brought back to the UK at any time. This all has to be done 6 months before shipping. I know that some US vets will get your pets ready using this scheme. I got lots of info from the UK ministry of Agriculture food and fisheries. I telephoned them but they do have a website .
Property is expensive over here depending where you live.
My cousin has moved to OZ and he advised us to take quite a bit of our furniture as it is comforting to have familiar things initially. We will get rid of all the junk we have accumulated either straight to the tip or possibly ebay.
If you want to buy new there is all sorts of price ranges over here depends what you like. Check out the IKEA website.
We are just plodding through the process, listening to what everyone has to say and adjusting our plans if need be. It is like a maze but I just make lots of lists.
We have tended to concentrate on one thing at a time and found out as much as possible about that, made a decision and then moved on to the next thing.
We have children so will need to find schools and I have emailed lots of schools in the area we will be moving to and everyone has replied and been very helpful.
I have used the internet to find lots of info.

Sometimes it seems very daunting and I wonder why we started the whole thing Good luck.
Old Jan 20th 2005, 10:41 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris
Hi. We are doing the same thing in reverse, moving to US after living all our life so far in England.We too have dog,cat house car etc. We are not bringing any electrical/computer stuff as it isn't compatible with the electrical supply so yours won't be over here.
Don't be so quick to get rid of electrical stuff:

- your PC will probably have a switch on the power supply to adjust the input voltage (and even if it doesn't it's not high wattage so using a transformer is feasible).

- if you have a monitor (especially an LCD screen) it may cope with dual voltage automatically

- lamps should normally work as long as you put a North American bulb in (however as far as I know you can only get screw-in bulbs in North America). If a lamp accepts this kind of bulb, or is expensive enough to be worth adapting, then it may be worth bringing.

- low wattage items (eg radio, CD player) can be run off a transformer, however most high wattage items (eg kettle, power tools, hairdryers) need such an enormous transformer it's not worth the hassle.

Jeremy
Old Jan 20th 2005, 2:11 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Don't be so quick to get rid of electrical stuff:

- your PC will probably have a switch on the power supply to adjust the input voltage (and even if it doesn't it's not high wattage so using a transformer is feasible).

- if you have a monitor (especially an LCD screen) it may cope with dual voltage automatically

- lamps should normally work as long as you put a North American bulb in (however as far as I know you can only get screw-in bulbs in North America). If a lamp accepts this kind of bulb, or is expensive enough to be worth adapting, then it may be worth bringing.

- low wattage items (eg radio, CD player) can be run off a transformer, however most high wattage items (eg kettle, power tools, hairdryers) need such an enormous transformer it's not worth the hassle.

Jeremy
Thank you. This is what i mean about getting new info all the time.
My computer is only 2 years old so I will check it out.
Old Jan 20th 2005, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

We brought all of our furniture from the UK to US and I have to say we are glad we did, its nice having a bit of familiarity around you. We also brought our computer and used a transformer, no problem at all. We brought lamps which we converted, it wasnt as simple to do that as we thought it would be but it is now done. We also brought our TV and have it in our bedroom on a transformer we thought we would be able to watch US TV but that didnt work out, so we use it to watch DVD's.

As for pets check out DEFRA website and start the pets passport scheme as soon as possible.

Its good youve finally made a decision, what a relief that must be...good luck to you.
Old Jan 20th 2005, 3:43 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

Hi. I am going through the same process. and I have been here even longer!!
It all gets so daunting so start with the things that take the longest.
First the pets. remember you will need about seven months total, so start the pet passport program ASAP. When that has been started then start reducing or consolidating debts. (if you have been here a while like me...I had three charge accounts, rolled them into one with lowest interest rate and now am concentrating paying off that one. Phone a few realtors and find out the average time in your area for house sales. then start room to room touching up for a quick sale. We decided to go through our stuff and decide what we want to keep and what we want to get rid of. I have already had two yard sales and will have another one closer to our time of leaving. We have decided not to take electrical (except computers). we are taking furniture in good condition because with the exchange rate it will be harder for us to replace it all initially and easier for the pets as well. It will be enough to put them through with the flight and a new home so at least maybe they will settle sooner with some familiar things around. we have phoned some movers but are told to call back as overseas shipping only has a quote good for thirty days. We are selling the cars too.
What is confusing to us is what we'll do last minute.
What on earth do you do if your house and car sells too soon or too late???
And when do you book the flights?
dont know if any of this helps or not.
Old Jan 20th 2005, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by callë
First the pets. remember you will need about seven months total, so start the pet passport program ASAP. When that has been started then start reducing or consolidating debts. (if you have been here a while like me...I had three charge accounts, rolled them into one with lowest interest rate and now am concentrating paying off that one. Phone a few realtors and find out the average time in your area for house sales. then start room to room touching up for a quick sale. We decided to go through our stuff and decide what we want to keep and what we want to get rid of. I have already had two yard sales and will have another one closer to our time of leaving. We have decided not to take electrical (except computers). we are taking furniture in good condition because with the exchange rate it will be harder for us to replace it all initially and easier for the pets as well. It will be enough to put them through with the flight and a new home so at least maybe they will settle sooner with some familiar things around. we have phoned some movers but are told to call back as overseas shipping only has a quote good for thirty days. We are selling the cars too.
Could you not make it a condition of sale with your house that the purchaser cannot move in til a specific date. Also with your cars could you not agree a price and arrange for a garage to take them off your hands on a specific date?
Old Jan 20th 2005, 4:13 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladylisa
Could you not make it a condition of sale with your house that the purchaser cannot move in til a specific date. Also with your cars could you not agree a price and arrange for a garage to take them off your hands on a specific date?

