when did you know?

Old Nov 7th 2007, 6:01 am
UK is Home

Sunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: when did you know?

As i am too wimpy to start my own thread i hope you guy`s out there dont mind me squeezing my little 2 bob worth in

i am seriously thinking of packing up and heading back to Scotland and carry on with life as i knew it. i have had many thought of "WTF am i doing here" for a while now and when reading loads of threads about everyone who is heading back makes me think more and more about it which is driving me nuts to say the least. i have mentioned it to the missus and she reckons we should give it time and things will fall into place, i think the only thing that will fall will be me, right off the edge!!!!!!!!

Anyway, i have said what i needed to say and now feel better!!!!!!

Originally Posted by lorids
Good luck to you and well done for making the decision. Part of the trauma is actually not making the decision and then the sense of relief when you have decided is amazing. A great life experience..you will never have to say what would it have been like/what if. You also won't have the regrets of trying to stick it out for the sake of it or because other people think you should!

All the very best to you and your family on returning and I agree with the ignoring or diluting the Anti UK brigade. I often think it's the people who expect to be handed a quality life without the effort who winge about the UK. Life wherever you are is what you make it and you are right it ain't all about weather and beaches!!

Looking forward to joining you back in the UK ...hopefully a week behind you!
Old Nov 7th 2007, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

shazza1 will become famous soon enoughshazza1 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by oz1967
Thanks for the replies.Its a tough situation to be in,when your sitting on the beach thinking "I must be mad to leave this lovely weather and beaches behind" but thats all we would miss and some friends we've made.So we've gone and booked flights,spending a week with rellies in Perth then flying out on feb 6th.Going to surprise sister and her kids (its her birthday on the feb 8th) were not going to tell them were coming home so it should be a good old family reunion and piss-up of course!It feels like a weight has been lifted of our shoulders now the flights have been booked.3 months and counting yipee.We're so looking forward to getting our lives back on track instead of being in limbo-land wondering what to do for the best.All the best to others in a similar situation hopefully you'll come to the right decision which suits you and your families and try not to be influenced by the "anti-uk brigade",there does seem alot of them around.Its took this adventure to open our eyes that the UK is really quite a good place to live,it has its faults but so does other places,nowhere is perfect.Just the container people to book any recommendations?Heres to another adventure!!!Cheers.
good luck on your return,what a great surprise your sis will have.we wont be far behind only a few weeks after you.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 8:37 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Hiya everyone.Just wondering when did you realise that aus/nz/us wasn't the place for you?We've been here in Brissie for 7mths now,and looking at returning to uk feb 08.Although we like aus we prefer our life in uk,we had more time together as a family in uk.I'm a welder and i find most jobs seem to be long hours upto and above 60 hrs a week,cost of shopping/clothes/food etc dearer than uk.Although i love the sunshine coast and its beaches and the kiddies playgrounds(we have a 5 year old daughter),i just find the place boring.In the uk i worked in the aircraft industry only worked for 36 hours a week plenty spare time for enjoying ourselves,holidays 2or3 times a year.I find it here all work and no play and hardly any chance to enjoy the beaches/lifestyle we came out for.I can get my old job back early next-year,my daughter who misses her grandparents/cousins/friends can get to grow up around the family and my wife can get to do all the things she misses about home,simple things like going down to her moms for a cuppa or days out to london/chester etc.Don't get me wrong i don't hate aus we just feel our lifestyle and standard of living was higher in uk and there seemed alot more to see and do.Look forwrd to the replies.Cheers.
The day i got here i regretted it. 18 months later i am still here but making the most of it. I know it's not forever, so i can cope now. If i knew i had to stay here forever i think i would die. Going home August 08.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 8:43 am
Just Joined

