Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Going Home - One way Airfares

Going Home - One way Airfares

Old Jan 16th 2005, 10:17 pm
Homesick....

Aqua2778 has a brilliant futureAqua2778 has a brilliant futureAqua2778 has a brilliant futureAqua2778 has a brilliant futureAqua2778 has a brilliant futureAqua2778 has a brilliant future
Default Going Home - One way Airfares

Hmmm i have been doing some research into airfares from Melbourne to London one way (for going home) at this stage i dont need an actual flight but was curious to get a rough idea of how much it will cost...

To my shock horror most from fares from Melbourne to Heathrow are over $6000 (AUD) with no stop overs.. and thats ECONOMY!!!

Out of curiosity i did the same search on a "return" fare and it's just over $2000.00

So im tempted to get a return flight ticket even though only going one way - stuff them.

How can that be, i want to go one way and so it costs more???? Where is the logic?

So if anyone out there has some tips... please let me know.

Ie: is it cheaper to stop over for a few days, would i be better buying a ticket to singapore, and then another ticket from singapore to london?? Is there a "cheaper" time of year?

I find paying almost $7000 AUD absaloutley disgraceful!

Thanks in advance
Old Jan 16th 2005, 11:36 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going Home - One way Airfares

Originally Posted by Aqua2778
Hmmm i have been doing some research into airfares from Melbourne to London one way (for going home) at this stage i dont need an actual flight but was curious to get a rough idea of how much it will cost...

To my shock horror most from fares from Melbourne to Heathrow are over $6000 (AUD) with no stop overs.. and thats ECONOMY!!!

Out of curiosity i did the same search on a "return" fare and it's just over $2000.00

So im tempted to get a return flight ticket even though only going one way - stuff them.

How can that be, i want to go one way and so it costs more???? Where is the logic?

So if anyone out there has some tips... please let me know.

Ie: is it cheaper to stop over for a few days, would i be better buying a ticket to singapore, and then another ticket from singapore to london?? Is there a "cheaper" time of year?

I find paying almost $7000 AUD absaloutley disgraceful!

Thanks in advance
I'm sure Englishmum will weigh in with some advice - she knows this stuff like the back of her hand.

I'd suggest you buy a return ticket, just in case you decide to go back. One of my colleagues bought a return (UK - US - UK) when he first came out here to the US (whereas I bought a single - dummy!).

Since he has been here, he has continued to buy return tickets (originating in UK) every time he goes home. So, on his first trip home he used the "return" portion of his original ticket to go home, and bought another UK - US - UK return which he used to get back here (the first part of the return).

He has continuhed doing this, and when/if he ever goes home for good, he'll already have his ticket back (the return portion of whatever ticket he bought last), whereas I'll have to buy a single (again - dummy!). He goes home at least once every year (I think there's a 12-month max on most rtn tix).

You may think you'll never go back, but never say never - get a return ticket just in case.
Old Jan 17th 2005, 12:41 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Going Home - One way Airfares

Ha ha ha Dunroving!

I absolutely agree that it's a good idea to get a return ticket because (and goodness' knows why) single tickets to travel internationally almost always cost more than a return....and of course it's quite ok to throw away the 'return' portion of the ticket if you don't need it anymore...but as Dunroving says, it's nice to have the 'security blanket' of having that ticket in case you do want to use it...however if you don't, it's highly unlikely that you can 'cash in' the unused ticket with the airline as it is normally only allowed on unrestricted tickets eg. business class and a few full-fare economy tickets (which few people ever purchase).

Here's a few websites to check out (I have no idea when you intend to travel so couldn't do very much research...but here's a start) and you will need to check very carefully if the quoted prices include airport taxes - it's a pain in the neck when they don't and it adds lots of $ to the price doesn't it?:

http://www.bestflights.com.au/cgi-bi...ights?mainlist

(Home page: http://www.bestflights.com.au). Do also check with them the one-way fares.

http://www.trailfinders.com.au (Parent company is British - originally started by a backpacker and a highly respected travel agency).

http://www.trailfinders.com.au/melbourne.htm (yes - a Melbourne office!)

http://www.statravel.com.au/ (they don't just sell tickets to students!)

http://www.webjet.com.au

As it is such a long journey almost all airlines allow a free stopover (mainly in their home country/hub destinations and some allow very cheap side-trips in their region). Don't forget to also check the airline's own websites. For example, if you were to fly with Singapore Airlines they almost always have a promotion on with their tourist board called the "Singapore Stopover". You often get a free night in an hotel or/and very reduced hotel accommodation and discount coupon booklets for tourist attractions. (I used to live there!). However, you will probably only come across this info if you go to the Singapore airlines own website.

If you fly with Malaysian you will probably also get some good offers and it's a cheap place to stay, especially for side trips to places like Langkawi, Penang etc, and with Emirates (Dubai based but with mainly British aircrew) you might want to go on a sand-dune safari. Again, look at the website for Malaysian airlines. (We flew with them from Singapore via KL to Sydney and
returning via Melbourne as the tickets were cheaper than flying with Singapore Airlines....our Aussie expat friends living in Singers always flew with Malaysian for this reason!)

