Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What are you looking forward to?

Wikiposts

What are you looking forward to?

Old Mar 14th 2013, 1:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

ElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really nice
Default What are you looking forward to?

For those of us who will return soon, or those who will return in many years - what are you most looking forward to with the move back to UK?

A few of mine are:-

Going into a real butcher's shop complete with fake, plastic leaves at the front of the display cabinet and a butcher wearing a striped pinny & white hat knowing that the meat I'm buying isn't pumped full of water nor shrink wrapped in plastic. Also a bonus (especially lately) will be knowing that I'm not buying horsemeat which has been labelled as beef.

Going to the beach on a sunny day (hopefully there'll be some) and buying a Mr Whippy 99 with loads of the raspberry syrup trickling down the sides.

Having the long days in the summer when the sun sets after 10pm and rises by 4 the next morning.

Listening to Radio 2 en-route to work without having an endless stream of commercials every few records.

Being able to walk the dog off her lead either in the park or on a beach

Getting excited for Christmas knowing that there'll be loads of Christmas Specials on telly. Also being able to buy real fresh double cream to go on my xmas pud instead of the imported double devon cream we get here in small glass jars sold at an extortionate price.

Having more than one day off for Christmas

Being content with having a small garden that is manageable and not need a whole day just to cut the grass on a tractor mower.

Being able to by a loaf of bread for less than the equiv. $3 and having said bread not taste somewhat sweetened.

Golden shred marmalade

Having a window cleaner (why can I not find them for love nor money here in PA?)

A brick house and not one built of wood that could so easily be burnt to the ground in seconds or eaten by some big mother effing ants!

Being able to buy Ribena for £1 and not have to order online a case of 12 for over $100

Not having people talk so much of religion or god. It could be that here in PA religion is more popular than in other states, but it's far too religious for my liking here being the confirmed atheist that I am.

There's probably loads more I've missed but that's just a few I can think of off the top of my head here
Old Mar 14th 2013, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are you looking forward to?

Great post! Let's see....

The challenge of being a stranger in my native land

Seeing everything with fresh eyes

Unpacking, when my boxes arrive!

Having my little pooch welcomed in lots of places and not treated like the spawn of satan

Twisty roads!

Birds, bunnies, foxes, horses and sheep in the fields, cows!

Marmite XO whenever I want it <drool>

English ales, french wine, at reasonable prices

The Sunday Times, especially the crossword

CHEEEEEESE Gromit!

Cheeky english sense of humour

Not having to watch what I say all the time for fear of causing offence where none meant (huge one this)

Antiques

Finding broken bits of old china when gardening

Holidays in scotland and france

SO MUCH! Too much to list
Old Mar 14th 2013, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

ElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really nice

Originally Posted by happyglow

Not having to watch what I say all the time for fear of causing offence where none meant (huge one this)
Oh yes! Sometimes my sarcasm is completely misunderstood here
Old Mar 14th 2013, 8:58 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

The humour is one of the best things about being back. I love being able to banter back and forth with people I barely know. I am still a bit hesitant at times to let my real self show through as I had to suppress my humorous side for such a long time in Canada.

There is a couple in the village and we have been having a great laugh together almost since day one. I feel as though I have known them for years. The Liverpool and Glasgow jokes are flying constantly.

I also love the stone, cobbles and all the beautiful architecture. It is like a warm cosy blanket to me.

An added, minor bonus, is that tins and packets are written entirely in English, so I don't have to wade through the French part of the labeling to get to the English translation.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
The humour is one of the best things about being back. I love being able to banter back and forth with people I barely know. I am still a bit hesitant at times to let my real self show through as I had to suppress my humorous side for such a long time in Canada.

There is a couple in the village and we have been having a great laugh together almost since day one. I feel as though I have known them for years. The Liverpool and Glasgow jokes are flying constantly.

I also love the stone, cobbles and all the beautiful architecture. It is like a warm cosy blanket to me.

