Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

when you just want to be home even though you know your going!

Wikiposts

when you just want to be home even though you know your going!

Old Sep 1st 2008, 12:29 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: when you just want to be home even though you know your going!

Originally Posted by USAGypsies
I sympathise with your dilemma. Waiting is not easy and trying to treat it like a holiday... well, we know it is the right thing to do because when we get home and look back, it won't seem as bad as it was at the time and we'll wish we did more things, visited more places whilst we had the chance etc... but in reality, i found it almost impossible to treat 'the wait' like a holiday. When all you want to do is to go home it's not a holiday, it's limbo.
Last December the torturous drag you describe got so itense for us that we left. We just said enough is enough and ended our lives as they were to the best of our ability and circumstances and within 2 weeks of making the decision we were back in the UK. We simply left.

... except it wasn't simple and believe me, it was a shock - a shock that none of us could have forseen. It's a long detailed story but in a nutshell, everything was up in the air from pet's in kennels to releasing ourselves from financial obligations to finding out we were expecting a baby..... It all happened too fast and as a result, we've ended up back in the USA where we are waiting out the necessary time (1 to 2 years) to get our citizenships and take some time to organize ourselves properly... and more gently! We want to make sure that if and when we do return to the UK (which we are fairly certain that we will), we will have it organized well and give our poor overworked minds and emotions a chance to adjust at a normal rate.
You will be back very soon and you sound like your move is going to be successful because you have been organized and patient... something we need to be next time. If your pet is the only thing holding you back, have you considered putting them into an experienced kennel to hold them for the remaining time and then ship them home to you once they are ready?

awwwweee goodluck to you, am a nosey bugger and would like to hear more of why it was such a shock
Old Sep 1st 2008, 12:31 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by dannismith
Hi Pearly,

I'm in somewhat of the same situation. I have been yearning to go home for sometime, however when I finally made my mind up to do so, didn't quite realise the extent we have to go to, to allow our furry friends to come with us. I started the process in June for my beloved cat (whilst moving between FL and RI). Once I had him vaccinated and had begun the 6 month waiting period I found out I am pregnant!!!!!

To cut a long story short I am travelling home to the UK next week but unfortunately my boyfriend cannot come until Xmas due to work commitments and also wanting to wait for Munchkin. Now, we have to find someone to look after him for his final three weeks as he cannot leave till Jan 8th and the baby is due the wk after that!!!!

Just wanted to offer some reassurement that your time will come and it'll be worth it in the nd, having your pup with you. I am so worried about who will look after him over Xmas and will they ensure he gets on the correct flight and have all his paperwork in check. As well, as being 6 months pregnant, trying to settle into our new house, decorating.....

I'm not complaining tho, as cannot wait to be back on Britsh soil and evenmore so when my two boys join me!!!

I even started a scrapbook before I have left to capture some our time here and occupy myself. I wish you luck and all the best with your move..

Danielle

lots of luck to you danielle, hope all goes well
Old Sep 4th 2008, 3:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret3
awwwweee goodluck to you, am a nosey bugger and would like to hear more of why it was such a shock
Hi Margaret
Mostly it was a shock because of the decision that we made to up sticks and leave so suddenly. Some of the shock was for more personal reasons such as finding my UK family hard to recognize after my sister had separated from her husband of over 30 years and dealing with the family divide caused by that plus meeting her new bloke that no-one seemed to be able to get on with etc...
Even though we've spent most of our lives in the UK, its amazing how you forget so the Florida weather in December/January vS UK weather was a real shock
Other small things... our hire car at Gatwick was one of the larger ones but felt miniature as we literally squeezed ourselves and our luggage into it in the freezing Gatwick winds. I felt so guilty looking at my little ones bright red nose, cheeks and watery eyes as I tucked in her scarf... all she knew was t-shirts and sunblock up until then. The cottage we rented was in beautiful countryside but was so cramped we couldn't appreciate the beauty as we were all too busy killing each other after being used to 3500sqft. The cost of the rental properties we looked at were relatively reasonable until you added on the council tax and then they become painfully expensive. There was a shortage of nice property too. I don't know if it was just our bad luck but we seemed to encounter a lot of moany people. Most of the complaining was about money and the rest about weather. We quickly realised that we had become Americanized when it came to service too. For example, you go to the bank and they can't do enough for you. Smiles all round and so polite. I went to the Abbey to withdraw some money and stood in a draughty doorway with the queue out the door and when i did finally get to the counter there was no eye contact and the teller spent most her time complaining about how slow the system was to her colleague. Of course this is all normal but it's just we're so out of touch. The cherry for us was when we were talking to the lasy whom we were renting the cottage from. She had a beautiful big house - a barn conversion and she had all her family over for Christmas and New Year. Absoultely loaded she was with lots of land and property - yet she complained that... I quote 'It's a hard life in the UK' and she warned us to think carefully before deciding to move back. Her brother lives out in Thailand and she was telling us how much better his life was over there etc.... the thing is, she had all her family around her, a loving family from what I could see and she had a lot of lovely property and land in a gorgeous location and yet she was still complaining about how hard life was in the UK and she had a lot more than I can imagine we will ever have.

