Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

what will you miss when you leave ?

what will you miss when you leave ?

Old Dec 30th 2006, 11:02 pm
FPM
Banned

Location: knuckle dragging, cultureless, boring, dingo oblivion
FPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what will you miss when you leave ?

Originally Posted by Rascal
Its the observations we have made about folk who travel and those that haven't. Funny wnough, had same conversation with another Brit last night (lived in OZ also) and he said the same. Both Ozzies and Kiwis defend their country at the slightest thing you say negative, but the ones that have ventured abroad can sometimes see the point you make.
Unless your name is Denver
Old Dec 31st 2006, 3:22 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
I can't say I've gone so far as a spreadsheet, but I think you have to take the whole tax burden into account (not sure if you did this). Eg NI, VAT, fuel tax, booze duty, stamp duty (and that's a huge burden if you move house very often, it would have cost me more to move within my village than it did to get to NZ), inheritance tax, capital gains. The cost of these are more difficult to calculate easily, hence they're sometimes called stealth taxes. I don't suppose they'll go away when Gordon Brown becomes PM.
Well I don't drink or smoke so that lot of takes didn't effect me. I drive about 3 times further here than back home so petrol for me isn't cheaper. I'm finding the weekly food bill much dearer than back home and it's rising week on week before my eyes. Very reminiscent of communist Bulgaria a few years back. I seem to pay rego for EVERYTHING, boat, boat trailer, caravan, trailer, car, car. In fact the annual pilgrimage to the RTA now costs me a small fortune. The stamp duty I paid to buy the farm was almost enough to buy a flat somewhere. GST is cheaper than VAT but then there is nothing here I want to buy.

So no I didn't calculate everything just income tax and it's definitely for me higher here than back home, and the tax breaks for higher earners aren’t as good so I see less incentive here for people to better themselves than back home.

In short whether true or not I ‘feel’ far worse off here and that at the end of the day is all that matters.
Old Dec 31st 2006, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

What about tax on fuel? When I was working full time, I drove 25 min to work and back five days a week. Add a few supermarket trips, seeing friends at the weekend, and I spent about £200-250 a month on fuel.
I wonder what it would cost in NSW to do the same travelling?
Old Dec 31st 2006, 10:10 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by esperanza
What about tax on fuel? When I was working full time, I drove 25 min to work and back five days a week. Add a few supermarket trips, seeing friends at the weekend, and I spent about £200-250 a month on fuel.
I wonder what it would cost in NSW to do the same travelling?
That all depends on your circumstances when you get here. I drive about 3 times as far as I did in the UK and the car has to be serviced twice as often so for me the petrol/car definately works out dearer for me. Also the average Australian drives 2.5 times the distance of his UK counterpart so I don't think there will be much in it if you come here and become mr & mrs average. Go rural like me and you will pay a lot more.

Then again, move to Melbourne or Sydney and live very near the tram or train line and I can imagine it being much much cheaper than back home. So at the end of the day it's down to your choices when you get here.
Old Dec 31st 2006, 11:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

blowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by arkon
Well I don't drink or smoke so that lot of takes didn't effect me. I drive about 3 times further here than back home so petrol for me isn't cheaper. I'm finding the weekly food bill much dearer than back home and it's rising week on week before my eyes. Very reminiscent of communist Bulgaria a few years back. I seem to pay rego for EVERYTHING, boat, boat trailer, caravan, trailer, car, car. In fact the annual pilgrimage to the RTA now costs me a small fortune. The stamp duty I paid to buy the farm was almost enough to buy a flat somewhere. GST is cheaper than VAT but then there is nothing here I want to buy.

So no I didn't calculate everything just income tax and it's definitely for me higher here than back home, and the tax breaks for higher earners aren’t as good so I see less incentive here for people to better themselves than back home.

In short whether true or not I ‘feel’ far worse off here and that at the end of the day is all that matters.
It could also be that it is down to the quality of life, that can make you feel worse off here.we have found everything here to be generaly more expensive except petrol but we spend $700.00 amonth on that,something we didn't do in the UK.
Old Jan 1st 2007, 5:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blowfly
It could also be that it is down to the quality of life, that can make you feel worse off here.we have found everything here to be generaly more expensive except petrol but we spend $700.00 amonth on that,something we didn't do in the UK.
$700 pm on fuel, hell it mounts up doesn't it?
I have found most things in NZ more expensive salary v cost of living.
It might appear cheaper when you compare GBP to dollars, but then when you start earning in Kiwi dollars and spending kiwi dollars, it hits hard how much more expensive life is here.
Old Jan 1st 2007, 6:37 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rascal
$700 pm on fuel, hell it mounts up doesn't it?
I have found most things in NZ more expensive salary v cost of living.
It might appear cheaper when you compare GBP to dollars, but then when you start earning in Kiwi dollars and spending kiwi dollars, it hits hard how much more expensive life is here.
I think this is why most kiwis who move to oz do so. Perhaps if they were able to, they'd move to uk to live, but they can go live in oz without having to apply to migrate.