An added, minor bonus, is that tins and packets are written entirely in English, so I don't have to wade through the French part of the labeling to get to the English translation.
I can relate to that, its so much easier to read everything!

I like that we get the post delivered through the door before 10 am (had to collect our mail at the post office where I used to live)

Real fish and chips with lots of malt vinegar

Hedgerows and stone walls

Real holly bushes and ivy that grows around tree trunks

Lots of lovely old architecture

Hearing everyone around me sounds like the real me (or more like me than overseas)

Like many of you, chit chatting with strangers

Bright blue skies and sunshine (now and again ) that don't invariably come with temperatures of plus or minus 30 something.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 12:40 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Having my little pooch welcomed in lots of places and not treated like the spawn of satan

Twisty roads!

CHEEEEEESE Gromit!

Antiques

The British fresh air
The countryside and greenery
Seeing cows and sheep in the fields
Small villages
Winding roads in the country
Rose beds and beautiful gardens
Marks and Spencer
Sincerity of people (in general)
Fish and chips
Community feel
Rabbits, tortoises, toads and frogs
A less extreme society that is a lot less driven by the pound sign
Being close to France and Spain
A better balance between work and personal life
Far better quality of meat and produce
British bakeries

Last edited by windsong; Mar 15th 2013 at 12:50 am.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 12:58 am
Get me out of here ...

jeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond repute

Great post!

Being able to open the windows again
Airing cupboards
Radiators
Not having to repeat every sentence
Costa coffee
Roundabouts and twisty roads
Fields full of cattle
An early spring
Being able to see my friends and family without a long plane journey
Having "normal" telly
Greggs sausage rolls, magnum mint and strawberry cornetto ice creams
John Lewis
Hedgehogs
Feeding the birds without bleedin' racoons nicking all the food
Feeling I am where I belong
Old Mar 15th 2013, 1:43 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Not feeling hot for 6 months of the year.
Being able to sit on the lawn without being bitten by massive ants.
Not being lunged at by poisonous snakes and jumped at by spiders.
Kicking through leaves.
Primroses, daffodils, bluebells and rhodedendrons.
Maran chickens, pet rabbits, hamsters.
Song birds.
Leading up to Christmas in London.
Green countryside.
Mr Kipling apple and blackcurrant pies.
Macaroons from the baker.
One hour travel by train to London.
Scampi, cod and chips.
Exploring.
Narrow streets.
Walking in long grass.
Banter.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 1:54 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Twisty roads!

CHEEEEEESE Gromit!

Antiques

And just imagine all those wonderful walks for doggie I have been thinking about how much my own two little dogs will LOVE it. Their tails will be flying high
Old Mar 15th 2013, 3:11 am
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

Oh gosh, where do I start?? LOL

Celebrating Christmas and have it FEEL like Christmas, with all the specials on the telly, all the decorations... SNOW (if I'm lucky..lol)
Vimto and Ribena
Long winding roads and stone walls
Beautiful English countryside....hills...hills and more hills
The English sense of humour so I can be myself and not have people look at me like I've grown two heads.
Ice cream cone with a flake stuck in it
BBC, ITV, Corrie
Fish and Chips with real malt vinegar and mushy peas
Mint Imperials
Being able to get on a bus or a train and go ANYWHERE

I could go on, but I'll let someone else have a turn....LOL
Old Mar 15th 2013, 5:25 am
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
And just imagine all those wonderful walks for doggie I have been thinking about how much my own two little dogs will LOVE it. Their tails will be flying high
Oh yes, so many wonderful footpaths, lanes, moors..... he'll go bonkers. I'm pretty sure he's never seen a wild bunny, it's going to blow his mind!
Old Mar 15th 2013, 5:32 am
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ElizabethK
For those of us who will return soon, or those who will return in many years - what are you most looking forward to with the move back to UK?

