Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Leaving China for Portugal via the UK: issues?

Leaving China for Portugal via the UK: issues?

Old Apr 10th 2018, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

UK2PTviaNZandChina is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Leaving China for Portugal via the UK: issues?

Hi folks, my wife and I have been overseas for 17 years in New Zealand & China. We're both British citizens.

We are preparing to return to the UK in late July for just a month, before taking up a house-sitting role for friends for 6 months in Portugal. We'd be entering PT as tourists.

We'd be driving there in a UK purchased car owned for just 3 weeks maximum with 2 correctly imported, stamped, chipped and vaccinated rescue dogs from China, flown by KLM from China with us according to both EU and UK regulations.

I guess we always fall between (or right on the edge of) the bureaucratic cracks and this will be no exception.

If we like it and we can make a go of it we may just stay in PT and that will bring on any number of regulatory wrath and misgivings; especially as it will coincide with Brexit.

Can anyone foresee problems we may not yet be aware of, pertaining to NHS and health reciprocal arrangements, our UK status, the animals 'visiting' PT for 6 months (or more)...

Thanks for any wisdom.
Old Apr 10th 2018, 7:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving China for Portugal via the UK: issues?

As British citizens you just need your passports to re-enter the UK.

With vaccinated, chipped dogs you should be just able to do same with Portugal.

As visitors you'll need to get whatever form you need now to obtain temporary Health cover in Portugal.

If you decide to stay in Portugal and you are NOT of retirement age and you do not intend to work, then you will need to take out private health cover.