Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What are you looking forward to?

What are you looking forward to?

Old Mar 15th 2013, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are you looking forward to?

Originally Posted by ElizabethK
Just thought of some more

Picking wild blackberries in September and making a delicious apple & blackberry pie with real baking apples

A bath that's long enough to lie down in without having to slide my feet half way up the wall in front of me!

Horses clip-clopping along country lanes
Cooking apples! Nice big green bramleys that you can stuff and bake. Just can't get them here, bland sweet eating apples only. Ugh.

to the bath.

And horses. Though we do get the occasional mountie here, which is very cool.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 12:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute

Just thought of some more
Hearing in the distance children playing in the local school playground at playtime. (Do they even have playtime in USA schools ? I only remember my kids having recess during their school years and I'm not sure they were even allowed outside for it!)
I beg to differ on this one. Was walking past the local school here and thinking how nice it was to hear a random cacophony of happy kid sounds, not "Bozzer, kick his f***in head in!" and obscene sexual comments screamed at the absolute top of their powerful little lungs by little kids.

(Yes this was my previous UK experience, and in "nice" areas too!)
Old Mar 15th 2013, 3:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

ElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really nice

Originally Posted by happyglow
I beg to differ on this one. Was walking past the local school here and thinking how nice it was to hear a random cacophony of happy kid sounds, not "Bozzer, kick his f***in head in!" and obscene sexual comments screamed at the absolute top of their powerful little lungs by little kids.

(Yes this was my previous UK experience, and in "nice" areas too!)
Ugh, okay well scratch that from my list then, maybe I prefer the whole "children should be seen and not heard" ideal
Old Mar 15th 2013, 3:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ugh, okay well scratch that from my list then, maybe I prefer the whole "children should be seen and not heard" ideal
definitely! Let's just say I wouldn't move too near a school until you've checked it out.....
Old Mar 15th 2013, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

ElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really nice

definitely! Let's just say I wouldn't move too near a school until you've checked it out.....
Notice in the original statement I mentioned "distant" sounds of children playing. I recall one day when we were on holiday a few years back I was just sitting in the bedroom with the window open and I could hear delightful squeals of kids at playtime. It sounded quite pleasant and at the time I realised I hadn't heard it while living in USA.

But, I would never buy a house that was close to a school nor one that had any type of open playing field nearby. I've lived opposite a park in the past in UK and during the summer it's a nightmare especially in the evenings when the dreaded teens arrive in droves drinking their cheap booze
Old Mar 15th 2013, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

kampaicharger will become famous soon enough

Sitting down in the spreadeagle inn (thats the name, i kid you not) and taking my first drink of "real" ale
Old Mar 15th 2013, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Cooking apples! Nice big green bramleys that you can stuff and bake. Just can't get them here, bland sweet eating apples only. Ugh.
Ohh yes!!! How could I have forgotten about baked apples, apple dumplings and spotted dick!
Old Mar 15th 2013, 6:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kampaicharger
Sitting down in the spreadeagle inn (thats the name, i kid you not) and taking my first drink of "real" ale
Oh yes.... I have a vision.... a lunchtime, an old stone pub, walking up to the bar and buying a pint of rich dark ale at the proper temperature, carrying it to a bench outside..... oh, the things we don't appreciate when we have them.....
Old Mar 16th 2013, 12:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.JsOH
Good list, it is all here and waiting for you to indulge. All the others lists people have posted too.
Thanks cos these help me remember why I am here and to see past the drudge of life.
Today there were sheep in fields beside bus route, snowdrops in the hedgerows. Once back it can be too easy to take for granted but must remember to look and the enjoy the feast.
Wonderful, John! I was going to post how everyone's list has made me teary eyed. With sheep in the field and snowdrops you may have beaten them all
Old Mar 16th 2013, 4:15 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kampaicharger
That wouldn't be anywhere near Penkridge, Staffs per chance would it?
Old Mar 16th 2013, 4:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

BBC radio is good although I am not sure I like Radio 2. It is now accessible everywhere through the internet. For my last spell in Saudi I listened regularly to BBC Radio Scotland so that I could get used to Caledonia again. With no adverts !
Old Mar 16th 2013, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
Attached Thumbnails What are you looking forward to?-lamb.jpg  
Old Mar 16th 2013, 7:35 am
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
Old Mar 18th 2013, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

kampaicharger will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by curleytops
That wouldn't be anywhere near Penkridge, Staffs per chance would it?
No, this one is in Sawley near Clitheroe, it's at the end of a country lane across the road from a cisterian abbey and overlooking a river.

The only things missing will be a cloth cap, walking stick and faithfull collie at my feet. At least thats the vision in my head.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

monkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud of

family
friends
fresh air in the summer, not air con air
being in the sun without turning into cancer
appreciating hot weather , not dreading it.
less "she'll be right" (lazy and laid back are 2 different things)
flies that don't want to investigate every orifice in my head
a proper christmas
long summer days
short winter days
cosiness
4 seasons
soft grass
various shades of green
less brown
not being either bored stiff or terrified while driving
it not being seen as OK to drive home after a "few" beers
roadkill being smaller than me
less time staring at the speedo incase i go 2kph too fast and face prison
hendersons relish
coarse meat sausages
decent TV
not being yelled at by adverts
no informercials
product choice
not having to drive 40 minutes to get everywhere
insulation
cats in the street (not literally , you know what i mean)
that burning feeling on your face after a winter walk
buying a nice heavy walking jacket
not being so cautious while out in nature
The Pennines in 1 hour
Europe in 2 hours
The Med in 3 hours
North Africa in 5 hours
The Middle East in 7 hours
cheaper flights

and last but not least and mentioned by others above

being "got" by people....... Oh mild jovial sarcasm how i miss you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.