A few of mine are:-

Going into a real butcher's shop complete with fake, plastic leaves at the front of the display cabinet and a butcher wearing a striped pinny & white hat knowing that the meat I'm buying isn't pumped full of water nor shrink wrapped in plastic. Also a bonus (especially lately) will be knowing that I'm not buying horsemeat which has been labelled as beef.

Going to the beach on a sunny day (hopefully there'll be some) and buying a Mr Whippy 99 with loads of the raspberry syrup trickling down the sides.

Having the long days in the summer when the sun sets after 10pm and rises by 4 the next morning.

Listening to Radio 2 en-route to work without having an endless stream of commercials every few records.

Being able to walk the dog off her lead either in the park or on a beach

Getting excited for Christmas knowing that there'll be loads of Christmas Specials on telly. Also being able to buy real fresh double cream to go on my xmas pud instead of the imported double devon cream we get here in small glass jars sold at an extortionate price.

Having more than one day off for Christmas

Being content with having a small garden that is manageable and not need a whole day just to cut the grass on a tractor mower.

Being able to by a loaf of bread for less than the equiv. $3 and having said bread not taste somewhat sweetened.

Golden shred marmalade

Having a window cleaner (why can I not find them for love nor money here in PA?)

A brick house and not one built of wood that could so easily be burnt to the ground in seconds or eaten by some big mother effing ants!

Being able to buy Ribena for £1 and not have to order online a case of 12 for over $100

Not having people talk so much of religion or god. It could be that here in PA religion is more popular than in other states, but it's far too religious for my liking here being the confirmed atheist that I am.

There's probably loads more I've missed but that's just a few I can think of off the top of my head here
Good list, it is all here and waiting for you to indulge. All the others lists people have posted too.
Thanks cos these help me remember why I am here and to see past the drudge of life.
Today there were sheep in fields beside bus route, snowdrops in the hedgerows. Once back it can be too easy to take for granted but must remember to look and the enjoy the feast.

Last edited by J.JsOH; Mar 15th 2013 at 5:39 am.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 5:34 am
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WhoFan63
Oh gosh, where do I start?? LOL

Celebrating Christmas and have it FEEL like Christmas, with all the specials on the telly, all the decorations... SNOW (if I'm lucky..lol)
Vimto and Ribena
Long winding roads and stone walls
Beautiful English countryside....hills...hills and more hills
The English sense of humour so I can be myself and not have people look at me like I've grown two heads.
Ice cream cone with a flake stuck in it
BBC, ITV, Corrie
Fish and Chips with real malt vinegar and mushy peas
Mint Imperials
Being able to get on a bus or a train and go ANYWHERE

I could go on, but I'll let someone else have a turn....LOL
We have Vimto everytime we go to the dine-in chippy. Love the stuff, straight out of childhood memories
Old Mar 15th 2013, 5:39 am
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by J.JsOH
We have Vimto everytime we go to the dine-in chippy. Love the stuff, straight out of childhood memories
It's definitely a childhood memory. I even found some Vimto lollies when I went to Poundland last year and they were addictive.. LOL
Old Mar 15th 2013, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Just thought of some more

Lion Midget gems or Lion Sports Mixtures with the black licquorice ones (not the new variety made by Maynards that have blackcurrant black ones)

Not getting a bill from the doctors for some small procedure I had done two months ago (just got one in the mail today )

Driving past churches when a wedding is taking place. I don't think I've seen any here, I think they're all held at the local Holiday Inn.

Picking wild blackberries in September and making a delicious apple & blackberry pie with real baking apples

Multi point water heaters.

A bath that's long enough to lie down in without having to slide my feet half way up the wall in front of me!

Argos

Being able to get the bus to go to work if my car doesn't start

Fizzy refresher sweets that make you burp so loud if you eat the whole packet in one go

Cheese & onion crisps ( sour cream and chives just don't do it for me)

Hearing in the distance children playing in the local school playground at playtime. (Do they even have playtime in USA schools ? I only remember my kids having recess during their school years and I'm not sure they were even allowed outside for it!)

Horses clip-clopping along country lanes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.