Irishrebel is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, after 13 months living in Brisbane, me and my family will be heading back home,no doubts,no regrets.
It's a great place to live but it's not for us.We had a great life back in the UK and i suppose it took living here for a while to appreciate that more.
I can't wait to have a decent chinese curry,a fish supper with lots of salt and vinegar...Then going home for a few cans of Mcewans export,with the central heating on full blast!!
Glad thats of my chest.
All the best to everyone who is heading back,i think, to a better life in the UK.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 9:21 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies.Its a tough situation to be in,when your sitting on the beach thinking "I must be mad to leave this lovely weather and beaches behind" but thats all we would miss and some friends we've made.So we've gone and booked flights,spending a week with rellies in Perth then flying out on feb 6th.Going to surprise sister and her kids (its her birthday on the feb 8th) were not going to tell them were coming home so it should be a good old family reunion and piss-up of course!It feels like a weight has been lifted of our shoulders now the flights have been booked.3 months and counting yipee.We're so looking forward to getting our lives back on track instead of being in limbo-land wondering what to do for the best.All the best to others in a similar situation hopefully you'll come to the right decision which suits you and your families and try not to be influenced by the "anti-uk brigade",there does seem alot of them around.Its took this adventure to open our eyes that the UK is really quite a good place to live,it has its faults but so does other places,nowhere is perfect.Just the container people to book any recommendations?Heres to another adventure!!!Cheers.
Just read this thread and really envy you. What a wonderful birthday surprise for your sister. Just remember, you can have your fix of sun, sea and sand when you take off on your holidays. You will no doubt appreciate it all the more because it's not there all the time and you will be on holiday. We live 2 minutes from the Indian Ocean and rarely walk on the beach these days. I hope going home is all you dream it will be.

Good luck to you and well done for making the decision. Part of the trauma is actually not making the decision and then the sense of relief when you have decided is amazing. A great life experience..you will never have to say what would it have been like/what if. You also won't have the regrets of trying to stick it out for the sake of it or because other people think you should!

All the very best to you and your family on returning and I agree with the ignoring or diluting the Anti UK brigade. I often think it's the people who expect to be handed a quality life without the effort who winge about the UK. Life wherever you are is what you make it and you are right it ain't all about weather and beaches!!

Looking forward to joining you back in the UK ...hopefully a week behind you!
I think sometimes people are 'anti' UK because they are still trying to settle themselves and work out what the hell they've done. Good luck to you too.

Originally Posted by Sunny_Glesga
As i am too wimpy to start my own thread i hope you guy`s out there dont mind me squeezing my little 2 bob worth in

i am seriously thinking of packing up and heading back to Scotland and carry on with life as i knew it. i have had many thought of "WTF am i doing here" for a while now and when reading loads of threads about everyone who is heading back makes me think more and more about it which is driving me nuts to say the least. i have mentioned it to the missus and she reckons we should give it time and things will fall into place, i think the only thing that will fall will be me, right off the edge!!!!!!!!

Anyway, i have said what i needed to say and now feel better!!!!!!
How long have you been in Oz? What's with the avatar btw.......I like it.

I envy all of you who have made the decision to go home. I just wish we could go. After over a decade here I have really had enough.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya everyone.Just wondering when did you realise that aus/nz/us wasn't the place for you?We've been here in Brissie for 7mths now,and looking at returning to uk feb 08.Although we like aus we prefer our life in uk,we had more time together as a family in uk.I'm a welder and i find most jobs seem to be long hours upto and above 60 hrs a week,cost of shopping/clothes/food etc dearer than uk.Although i love the sunshine coast and its beaches and the kiddies playgrounds(we have a 5 year old daughter),i just find the place boring.In the uk i worked in the aircraft industry only worked for 36 hours a week plenty spare time for enjoying ourselves,holidays 2or3 times a year.I find it here all work and no play and hardly any chance to enjoy the beaches/lifestyle we came out for.I can get my old job back early next-year,my daughter who misses her grandparents/cousins/friends can get to grow up around the family and my wife can get to do all the things she misses about home,simple things like going down to her moms for a cuppa or days out to london/chester etc.Don't get me wrong i don't hate aus we just feel our lifestyle and standard of living was higher in uk and there seemed alot more to see and do.Look forwrd to the replies.Cheers.
That is just how I feel, we are planning on Marc 08 for our return home...we have been through so much these last 2.5 years and in the end I think that made us realise the importance of being home with your friends and family and being in a place you feel home. We have had some great times here we really have but all along it felt like we are "visiting" rather than living here (crazy I know) I was not going to cme on to this site anymore as I was getting more and more confused about going home...we went home for 9 weeks this April/May and we just loved it and never once thought of Aus..that's a fib..we had our dog here in kennels....but we just hd a really good look around...did a few touristy things (even went to Cyprus it was that cheap..all inclusive as well) but we mainly used public transport,went into the Cities, walked out at night and it was great we did feel safe in a way safer than I do here....anyway sometimes reading some of the threads and people keep "slagging" the U.K off it does start you thinking...even though I know deep down we found it a lovely place to live (U.K) and that's the confusing thing...but I just popped on today (cannot keep away) and your thread said it all...so thank you for that.....
Our decision has been made for March 08, we just have to put the home on the market and hear back from a college my son want to attend.