Thanks ladylisa. some good thoughts. I dont know much about selling a house but I will certainly ask if we can have that as a condition.
My mind is swimming with all there is to do. Good thing for fellow posters with some good ideas!
Old Jan 20th 2005, 4:35 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

..... What is confusing to us is what we'll do last minute.
Couple of things that worked for me:

House: Selling the house is the most important thing. If you get a good offer it may be worth moving out early if the new owner really insists. Many buyers are quite flexible. Depending on the situation, even if they want to close early for their peace of mind they may let you stay there, renting, until your departure date. Alternatively, do you have friends you could stay with?

Car: Similar situation (you want to make sure you sell it before you leave), but less stressful than the house thing. If your car is fairly "cheap", it will probably be easier to find a buyer who is more flexible. Many people buy cheap cars for their kids, or as second cars (rather than because they themselves are car-less or are selling their only car). Alternatively, I found a car selling business who agreed to buy my car on a certain date. Obviously you're not going to get prime dollar in this situation, but to a certain extent moving to a different country, you have to accept a loss on some things. Alternatively, could you rent a car for your last couple of weeks, or month? Paying $400 for a car rental is cheap, in exchange for the peace of mind you get from selling yours in good time.
Old Jan 20th 2005, 5:07 pm
Home at last

Originally Posted by dunroving
Couple of things that worked for me:

House: Selling the house is the most important thing. If you get a good offer it may be worth moving out early if the new owner really insists. Many buyers are quite flexible. Depending on the situation, even if they want to close early for their peace of mind they may let you stay there, renting, until your departure date. Alternatively, do you have friends you could stay with?

Car: Similar situation (you want to make sure you sell it before you leave), but less stressful than the house thing. If your car is fairly "cheap", it will probably be easier to find a buyer who is more flexible. Many people buy cheap cars for their kids, or as second cars (rather than because they themselves are car-less or are selling their only car). Alternatively, I found a car selling business who agreed to buy my car on a certain date. Obviously you're not going to get prime dollar in this situation, but to a certain extent moving to a different country, you have to accept a loss on some things. Alternatively, could you rent a car for your last couple of weeks, or month? Paying $400 for a car rental is cheap, in exchange for the peace of mind you get from selling yours in good time.

hi.
Yes I suppose we could stay with a friend, but with two dogs I would rather be able to find a buyer who would be a little flexible.
About the car. Two cars actually. Yes you are right, It would definitely be worth renting a car for the last few weeks. I think we could get more from a private buyer than from a dealer so with any luck we will be able to sell in the right time frame. If not than I guess it will be a car dealership and we will just have to cut our losses.
Peace of mind?? I dont think I will have that again untill we land safely and I collect my dogs.. safe and sound.
Old Jan 20th 2005, 6:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

your not going to belive this but actually just moved into our brand spanking new hous last saturday lol......we built it and didn't buy off a builder so we should have no problem selling it as we aready have plenty of equity in it......I guess it's the pets we have to take care of and get them sorted out.....do all vets do this ?
Old Jan 20th 2005, 7:10 pm
Home at last

your not going to belive this but actually just moved into our brand spanking new hous last saturday lol......we built it and didn't buy off a builder so we should have no problem selling it as we aready have plenty of equity in it......I guess it's the pets we have to take care of and get them sorted out.....do all vets do this ?

OMG!! Its easy for me to leave my old house, but you have just moved into a new one you had built?? It's a shame you cant pack it up and take it with you.
Yes any vet can take care of it, but we had a problem finding one that does microchipping. We finally found one (quite a drive) and had the microchip put in there then went back to our vet for the rabies. He has not dealt with passports before but was real interested and read the papers i downloaded from DEFRA. so 30 days later had the titre done and he sent it off. now we only have to hope he fills in the forms correctly as I've read there have been problems with the vets not filling them out exactly as needs to be done. I would have all the information ready for the vet if I were you. A lot of them arent familiar with it.
Old Jan 20th 2005, 7:41 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: where do you start

Here's a start:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/Audiences/B...gToTheUK/fs/en

and if your vet knows little or nothing about getting hold of the vaccinations for your pet/s, they are available from this Florida-based pet transportation service:

http://www.airanimal.com

I hope this helps!
Old Jan 20th 2005, 10:36 pm
looking for the corkscrew

bored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond repute

Jeremy
Sorry to be dense here but do you mean I can just change the plug on my lamps that I bought over to the US and the bulb and they will work? If that's the case, you have solved a problem that no man at Home Depot could! If not, does anyone know if I can get the 'innards' for the lamp from anywhere please?