When did u know?

Old Dec 30th 2004, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice
Default When did u know?

When did you know that Australia wasn't for you?
Old Jan 1st 2005, 1:51 am
scoobydoo

Default Re: When did u know?

Originally Posted by scrawni

Week 2!!! I'm still hanging on in there, 10 months later!!
Dilemma - Husband wants me to be happy and is prepared to go back to UK, but I want him to be happy and he wants to stay. We don't know what to do.
Still at major discussion stage!

How is things with you?

Old Jan 1st 2005, 2:32 am
looking for the corkscrew

bored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond repute

I think there was a thread exactly the same as this not long ago which had some good advice - maybe do a seach for it?
Hope you work it out soon.
Old Jan 1st 2005, 8:12 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bored-silly
I think there was a thread exactly the same as this not long ago which had some good advice - maybe do a seach for it?
Hope you work it out soon.
You're right, there was ....

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=256158
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 10:53 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by scrawni
When I was about to board the plane to Singapore!! :scared:

No really, I think I felt that Perth wasn't for us after about a month but I kept pushing the feelings away. I can remember when we were signing the papers for our mortgage thinking - 'well, when we go back we can sell it' !!!! I knew when we were buying the house that there was no way I was going to stay.

We went for a day trip with some friends to Gingin (about 1 hour north of Perth) and I looked out over the hills and fields and I felt terrified at the thought of staying in Australia. So far from everything I knew.

Even after 6 months and then a year, I felt exactly the same as did our daughter.
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 12:56 pm
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

So why go through with all the moving? god some people dont know when they got it good.
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 1:35 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jockstar
So why go through with all the moving? god some people dont know when they got it good.
I think your question answers itself. Some times we have to move in order to realize the place we want to be is the place we left. Also, of course some people didn't have much choice. A lot of people on this board move because of a spouse from the other country.
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 3:59 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

Some times we have to move in order to realize the place we want to be is the place we left.[/QUOTE]

Brilliant quote!!
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 9:31 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by dunroving
I think your question answers itself. Some times we have to move in order to realize the place we want to be is the place we left. Also, of course some people didn't have much choice. A lot of people on this board move because of a spouse from the other country.
Agreed!!

Merlot

Old Jan 14th 2005, 3:09 pm
Just Joined

JoolsG will become famous soon enoughJoolsG will become famous soon enough

Hi there! I started the thread which the link relates to above in PollyAnna's post.

Well, we have been here, in Canada, now for just over 7 months and I still feel the same way. Things ARE more settled and life is "normal" now but I still miss England. We have friends, a pretty good social life, our eldest 2 are at school but ... it's not my home.

I'm not naive enought to think that I will always feel this way, I'm sure over time (a good few years!) I would come to think of Canada as home. The point is, I don't want to wait a few years for that feeling to come. I miss England, the Britishness of it, the history, the decent food, the proximity to Europe. I could go on, and not including family and friends.

I have come to the conclusion that whilst emigrating is right for some people it is not right for others. The problem is you don't which category you fit in to until you do it! I don't regret coming here, it has been an experience. If someone told me I could never return to the UK, I could fairly happily live here the rest of my life. The thing is I don't have to and so we have decided to return to the UK, hopefully sometime this year but if not then by next year.

The experiences are different for everyone. I think most people will go through a eurphoric period in the early stages, followed by a period of "oh, my goodness, what have we done?" and then will almost definitely feel homesick. The thing is for some people this passes and they move on, for others this feeling never goes away.

Try not to listen to what others tell you and just go on your own instincts. Give it some time and see if your feelings change. But nothing in life is written in stone, you can change your mind, you can make further changes.

Last edited by JoolsG; Jan 14th 2005 at 3:12 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2005, 4:40 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=JoolsG]

The point is, I don't want to wait a few years for that feeling to come.

QUOTE]

I made this point as well.

Others can go on about 'life is short and you only live once' so go try and live somewhere different.

My point is 'life is short and you only live once' so follow your heart and don't stay somewhere if it doesn't feel right.