I will miss the beech (I live a 25 min drive away but still try get there a few times a week) the blue skies but truth be told I miss things in the U.K much,much more.....Castle's, York, Chester, London even Liverpool (and that from a Mancunian is sacraliage!!) Scotland, Wales the countryside (and there is still loads of it, you would not think so the way some people on this site go on) and the cheap flights over to Europe...it's a shame we cannot pull Aus somewhere near the Med...but alas that's not going to happen and I would still miss things anyway.

Kath who has just returned home to the U.K used Chess removals, she said she haggled with the price and got a 40ft container for $13,000 but they had plenty of room left (they took a spa with them) and that their packing guys were exceptional....my best friend in the U.K said if it so expensive sell everything you can, she sent me pictures of her new leather lounge suite and dinning table with leather chairs and it came to $900 yes $900 and they are lovely quality...so I am now thinking of seeing how much I would make on items here and seeing it would be cheaper than sending it all home....I would not be sure most of it would fit into a house we buy overthere anyway....but we will see....have to get the pencil out now and work it all out...gulp...keep my mind off things.....
Good luck to everyone and I am sticking to what I feel inside now....just maybe read the positive threads...and you do feel better once that choice has been made......can I ask who you booked your flights with? Kath went with flight centre and got a great deal with a five night stay in Hong Kong.

Jackie
Old Nov 8th 2007, 1:21 am
Forum Regular

lorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of light

I have already posted on here that it was fairly immediate that I realised I wouldn't want to live here but like Jackie when you hear and see loads of people settling and loving it you think there must be something you are missing and that the UK is as awful as they portray. This then makes you rethink.

Undeterred however I decided this morning to get two quotes for removal in February. I had to laugh when both consultants (one south african and one londoner both weren't happy in Perth but the SA couldn't go back to SA and had family here and the Londoner had been here 21 years!!!) He wishes in hindsight he had been brave enough to make the move back to the UK years ago and thinks we are doing the right thing!!

I know it is only 2 peoples stories but it makes you realise it's not just you!!
Also having gone through the removal chat etc it is nowhere near as complicated or daunting moving back as it was moving here....no need to jeyes fluid the bikes and golf clubs!

Anyway Jackie, don't stop posting we all need to keep each other sane and on track!

LDS
Old Nov 8th 2007, 2:02 am
Just Joined

oz1967 has a brilliant futureoz1967 has a brilliant futureoz1967 has a brilliant futureoz1967 has a brilliant futureoz1967 has a brilliant futureoz1967 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by brits1
That is just how I feel, we are planning on Marc 08 for our return home...we have been through so much these last 2.5 years and in the end I think that made us realise the importance of being home with your friends and family and being in a place you feel home. We have had some great times here we really have but all along it felt like we are "visiting" rather than living here (crazy I know) I was not going to cme on to this site anymore as I was getting more and more confused about going home...we went home for 9 weeks this April/May and we just loved it and never once thought of Aus..that's a fib..we had our dog here in kennels....but we just hd a really good look around...did a few touristy things (even went to Cyprus it was that cheap..all inclusive as well) but we mainly used public transport,went into the Cities, walked out at night and it was great we did feel safe in a way safer than I do here....anyway sometimes reading some of the threads and people keep "slagging" the U.K off it does start you thinking...even though I know deep down we found it a lovely place to live (U.K) and that's the confusing thing...but I just popped on today (cannot keep away) and your thread said it all...so thank you for that.....
Our decision has been made for March 08, we just have to put the home on the market and hear back from a college my son want to attend.

