Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

when you just want to be home even though you know your going!

Wikiposts

when you just want to be home even though you know your going!

Old Aug 26th 2008, 12:07 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: when you just want to be home even though you know your going!

pearl phone and email the alfred, i was working at the austin within 2 weeks of applying and i was raging, coz i had such a shite experience at the epworth i didnt want to commit to another job but am glad i did, especially for financial reasons, i only work there 20hrs per week though,

They emailed people for references so that was one of the reasons it all happened quickly.

Any way i know where your coming from, if i were you i'd be the same, ticking the days off and withdrawing from here.

Last edited by Margaret3; Aug 26th 2008 at 12:11 pm.
Old Aug 26th 2008, 12:10 pm
Account Closed

[QUOTE=Professional Princess;6718377]

I have my BE window open while I am working and strategically plan it so I can keep up with the site in between frantically shutting the window when people go by. Some habits are hard to break and this is one Ive been doing since I registered.

i do this to, which can be tricky in the operating theatre, you can bet when your frantically trying to shut it down thats when the screen freezes
Old Aug 26th 2008, 12:19 pm
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret3
pearl phone and email the alfred, i was working at the austin within 2 weeks of applying and i was raging, coz i had such a shite experience at the epworth i didnt want to commit to another job but am glad i did, especially for financial reasons, i only work there 20hrs per week though,

They emailed people for references so that was one of the reasons it all happened quickly.
M,

I am stuck for references as I'm not "really" working just now. I'd have to go back and ask my last UK employers! Also, I'm trying to get away from Recovery and into the Women's Health stuff that I've been doing. Trouble is - RWH have their own little cleek of regulars so I don't get anything from them. I'm registered with RWH casual bank and the nursing agency - you'd think I'd get more than one shift a week out of TWO employers.
Again, this is how it's been for me - not as if I'm not trying to get the work.
I'm hesitant to apply to a third employer at this stage for the reasons above as well as the fact it's a lot of initial ground work to do just for the last say 12 weeks. My choice, I know. But again I'd be doing Recovery work when that's not really what I do anymore and the whole point of studying in something new is to gain experience in the area also. Yes, it'd get me out and about and get us "some" extra money, but I just don't see it all coming together and being that fruitful financially in the time we've got left.

*me* x
Old Aug 26th 2008, 12:19 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by onepearlyb
Cheers for that

Probobly for all the same reasons as well if were both honest. I've tried a few times before and it never seems to work out so that then stops me from making any more attempts. I just feel that if something doesn't happen easily

*pearly*

Am still free next wed

Know what you mean about references, thankfully once ave been at the austin one year i can get one again!! and i think your doing the right thing about sticking to your guns to change direction career wise, it WILL benefit in the long run, i know it doesnt feel like it just now, but i bet in a years time you will have a fab job with a decent pay, and i'll still be stuck doing the same old, same old!

Last edited by Margaret3; Aug 26th 2008 at 12:22 pm.
Old Aug 26th 2008, 12:33 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Margaret3;6718388]
Originally Posted by Professional Princess

I have my BE window open while I am working and strategically plan it so I can keep up with the site in between frantically shutting the window when people go by. Some habits are hard to break and this is one Ive been doing since I registered.

i do this to, which can be tricky in the operating theatre, you can bet when your frantically trying to shut it down thats when the screen freezes
I cant help it Mags, Ive been like this for years - BE is my second home.

I sail close to the wind really.

Right, I am off to make a coffee, would you girls like one?
Old Aug 26th 2008, 12:36 pm
Account Closed

[QUOTE=Professional Princess;6718429]

I cant help it Mags, Ive been like this for years - BE is my second home.

I sail close to the wind really.

Right, I am off to make a coffee, would you girls like one?

flat white please.

i really must stop doing the be thing at work, i would die of embarassment if any of my aussie colleagues saw it, they'd think i was a tosser
Old Aug 26th 2008, 12:48 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Margaret3;6718434]

flat white please.

i really must stop doing the be thing at work, i would die of embarassment if any of my aussie colleagues saw it, they'd think i was a tosser
I cannot stop, people would get hurt, men would die

My colleague and I have just taken lots of photos with my camera phone of my birthday bear that they bought me. We have had him posing at my computer and made out he was working

Busy aren't we?
Old Aug 26th 2008, 12:59 pm
Account Closed

[QUOTE=Professional Princess;6718462]

I cannot stop, people would get hurt, men would die

My colleague and I have just taken lots of photos with my camera phone of my birthday bear that they bought me. We have had him posing at my computer and made out he was working

Busy aren't we?

better than working thats for sure, what the bear called
Old Aug 26th 2008, 1:04 pm
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute

Actually I'll have a large Chardy! Bring the bear. He's paying.