After all you never know whats around the corner.
Old Jan 17th 2005, 12:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

pockygoes will become famous soon enough

I have been here in Perth for only 2 weeks & am feeling exactly the same - we felt "OMG what have we done" as soon as we left the UK. Lots of people have been trying to tell us to give at least 6 mths but I am not sure that I want to feel this way for that amount of time & then still come to the same conclusion. I know that if we return now we can slot back into life in the UK -hubbie has been offered his job back & we would make enough to cover shipping the stuff back (due to drop in exchange rate) - container still at freemantle (not gone through customs yet) and is on hold while we comtemplate what we are doing!! I miss home & although I love the climate/lifestyle/big houses & relaxed atmosphere - I don't think it is for us now we have arrived.

It is comforting to see that some of the people I recognise on here are feeling the same & we are not from another planet!!

Thought I was the exception!

pockygoes
Old Jan 17th 2005, 1:08 pm
Account Closed

yonk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pockygoes
I have been here in Perth for only 2 weeks & am feeling exactly the same - we felt "OMG what have we done" as soon as we left the UK. Lots of people have been trying to tell us to give at least 6 mths but I am not sure that I want to feel this way for that amount of time & then still come to the same conclusion. I know that if we return now we can slot back into life in the UK -hubbie has been offered his job back & we would make enough to cover shipping the stuff back (due to drop in exchange rate) - container still at freemantle (not gone through customs yet) and is on hold while we comtemplate what we are doing!! I miss home & although I love the climate/lifestyle/big houses & relaxed atmosphere - I don't think it is for us now we have arrived.

It is comforting to see that some of the people I recognise on here are feeling the same & we are not from another planet!!

Thought I was the exception!

pockygoes
I read all the advice on the Oz forum you've got since posting about hanging in there and it up to you which bits of the advice you take on.

But if you want to go home, go home!

Just see it as a learning experience...and try not to beat yourself up too much. Otherwise, you will go home and spend your time thinking "I wish I'd stuck it out!"

You will see from here that lots of people go home and see it as a positive experience enabling them to get more out of living in the UK. Others just want to go back.....

It doesn't matter what others think, it's how you want your life to be. Imagine your perfect day in your head....if it involves sun, BBQs and beaches (or whatever made you emigrate in the 1st place), hang in there, if it is friends, family, UK job etc, go home.
Old Jan 17th 2005, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

pockygoes will become famous soon enough

Thanks for that - I think that hubbie & I are feeling stronger each day in our conviction & it will be such a weight off our shoulders when we book those tickets home - at least we are fortunate - I have noticed that so many on here - go back with nothing & have to struggle. We were worried when we thought about peoples reaction when we go back (after leaving parties etc) - but we will just say - we did it - it wasn't for us!!! we came back while we could afford to - sometimes it is not for all and you need to follow your gut feelings! I will still be able to visit for a holiday & that will be enough for me - at least I will be able to do that - travel some more & then go home!

pockygoes
Old Jan 17th 2005, 1:45 pm
Came Back 2003

heading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really nice

Originally Posted by pockygoes
Thanks for that - I think that hubbie & I are feeling stronger each day in our conviction & it will be such a weight off our shoulders when we book those tickets home - at least we are fortunate - I have noticed that so many on here - go back with nothing & have to struggle. We were worried when we thought about peoples reaction when we go back (after leaving parties etc) - but we will just say - we did it - it wasn't for us!!! we came back while we could afford to - sometimes it is not for all and you need to follow your gut feelings! I will still be able to visit for a holiday & that will be enough for me - at least I will be able to do that - travel some more & then go home!

pockygoes
Hi Pockygoes,

I also knew in a very short time that Oz wasn't for me, we stayed 6 months for various reasons and all I can say is I counted every single day, I still have the calendar with the days marked of just as a reminder. We also decided to come back sooner rather than later and really have slotted back into life as if we have never been away. People were so glad to see us back, and when I offered our going away present back to my sister (it was an expensive gift) she said oh no I want you to think of it as a welcome home present. Just go with your gut instincts thats what i did and we have never looked back.

Susan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.