Where do you call "Home"?

Old Jul 5th 2007, 5:46 am

gedge has disabled reputation
Unhappy Where do you call "Home"?

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I feel like that too. My husband laughs at me when we go back to the UK...because I'll talk to anyone and everyone who will listen. It's wonderful to be understood and not have to keep repeating yourself. I can understand them too...but more than that I just seem to 'click' with the people back home.
i probably should stop myself here but it's something i have to ask
when you refer to "people back home" don't you ever stop to consider that "home" is where you're at currently?
i don't mean to pick you in particular, it's something i notice regularly and seems strange to me
Old Jul 5th 2007, 5:48 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homesick in Sydney

Originally Posted by gedge
when you refer to "people back home" don't you ever stop to consider that "home" is where you're at currently?
i don't mean to pick you in particular, it's something i notice regularly and seems strange to me
I guess if you do not feel at "home" with where you are then you dont see it that way.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 5:50 am
BE Enthusiast

wombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to all

home is where the heart is.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 5:56 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I say 'home' in reference to the UK because that is the one thing most of us have in common. We are posting on here because we miss home. Personally I don't like 'UK' but it's easier to write than England or Britain...so I use 'home'. Another reason is England will always be my home...yes my home is here in the US...but deep down my heart will always belong to England.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
I guess if you do not feel at "home" with where you are then you dont see it that way.
let's suppose then that you emigrate to your chosen country but from the very beginning refer to where you came from as "home"
wouldn't this give the impression that your heart is not really in to giving it a go?
i need to understand this a bit more, please
Old Jul 5th 2007, 6:02 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

let's suppose then that you emigrate to your chosen country but from the very beginning refer to where you came from as "home"
wouldn't this give the impression that your heart is not really in to giving it a go?
In some ways yes, I spose it would.
I thought of here as home when I was settled here. UK would always be my home home as I grew up there though.
I found when I started doubting staying here, then pined for England, thats when this wasnt my home anymore, just a place I was living - it didnt have my heart anymore, England did.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 6:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

It's a bit like having a great mother in law/father in law...they may be great people and love you and you love them...but they can never replace your parents. You only have one mum and dad.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jul 5th 2007 at 6:31 am.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 6:09 am

I say 'home' in reference to the UK because that is the one thing most of us have in common. We are posting on here because we miss home. Personally I don't like 'UK' but it's easier to write than England or Britain...so I use 'home'. Another reason is England will always be my home...yes my home is here in the US...but deep down my heart will always belong to England.
i was just chatting to someone off forum about MBTTUK and saying that i don't post in here despite the fact that i'm moving back, mainly because i don't fully relate to the emotional struggles most posters in here seem to have

maybe what i'm lacking is a sense of belonging
Old Jul 5th 2007, 6:11 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

I dont know. I didnt initially leave the UK to come to Aus i just ended up here..lol
Did try to make NZ home and really put effort into it, but just didnt work out there.
I think it depends on each individual. I'm 100% certain i tired to make NZ "home" just never became so.

This "home" feeling is something i really believe should be taken more seriously by some people on the immigration forum. It worries me to read posts on there about people having second thoughts but still going. Also saying they are close to family but want to go etc.
These are the sort of people who are very likely to end up in strife, but you cant go in there and say so because you are p*ssing on their parade and risk abuse from the rose tinters. I believe those with strong family ties back in UK will ultimately suffer... i know i have!!
Old Jul 5th 2007, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by birdynumnum
In some ways yes, I spose it would.
I thought of here as home when I was settled here. UK would always be my home home as I grew up there though.
I found when I started doubting staying here, then pined for England, thats when this wasnt my home anymore, just a place I was living - it didnt have my heart anymore, England did.
so there's a place for two homes? ...where you live and where your heart is
they may or may not be one and the same
Old Jul 5th 2007, 6:15 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

i was just chatting to someone off forum about MBTTUK and saying that i don't post in here despite the fact that i'm moving back, mainly because i don't fully relate to the emotional struggles most posters in here seem to have

Do you think of UK as home?
Do you think of here as home?
Old Jul 5th 2007, 6:16 am
SUPER MODERATOR

After 11 yrs I am pretty much settled here now...but I can remember how difficult it's been and I still have bad days. Funny thing is if we moved back to the UK I would miss the US and visa versa. If I'd been living here for 50 years...I am sure I would still miss 'home'.

We are in the position of now being able to buy a place in the UK...so that I can spend more time there. We will eventually split our time between the UK, US and possibly Canada.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 6:20 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
I dont know. I didnt initially leave the UK to come to Aus i just ended up here..lol
Did try to make NZ home and really put effort into it, but just didnt work out there.
I think it depends on each individual. I'm 100% certain i tired to make NZ "home" just never became so.

This "home" feeling is something i really believe should be taken more seriously by some people on the immigration forum. It worries me to read posts on there about people having second thoughts but still going. Also saying they are close to family but want to go etc.
These are the sort of people who are very likely to end up in strife, but you cant go in there and say so because you are p*ssing on their parade and risk abuse from the rose tinters. I believe those with strong family ties back in UK will ultimately suffer... i know i have!!
While I agree with what you are saying...sometimes you have to make the mistakes. If not you are always left wondering 'what if'.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 6:23 am
I don't give a damn

While I agree with what you are saying...sometimes you have to make the mistakes. If not you are always left wondering 'what if'.
Very true, and i would never tell anyone they should not go for it if the pull is very strong. I am actually glad i did it, but my situation is quite different from most as i didnt have dependant children to consider.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by birdynumnum
Do you think of UK as home?
Do you think of here as home?
UK no not at all
here (Aus) yes it's where i live
but then when i move next year the UK will be home and Aus won't figure

apologies to the OP, didn't mean to take up so much of your thread space

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.