The Asian airlines are often excellent in good service and comfort; on a par with Singapore Airlines I would equally rate Emirates, Malaysian Airlines, Japan Airlines and Cathay Pacific.

I would be very reluctant to fly with Philippine Airlines, Garuda Indonesia and possibly Korean. Royal Brunei is fine (but no alcohol) and usually very cheap tickets - but you would have to fly to Brunei and probably also to Dubai to get to London - but I don't think they fly out of Melbourne, and Thai airlines still doesn't have seat-back TVs (I understand on) most of their fleet.

Prices vary so much according to the season of travel and local conditions ie. they always rise astronomically during school holidays and in Asia for events such as Chinese New Year....I would ask or e-mail a travel agent to ask when the low-seasons, mid-seasons and high/peak seasons are for travel from Oz.

I hope this helps somewhat....

PS. Another thing to consider is that if you fly via the USA or Canada you will get a much larger baggage allowance. Rather than the usual 20kg allowed on economy tickets, you will be allowed two suitcases of 32kg each - yes, 64kg of luggage which you can check in! (You can't really ask the airlines to give you a bigger allowance for moving back to the UK if you're supposed to be returning to Oz on your 'return' portion of your ticket LOL!!!)

The only airlines I'm aware of which would fly across the Pacific to the UK are United Airlines and Air New Zealand, not sure about Air Canada/Canadian Airlines unless it's with a code-share ticket....strongly suggest that you get the flight prices to compare - and have a stopover in the US on your way to Blighty. I'd contact that 'Bestflights' place and definitely 'Trailfinders' if you want to consider that routing.

Last edited by Englishmum; Jan 17th 2005 at 12:59 am.
Old Jan 17th 2005, 2:19 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum

PS. Another thing to consider is that if you fly via the USA or Canada you will get a much larger baggage allowance. Rather than the usual 20kg allowed on economy tickets, you will be allowed two suitcases of 32kg each - yes, 64kg of luggage which you can check in! (You can't really ask the airlines to give you a bigger allowance for moving back to the UK if you're supposed to be returning to Oz on your 'return' portion of your ticket LOL!!!)
The problem is that to go through the US you need to clear US customs and immigration. This means you need to have the right passport/visa to do so.

The other problem is having to go through US Immigration in somewhere like Los Angeles, where the queues can be horrendous.

The only airlines I'm aware of which would fly across the Pacific to the UK are United Airlines and Air New Zealand, not sure about Air Canada/Canadian Airlines unless it's with a code-share ticket....strongly suggest that you get the flight prices to compare - and have a stopover in the US on your way to Blighty. I'd contact that 'Bestflights' place and definitely 'Trailfinders' if you want to consider that routing.

Air Canada fly from Vancouver to Sydney stopping in Honolulu. That might be an alternative to flying through Los Angeles, although you'd have 2 stops rather than 1, because there should be fewer immigration hassles. You can clear US immigration in Vancouver on the way out and by all accounts the queues in Honolulu on the return trip are not as bad as in Los Angeles. Also it's the same flight, so it's unlikely to leave if half the passengers are stuck in a queue.

Or break the journey in Hawaii.

Jeremy
Old Jan 17th 2005, 11:09 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Are return tickets "open" then? (meaning you can return whever)

Also, wouldnt this have some implication on the amount of baggage you can take, as I know some airlines give you a bigger allowance if you are emigrating?
Old Jan 18th 2005, 10:36 pm
Homesick....

Aqua2778 has a brilliant futureAqua2778 has a brilliant futureAqua2778 has a brilliant futureAqua2778 has a brilliant futureAqua2778 has a brilliant futureAqua2778 has a brilliant future
Thumbs up Re: Going Home - One way Airfares

Wow , thanks for all the advice much appreciated.

But if anyone else out there has any other tips/secrets please also keep posting them, i will certainly keep all this advice in mind.

Thanks again
Old Jan 20th 2005, 12:04 am
Just Joined

mj12 is an unknown quantity at this point

FWIW - Have a look at www.lastminute.com.au I found cheaper flights there than any of the other sites mentioned for the dates I am considering in March. Then if you goto the Flight Centre in your local plaza they promise to beat any price, just give them & printout of the price & they will check it on the net (they usually say the lastminute prices don't include taxes but they do)

MJ12
Old Jan 21st 2005, 1:17 am
Forum Regular

marbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nice

[QUOTE=Aqua2778] Don't go by what the websites say they aren't correct. I've just got my one way ticket from auckland to manchester and it is $1450. It was much cheaper than getting a return so don't rush into buying anything yet.
Old Jan 21st 2005, 2:33 am

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=marbles]
Originally Posted by Aqua2778
Don't go by what the websites say they aren't correct. I've just got my one way ticket from auckland to manchester and it is $1450. It was much cheaper than getting a return so don't rush into buying anything yet.
Marbles, what date do you fly and who did you get tickets with?