I will miss the beech (I live a 25 min drive away but still try get there a few times a week) the blue skies but truth be told I miss things in the U.K much,much more.....Castle's, York, Chester, London even Liverpool (and that from a Mancunian is sacraliage!!) Scotland, Wales the countryside (and there is still loads of it, you would not think so the way some people on this site go on) and the cheap flights over to Europe...it's a shame we cannot pull Aus somewhere near the Med...but alas that's not going to happen and I would still miss things anyway.

Kath who has just returned home to the U.K used Chess removals, she said she haggled with the price and got a 40ft container for $13,000 but they had plenty of room left (they took a spa with them) and that their packing guys were exceptional....my best friend in the U.K said if it so expensive sell everything you can, she sent me pictures of her new leather lounge suite and dinning table with leather chairs and it came to $900 yes $900 and they are lovely quality...so I am now thinking of seeing how much I would make on items here and seeing it would be cheaper than sending it all home....I would not be sure most of it would fit into a house we buy overthere anyway....but we will see....have to get the pencil out now and work it all out...gulp...keep my mind off things.....
Good luck to everyone and I am sticking to what I feel inside now....just maybe read the positive threads...and you do feel better once that choice has been made......can I ask who you booked your flights with? Kath went with flight centre and got a great deal with a five night stay in Hong Kong.

Jackie
Hiya jackie,got some removal firms coming next week for some quotes,gotta get my haggling hat on to see what deals they can do for half a 20footer.Flights out of Perth (no stop-overs) just a plane swop at KL cost me for 2 adults 1 child $2623(adult$942 and child$739).Got a quote direct of malaysian first then went to flight centre they then beat it by $20.Flight centre will match anything off the internet,this saved me about $160 on their exact same flight my wife got quoted for 1wk earlier,happydaysHope this helps you out.By the way a manc liking liverpool i think you've been here to long
Old Nov 8th 2007, 2:15 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

I have already posted on here that it was fairly immediate that I realised I wouldn't want to live here but like Jackie when you hear and see loads of people settling and loving it you think there must be something you are missing and that the UK is as awful as they portray. This then makes you rethink.

Undeterred however I decided this morning to get two quotes for removal in February. I had to laugh when both consultants (one south african and one londoner both weren't happy in Perth but the SA couldn't go back to SA and had family here and the Londoner had been here 21 years!!!) He wishes in hindsight he had been brave enough to make the move back to the UK years ago and thinks we are doing the right thing!!

I know it is only 2 peoples stories but it makes you realise it's not just you!!
Also having gone through the removal chat etc it is nowhere near as complicated or daunting moving back as it was moving here....no need to jeyes fluid the bikes and golf clubs!

Anyway Jackie, don't stop posting we all need to keep each other sane and on track!

