when did you know?

Old Dec 30th 2007, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

jojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: when did you know?

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
Doesn't that long haul get you down? I loathe it, especially the return journey when I am an emotional wreck for the first leg, then an exhausted one for the second. It's a pity you both don't go back together as you could no doubt enjoy your time there more. I know I can when I'm with my OH and son.

By the way, the phone charges from the UK to Oz are cheaper than in reverse can you believe. I think the phone card I have here charges 2½cents a minute + the local connection call. My family pay 0.65p with the card they use back home. Cheap as chips..........no, cheaper.

PS. Where is 'home' for you Quoll?
Sorry for dipping in to this - but have you any idea what/where this card is from? My Dad reckons he cannot find anything particularly cheap, so I always phone him! Or is he just on to a winner - sneaky thing!
Old Dec 30th 2007, 9:58 pm
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojosan
Sorry for dipping in to this - but have you any idea what/where this card is from? My Dad reckons he cannot find anything particularly cheap, so I always phone him! Or is he just on to a winner - sneaky thing!
I will ask my mum when I speak to her tomorrow, although she may not know because it was my dad who always did the phoning. My mother is partially deaf so cannot hear the recorded message which says which numbers to press before dialing the number, so my father used to ring and I'd speak to him for awhile then he'd put my mum on the phone. Sadly my dear father passed away this year.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 11:52 pm
Banned

guest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really nice

Originally Posted by lorids
I have already posted on here that it was fairly immediate that I realised I wouldn't want to live here but like Jackie when you hear and see loads of people settling and loving it you think there must be something you are missing and that the UK is as awful as they portray. This then makes you rethink.

Undeterred however I decided this morning to get two quotes for removal in February. I had to laugh when both consultants (one south african and one londoner both weren't happy in Perth but the SA couldn't go back to SA and had family here and the Londoner had been here 21 years!!!) He wishes in hindsight he had been brave enough to make the move back to the UK years ago and thinks we are doing the right thing!!

I know it is only 2 peoples stories but it makes you realise it's not just you!!
Also having gone through the removal chat etc it is nowhere near as complicated or daunting moving back as it was moving here....no need to jeyes fluid the bikes and golf clubs!

Anyway Jackie, don't stop posting we all need to keep each other sane and on track!

LDS
This is because some people probably did not have such a good home or life back in the UK and Oz seems heaven, other people had a good life and home back in the UK and soon realise the grass is not always greener, I appriciate where I live now so much in the Cotswolds, I even leave the pocket radio at home when I take the dogs for a walk just to hear the birds sing and the sound of silence.....bliss. and I do not miss my 17 metre boat and micro glider one bit.

Last edited by guest5234; Dec 30th 2007 at 11:56 pm.
Old Dec 31st 2007, 1:18 am
BE Enthusiast

chance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond repute

go to the website planet talk.
theres a phone no you call. I pay £5 (automatically comes off phone bills DDebit). This £5 credit gives you a huge (cant remember) no of minutes abroad. The rate is the same as whatever rate he pays for a lcal UK to UK call. I put the £5 credit on my mobile becaus ethe allowance comes out of my phone talktime allowance, so in effect free because the minutes are free.
Old Dec 31st 2007, 1:21 am
BE Enthusiast

chance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by guest5234
This is because some people probably did not have such a good home or life back in the UK and Oz seems heaven, other people had a good life and home back in the UK and soon realise the grass is not always greener, I appriciate where I live now so much in the Cotswolds, I even leave the pocket radio at home when I take the dogs for a walk just to hear the birds sing and the sound of silence.....bliss. and I do not miss my 17 metre boat and micro glider one bit.
Thats such a good post
Old Dec 31st 2007, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

jojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by guest5234
SO agree with this - boy I wish I was back in the UK now; either with my old life or a new one. Who cares, I'd be home - where my heart is
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

ellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to all

SO agree with this - boy I wish I was back in the UK now; either with my old life or a new one. Who cares, I'd be home - where my heart is
totally agree

sometimes I close my eyes and imagine that Im back there
Old Jan 19th 2008, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

The Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by oz1967
Hiya everyone.Just wondering when did you realise that aus/nz/us wasn't the place for you?We've been here in Brissie for 7mths now,and looking at returning to uk feb 08.Although we like aus we prefer our life in uk,we had more time together as a family in uk.I'm a welder and i find most jobs seem to be long hours upto and above 60 hrs a week,cost of shopping/clothes/food etc dearer than uk.Although i love the sunshine coast and its beaches and the kiddies playgrounds(we have a 5 year old daughter),i just find the place boring.In the uk i worked in the aircraft industry only worked for 36 hours a week plenty spare time for enjoying ourselves,holidays 2or3 times a year.I find it here all work and no play and hardly any chance to enjoy the beaches/lifestyle we came out for.I can get my old job back early next-year,my daughter who misses her grandparents/cousins/friends can get to grow up around the family and my wife can get to do all the things she misses about home,simple things like going down to her moms for a cuppa or days out to london/chester etc.Don't get me wrong i don't hate aus we just feel our lifestyle and standard of living was higher in uk and there seemed alot more to see and do.Look forwrd to the replies.Cheers.
I know exactly what you mean we have been here since June 2007 and we are saving like mad to go home this September and I can't wait to get back. Miss my family and friends like mad, the kids were a lot happier at home and had a lot more friends. My husband needs to work longer hours to make decent wages and the cost of living here seems more than at home in Scotland. I have no regrets coming here and trying it but looking forward to getting back home.

Cheers
Old Jan 20th 2008, 10:33 am
Just Joined

amzng grace is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by oz1967
Hiya everyone.Just wondering when did you realise that aus/nz/us wasn't the place for you?We've been here in Brissie for 7mths now,and looking at returning to uk feb 08.Although we like aus we prefer our life in uk,we had more time together as a family in uk.I'm a welder and i find most jobs seem to be long hours upto and above 60 hrs a week,cost of shopping/clothes/food etc dearer than uk.Although i love the sunshine coast and its beaches and the kiddies playgrounds(we have a 5 year old daughter),i just find the place boring.In the uk i worked in the aircraft industry only worked for 36 hours a week plenty spare time for enjoying ourselves,holidays 2or3 times a year.I find it here all work and no play and hardly any chance to enjoy the beaches/lifestyle we came out for.I can get my old job back early next-year,my daughter who misses her grandparents/cousins/friends can get to grow up around the family and my wife can get to do all the things she misses about home,simple things like going down to her moms for a cuppa or days out to london/chester etc.Don't get me wrong i don't hate aus we just feel our lifestyle and standard of living was higher in uk and there seemed alot more to see and do.Look forwrd to the replies.Cheers.
hi i was certain i was doing the right thing last friday when i booked my fare back to the uk,i have been in oz 38 years the day i got off the boat i wanted to go back but i gave it a shot oz has been good to me but my family came over last year and i have been depressed ever since even went therapy to make sure i wasnt mad lol so i know im sane and its time to rejoin my family
Old Jan 20th 2008, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

fitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Eric Hitchmo
Not having a go Caroline, but personally I think it is. You could say "I'll give it another year", then waste another year being lonely and miserable when you could have moved back and been happier. I mean, how long do you go on for hoping it will get better? Some people might not want to spend years waiting to settle like you did, when they could move back and be settled straight away. They may see those as just wasted years. There's people posted on this board who've been in Aus for a decade or more and still aren't happy. I guess everyone's different but I'd advise people to just go with their instincts, and if you feel you aren't settled, then unless you're prepared to do something radically different to improve your situation, then I think 12 months is enough time to make a call on it.

Cheers.

totally agree,i knew after 4 months that i would never settle in perth and that after adding up the pros and cons i would be much happier in the uk,
unfortunately i gave it two years and by then was even more miserable than
i was at 4 months.
i once heard perth being described as a suburb in the desert and can't say i disagree with this,i found it extremely bland and could never see myself living the rest of my life there, my life back in the uk was more fulfilling,hence why i returned.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fitz
totally agree,i knew after 4 months that i would never settle in perth and that after adding up the pros and cons i would be much happier in the uk,
unfortunately i gave it two years and by then was even more miserable than
i was at 4 months.
i once heard perth being described as a suburb in the desert and can't say i disagree with this,i found it extremely bland and could never see myself living the rest of my life there, my life back in the uk was more fulfilling,hence why i returned.
We have been in Perth nearly 10 years and you have hit te nail right on the head.....we have stayed because we kept thinking it would get better...and family at home and some friends here kept saying we were mad.....but the friends here are not so happy....they live a life around their old lives in the U.K.....and most of them stay because they like their homes....and weather but not much else.....then our family come and stay with us but they are on holiday and if it was so great why have they not come out to live?...we went back home for our first visit in 7 years and again last year and we just loved it....it was home....and did not even think about anything back in Perth......so we are coming home......we still have some family who have never been here and say why leave paradise....but for us it's not....for some it is......we have just needed more than W.A can give us.....our family....and culture and easy travel to Europe.....
Thanks for the post as it does help when you know that somebody else has been through what we are going through.......
Jackie
Old Jan 20th 2008, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

gsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nice

Originally Posted by brits1
We have been in Perth nearly 10 years and you have hit te nail right on the head.....we have stayed because we kept thinking it would get better...and family at home and some friends here kept saying we were mad.....but the friends here are not so happy....they live a life around their old lives in the U.K.....and most of them stay because they like their homes....and weather but not much else.....then our family come and stay with us but they are on holiday and if it was so great why have they not come out to live?...we went back home for our first visit in 7 years and again last year and we just loved it....it was home....and did not even think about anything back in Perth......so we are coming home......we still have some family who have never been here and say why leave paradise....but for us it's not....for some it is......we have just needed more than W.A can give us.....our family....and culture and easy travel to Europe.....
Thanks for the post as it does help when you know that somebody else has been through what we are going through.......
Jackie
we have only been in perth since aug 07!!!! everyone in england keeps saying ' you have not given it enough time' etc....but we feel we had a much better standard of living in uk than we will ever have here!! it honestly feels like we have been here 6 years not 6 months, however if we go back now we have experienced the lifestyle without getting too attached! we have made some lovely friends and the children have experianced life with children from all over the world (hopefully will keep in touch) However we miss our family and friends and that community feel!! so fly back 31/1/08 and cant wait.
Some peolple love it here but we just like it!!!!!!!
Old Jan 20th 2008, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

mumof5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Reid Family
I know exactly what you mean we have been here since June 2007 and we are saving like mad to go home this September and I can't wait to get back. Miss my family and friends like mad, the kids were a lot happier at home and had a lot more friends. My husband needs to work longer hours to make decent wages and the cost of living here seems more than at home in Scotland. I have no regrets coming here and trying it but looking forward to getting back home.

Cheers
Hi We are also saving like mad to go back been here since June 07 and I kind of knew from the start that I had made a big mistake!! I also don't regret coming as otherwise I would always wonder what if!!!
I remember reading you post about your rubbish Xmas and thinking "me too"
I plan to go back in June 08 and I can't wait, luckily we only rented our house out so it's waiting for us. I want to scream with glee just thinking about it!!!!
Good Luck with the saving!!!
Old Jan 20th 2008, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

mumof5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gsxrmad
we have only been in perth since aug 07!!!! everyone in england keeps saying ' you have not given it enough time' etc....but we feel we had a much better standard of living in uk than we will ever have here!! it honestly feels like we have been here 6 years not 6 months, however if we go back now we have experienced the lifestyle without getting too attached! we have made some lovely friends and the children have experianced life with children from all over the world (hopefully will keep in touch) However we miss our family and friends and that community feel!! so fly back 31/1/08 and cant wait.
Some peolple love it here but we just like it!!!!!!!
Hi I also feel we had a much better standard of living and can never see us buying here thats why I think it's best to cut our ties sooner rather than later. I know what you mean about 6 months feeling like 6 years I feel like that time goes so so slowly, I feel like I have been here forever!! and I've only been here for 6 and a half months!! I can't believe it myself.
Anyway good luck going home
Old Jan 20th 2008, 7:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amzng grace
hi i was certain i was doing the right thing last friday when i booked my fare back to the uk,i have been in oz 38 years the day i got off the boat i wanted to go back but i gave it a shot oz has been good to me but my family came over last year and i have been depressed ever since even went therapy to make sure i wasnt mad lol so i know im sane and its time to rejoin my family
Oh wow! Kudos to you!!! You are indeed perfectly sane (but isnt it nice to have that confirmed and to know that you are not the only one with these feelings!) You have been here even longer than I have!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.