So with all this in mind.... plus plenty more that I won't bore you with, it certainly makes the decision whether to return or not, a hard one.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 11:31 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by USAGypsies
Hi Margaret
Mostly it was a shock because of the decision that we made to up sticks and leave so suddenly. Some of the shock was for more personal reasons such as finding my UK family hard to recognize after my sister had separated from her husband of over 30 years and dealing with the family divide caused by that plus meeting her new bloke that no-one seemed to be able to get on with etc...
Even though we've spent most of our lives in the UK, its amazing how you forget so the Florida weather in December/January vS UK weather was a real shock
Other small things... our hire car at Gatwick was one of the larger ones but felt miniature as we literally squeezed ourselves and our luggage into it in the freezing Gatwick winds. I felt so guilty looking at my little ones bright red nose, cheeks and watery eyes as I tucked in her scarf... all she knew was t-shirts and sunblock up until then. The cottage we rented was in beautiful countryside but was so cramped we couldn't appreciate the beauty as we were all too busy killing each other after being used to 3500sqft. The cost of the rental properties we looked at were relatively reasonable until you added on the council tax and then they become painfully expensive. There was a shortage of nice property too. I don't know if it was just our bad luck but we seemed to encounter a lot of moany people. Most of the complaining was about money and the rest about weather. We quickly realised that we had become Americanized when it came to service too. For example, you go to the bank and they can't do enough for you. Smiles all round and so polite. I went to the Abbey to withdraw some money and stood in a draughty doorway with the queue out the door and when i did finally get to the counter there was no eye contact and the teller spent most her time complaining about how slow the system was to her colleague. Of course this is all normal but it's just we're so out of touch. The cherry for us was when we were talking to the lasy whom we were renting the cottage from. She had a beautiful big house - a barn conversion and she had all her family over for Christmas and New Year. Absoultely loaded she was with lots of land and property - yet she complained that... I quote 'It's a hard life in the UK' and she warned us to think carefully before deciding to move back. Her brother lives out in Thailand and she was telling us how much better his life was over there etc.... the thing is, she had all her family around her, a loving family from what I could see and she had a lot of lovely property and land in a gorgeous location and yet she was still complaining about how hard life was in the UK and she had a lot more than I can imagine we will ever have.

So with all this in mind.... plus plenty more that I won't bore you with, it certainly makes the decision whether to return or not, a hard one.

point taken, lol, it must've made you wanna pull your hair out, these jammy buggers have never lived outside the u.k
on the other hand, you should congratulate yourself coz you have lived outsid the u.k and therfore can appreciate its good points, i honestly think when i return the fact i have lived outside scotland will make me love and appreciate all the things i took for granted previously. (i may stand corrected though, lol). I fully understand what your saying re;service, sometimes i catch myself here saying 'well that wouldn't happened in scotland' (meaning i know they would've been alot more rude or unhelpful).

Your poor wee one and the red nose though, that choked me up

Last edited by Margaret3; Sep 4th 2008 at 11:34 pm.