LDS
No I cannot seem to not have my "daily fix" of "normal chat"!!! what nearly everyone says on this thread is just how we feel and it is soooooo good to know you are not "losing it"....been here 9 years now and I do wish we had gone home a few years ago...we have tried to have a good time and get on with it but alas not for us.....I think if you have felt like that since you arrived that feeling never really goes away...other things stop you from going then after a time..children...work....etc...so that is why we are going now....we are lucky our 16 and nearly 14 year old cannot wait to go back home...they have always missed their cousins, aunties and their friends they still have over in the U.K they will tell you though they have had a great time but they just want to go home now....but for some people it is not such a happy ending....
Never mind the Chinese food (our local Chinese takeaway...just around the corner from our local which as the biggest beer garden.....had over 130 dishes...yes 130 dishes and that was just the Chinese section) what about a decent Indian Curry...although I must admit the Cinnamon on the Terrace in Vic Park is brill....has a chef from Birmingham...still does not do great naan bread though!!!....we have the curry mile (which must now be about 2 miles) in Rusholme...we spent new year there on our first visit home and it was fantastic...full of people all ages.....our boys thought it was a brill. atmosphere....little things like that we miss.....we have on 4 nights out this year (proper nights out) not including bbq or round at friends...4 nights...that's not living...my dad who is 79 is out more than we are!!!!!these are the little things that begin to add up over the years....but I cannot explain that to "friends" that live here and think I am mad to go home....they just say look at the weather, our homes...etc...but there has to be more than that for us.....so that is why I come on this site.....I enjoy lots of things about Aus....but enjoy lots more back home....if I say that I usually get my head bitten off....I don't do that to other people who enjoy it here...sometimes I wish that was us...it would make life easy...no 9 years is enough...too long really but the choice is made now, we are happy.....
Please let us know about your prices etc..is it going to be cheaper to sell things here or ship them home. I suppose that is another reason we have just built our new home, not been in it long....it has cost a lot more to finish off than our last home 2.5 years ago so we will not be taking home loads of money but we now know it is where you will be happy that counts....
All the best
Jackie.....homeward bound at long last.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 2:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Hiya jackie,got some removal firms coming next week for some quotes,gotta get my haggling hat on to see what deals they can do for half a 20footer.Flights out of Perth (no stop-overs) just a plane swop at KL cost me for 2 adults 1 child $2623(adult$942 and child$739).Got a quote direct of malaysian first then went to flight centre they then beat it by $20.Flight centre will match anything off the internet,this saved me about $160 on their exact same flight my wife got quoted for 1wk earlier,happydaysHope this helps you out.By the way a manc liking liverpool i think you've been here to long
Did I say like....just put that straight jacket on right now...I suppose I can admit to that whilst still here......although I must admit it was a few years ago...we use to go "clubbing" in the City.....good laugh.....Manchester is my pride and joy though...especially these last few years when I see what they have done to the centre and surroundings...now don't get me started on that subject!!!
We have always used a guy in the City for our flights home and he has always been the cheapest...his name is...forgot it.....we only used him this year but watch out for Emirates online....they have brill specials and we went though them this year to the U.K, they had a special on and the were the cheapest by far..plus the flight is brilliant...11 hours then 7 to manchester...with the best inflight entertainment....especially for the kids...yes my hubbie loved it...ha ha....
Take Care and thanks to everyone...it does keep you going.
Jackie in Perth....slowly cooking......
Old Nov 8th 2007, 2:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Irishrebel
Well, after 13 months living in Brisbane, me and my family will be heading back home,no doubts,no regrets.
It's a great place to live but it's not for us.We had a great life back in the UK and i suppose it took living here for a while to appreciate that more.
I can't wait to have a decent chinese curry,a fish supper with lots of salt and vinegar...Then going home for a few cans of Mcewans export,with the central heating on full blast!!
Glad thats of my chest.
All the best to everyone who is heading back,i think, to a better life in the UK.
I thought yours would be a Guininess? (did I spell that correctly?) what and a Irish person not mentioning an Indian Curry?.....had to much sun in Brisbane!!! I know a couple from Northern Ireland they have been here for 3 years and they are very homesick, they keep saying they will try a bit longer...they miss the countryside....family etc and Indian food...it is hard no matter where you are from, anyway they say they will see how they feel next year..I said becareful you could be like me and still be here in 9 years....
Good luck and hope the McKewans goes down smoothly....
Jackie
Old Nov 8th 2007, 2:30 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by brits1
Did I say like....just put that straight jacket on right now...I suppose I can admit to that whilst still here......although I must admit it was a few years ago...we use to go "clubbing" in the City.....good laugh.....Manchester is my pride and joy though...especially these last few years when I see what they have done to the centre and surroundings...now don't get me started on that subject!!!
We have always used a guy in the City for our flights home and he has always been the cheapest...his name is...forgot it.....we only used him this year but watch out for Emirates online....they have brill specials and we went though them this year to the U.K, they had a special on and the were the cheapest by far..plus the flight is brilliant...11 hours then 7 to manchester...with the best inflight entertainment....especially for the kids...yes my hubbie loved it...ha ha....
Take Care and thanks to everyone...it does keep you going.
Jackie in Perth....slowly cooking......
Hey Jackie, i'm not cooking anymore. I think today is cold

But BEWARE: weekend weather hot hot hot.
Old Nov 30th 2007, 1:55 pm
Just Joined

crinaldi is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Everyone

I've been reading your comments and just wanted to respond.

