Where do I start

Old Apr 10th 2018, 7:41 am
Just Joined

jewls is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where do I start

Hi

I was wondering if someone can help me

I have an elderly aunt and uncle 88 and 93 who have lived in the USA for over 40 years they live in Florida, they are not coping very well and I have broached them to come back to Liverpool uk

They both hold a green card
A British passport renewed last year
They both receive a british pension

They will not be expecting any benefits

We are looking into getting them into sheltered accommodation

I basically want them to get their bags and get on a plane but basically there are things that need to be sorted but I don’t know what

Just a few suggestions with what needs to be done

Thankyou
Old Apr 10th 2018, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where do I start

Originally Posted by jewls
I have an elderly aunt and uncle 88 and 93 who have lived in the USA for over 40 years they live in Florida, they are not coping very well and I have broached them to come back to Liverpool uk
As British Citizens, it really is as simple as them packing their bags and getting on a plane. Are you asking about how to close up their affairs in Florida, eg selling a house? I'm sure someone more qualified than me will be able to comment on this. Age Concern has been mentioned on these boards as being a useful resource for relocation of elderly relatives, they may be able to suggest things to help on the UK side.

I really commend you for being so concerned about your aunty and uncle - I take it they don't have children/next-of-kin to look out for them in the USA? Having parents of a similar age I would be concerned about the culture shock of the move. My dad won't even countenance moving from their home of 50+ years to a smaller retirement flat up the road, they certainly wouldn't cope with a transatlantic move - and Liverpool of today is so different from 40 years ago.

I take it they retired to Florida - they must have considered at the time of the move what they would want to happen once they got to the point they were unable to manage on their own. Did they make plans/discuss with the family - are they open to the move or just grateful for someone taking responsibility for them?
Old Apr 10th 2018, 7:30 pm
Just Joined

jewls is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where do I start

Originally Posted by yellowroom
As British Citizens, it really is as simple as them packing their bags and getting on a plane. Are you asking about how to close up their affairs in Florida, eg selling a house? I'm sure someone more qualified than me will be able to comment on this. Age Concern has been mentioned on these boards as being a useful resource for relocation of elderly relatives, they may be able to suggest things to help on the UK side.

I really commend you for being so concerned about your aunty and uncle - I take it they don't have children/next-of-kin to look out for them in the USA? Having parents of a similar age I would be concerned about the culture shock of the move. My dad won't even countenance moving from their home of 50+ years to a smaller retirement flat up the road, they certainly wouldn't cope with a transatlantic move - and Liverpool of today is so different from 40 years ago.

I take it they retired to Florida - they must have considered at the time of the move what they would want to happen once they got to the point they were unable to manage on their own. Did they make plans/discuss with the family - are they open to the move or just grateful for someone taking responsibility for them?
Hi ,, there house ect will be put into solicitors hands, our aunt has early stage dementia and feel she would be better of here, the accommodation will be in the same building as his sister (my mother in law) they will have everything within walking distance doctors, dentist shops railway station, I not sure they considered it really( about what would happen) , but he has often said they should have come back years ago, he has also said he doesn’t like driving and you need a car there so all the negatives he is seeing now, although we never put pressure on them, we told him it’s his decision , we speak to them every other Saturday night and have been concerned about them for a while

We ideally want to get there name on the list, and as soon as a flat comes up get them here, it took my mother in law about 4 months from applying and getting one

Thankyou for the reply and I will also get in touch with age concern tomorrow

Thankyou