Last edited by onepearlyb; Aug 26th 2008 at 1:46 pm.
Old Aug 26th 2008, 1:15 pm

[QUOTE=Margaret3;6718480]

better than working thats for sure, what the bear called
I haven't got a name for him yet, but its bloody funny making him hold the phone, use my pc and hold documents - my work mate and I are pissing ourselves doing this.
Old Aug 26th 2008, 1:17 pm
Account Closed

[QUOTE=Professional Princess;6718506]

I haven't got a name for him yet, but its bloody funny making him hold the phone, use my pc and hold documents - my work mate and I are pissing ourselves doing this.
sometimes its the daftest, childish things that make you wet your pants.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 5:29 am
Just Joined

dannismith is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Pearly,

I'm in somewhat of the same situation. I have been yearning to go home for sometime, however when I finally made my mind up to do so, didn't quite realise the extent we have to go to, to allow our furry friends to come with us. I started the process in June for my beloved cat (whilst moving between FL and RI). Once I had him vaccinated and had begun the 6 month waiting period I found out I am pregnant!!!!!

To cut a long story short I am travelling home to the UK next week but unfortunately my boyfriend cannot come until Xmas due to work commitments and also wanting to wait for Munchkin. Now, we have to find someone to look after him for his final three weeks as he cannot leave till Jan 8th and the baby is due the wk after that!!!!

Just wanted to offer some reassurement that your time will come and it'll be worth it in the nd, having your pup with you. I am so worried about who will look after him over Xmas and will they ensure he gets on the correct flight and have all his paperwork in check. As well, as being 6 months pregnant, trying to settle into our new house, decorating.....

I'm not complaining tho, as cannot wait to be back on Britsh soil and evenmore so when my two boys join me!!!

I even started a scrapbook before I have left to capture some our time here and occupy myself. I wish you luck and all the best with your move..

Danielle
Old Aug 29th 2008, 6:51 am
BE Enthusiast

USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by onepearlyb
Why is it that even when you know you're booked to leave and go home, that the time DRAAAGGGGGGS in. It's quite torturous infact.

We leave Melbourne on Jan 16th and can't see it come quick enough.
Everything that wound us up about the place seems a 100 times worse when your just waiting to go.
I think for anyone who's seriously considering going that they should go when they've made their minds up (finances/situation permitting of course) rather than "sitting it out" for any period of time.

I'm just feeling so fed up with my life here. I've heard it so many times on here about people feeling they "exist" here rather than actually "live" and I really feel the same way right now.

If it wasn't for the fact I spend my time doing courses ( as I can't get work doing what I want to do ) and going to the gym, I'd be going out of my mind!! Nothing happens here are weekends except sport. I know that if I had my own house I'd be pottering around the garden and shopping for new things for the house, but as we rent - there's bugger all to do!
We've given up on the 2-3 hour drives just to find something different and now we're just stuck here counting down the days until we leave.( reason for being "stuck" here is coz our dog has to have 6 months here before we can leave and take him with us, without him having to do any time in quarantine )

Sad, I know - but that's just how WE feel, and it's not as though we haven't given things a go here over the last 17 months.

I'm sure it's not just me that feels this way. I just want to be HOME.

X
I sympathise with your dilemma. Waiting is not easy and trying to treat it like a holiday... well, we know it is the right thing to do because when we get home and look back, it won't seem as bad as it was at the time and we'll wish we did more things, visited more places whilst we had the chance etc... but in reality, i found it almost impossible to treat 'the wait' like a holiday. When all you want to do is to go home it's not a holiday, it's limbo.
Last December the torturous drag you describe got so itense for us that we left. We just said enough is enough and ended our lives as they were to the best of our ability and circumstances and within 2 weeks of making the decision we were back in the UK. We simply left.

... except it wasn't simple and believe me, it was a shock - a shock that none of us could have forseen. It's a long detailed story but in a nutshell, everything was up in the air from pet's in kennels to releasing ourselves from financial obligations to finding out we were expecting a baby..... It all happened too fast and as a result, we've ended up back in the USA where we are waiting out the necessary time (1 to 2 years) to get our citizenships and take some time to organize ourselves properly... and more gently! We want to make sure that if and when we do return to the UK (which we are fairly certain that we will), we will have it organized well and give our poor overworked minds and emotions a chance to adjust at a normal rate.
You will be back very soon and you sound like your move is going to be successful because you have been organized and patient... something we need to be next time. If your pet is the only thing holding you back, have you considered putting them into an experienced kennel to hold them for the remaining time and then ship them home to you once they are ready?
Old Aug 29th 2008, 3:00 pm

[QUOTE=Margaret3;6718509]

sometimes its the daftest, childish things that make you wet your pants.
Here are some fine examples of my maturity and my bear.
Attached Thumbnails when you just want to be home even though you know your going!-bear-5.jpg   when you just want to be home even though you know your going!-bear-3.jpg  
Old Sep 1st 2008, 12:28 pm
Account Closed

[QUOTE=Professional Princess;6730189]

Here are some fine examples of my maturity and my bear.
PMSL you've lost it pp

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.