My family moved from the UK to Australia when I was only 10 years old. I absolutely hated Australia and it took many years for me to finally settle.

What worries me a little from what I have read below, is that many people only give a new country 6 or 9 months chance, before making a decision about whether or not they want to live there. Honestly guys, its just not long enough.

My husband and I moved from Australia to London 5 years ago (25 years after my family emigrated from the UK). If I'm being really honest, the first year was so hard! We were so lonley, London is a tough place to make friends, and we really really struggled - even though we speak the same language the culture is so different!).

However we knew that 12 months was not long enough for us to make an education decision. We've not been here 5 years and are loving it!

I'm not saying you have to love Australia, but guys, give it some time. I dont believe 12 months is long enough. You enough hassle just setting up every day things like bank accounts, electricity, gas, getting kids into school etc.

Give it a real chance and if you're not happy go home.

I wish you guys all the best for your future!

Caroline, London
Old Nov 30th 2007, 4:03 pm
Bendy Bully

Eric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: when did you know?

Originally Posted by crinaldi
I'm not saying you have to love Australia, but guys, give it some time. I dont believe 12 months is long enough.
Not having a go Caroline, but personally I think it is. You could say "I'll give it another year", then waste another year being lonely and miserable when you could have moved back and been happier. I mean, how long do you go on for hoping it will get better? Some people might not want to spend years waiting to settle like you did, when they could move back and be settled straight away. They may see those as just wasted years. There's people posted on this board who've been in Aus for a decade or more and still aren't happy. I guess everyone's different but I'd advise people to just go with their instincts, and if you feel you aren't settled, then unless you're prepared to do something radically different to improve your situation, then I think 12 months is enough time to make a call on it.

Cheers.
Old Nov 30th 2007, 11:48 pm
Forum Regular

lorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by crinaldi
Hi Everyone

I've been reading your comments and just wanted to respond.

My family moved from the UK to Australia when I was only 10 years old. I absolutely hated Australia and it took many years for me to finally settle.

What worries me a little from what I have read below, is that many people only give a new country 6 or 9 months chance, before making a decision about whether or not they want to live there. Honestly guys, its just not long enough.

My husband and I moved from Australia to London 5 years ago (25 years after my family emigrated from the UK). If I'm being really honest, the first year was so hard! We were so lonley, London is a tough place to make friends, and we really really struggled - even though we speak the same language the culture is so different!).

However we knew that 12 months was not long enough for us to make an education decision. We've not been here 5 years and are loving it!

I'm not saying you have to love Australia, but guys, give it some time. I dont believe 12 months is long enough. You enough hassle just setting up every day things like bank accounts, electricity, gas, getting kids into school etc.

Give it a real chance and if you're not happy go home.

I wish you guys all the best for your future!

Caroline, London
IMHO and in my experience a lot depends on the reasons for you wanting to go back. If it is a general unsettled feeling and things not quite right then yes time may make a difference. However in our case the fundamental reasons for wanting to go home are not going to change. It is not an emotional decision but a pragmatic one. Basically we had it much better back in UK. Main issues (which are not apparent until you are actually living here) are poor education, career opportunities (for me), amount of time spent in a car and cost of living. That isn't going to change much with time and it was so obvious from the start. Only been here 5 months and returning February

I understand the advice to stick it out if it is an emotional feeling and perhaps a reaction to the move but many do work it out logically and realise how green the grass was back home. As someone else has posted my advice would be don't waste time!!

All very difficult and sadly each story so different. Lovely to have this site as a support...becoming a bit addicted!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.