Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What will you miss and not when you get back to the UK.

What will you miss and not when you get back to the UK.

Old Apr 4th 2009, 2:53 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What will you miss and not when you get back to the UK.

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble
Sounds like heaven.
Given that they can take their dream lifestyle in the UK and easily adapt it to a sunny environment, I imagine they do feel in heaven.
Old Apr 5th 2009, 1:28 am
Just Joined

Lost_in_space is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd miss a lot of the quirky little things about Australia. The postmen on their little motorbikes (who do a loop past the postbox and exit across our front lawn!). The bin men with the cool monster garbage trucks with the claws that pick up the bins! Having avocados with just about everything. Hanging out my washing and knowing it will be dry within the hour. Driving to work with the sun splitting the skies. Sitting out on the verandah with a glass of wine surrounded by 30 or so cockatoos. The general optimism.

I won't miss bogans, holdens, finding it so hard to stay warm during the winter nights, vegemite and the lack of online shopping. I'll miss more than I won't miss. But then I actually love Australia and when I leave it's more to do with distance.
Old Apr 5th 2009, 1:41 am
Just Joined

Ozziedream has a brilliant futureOzziedream has a brilliant futureOzziedream has a brilliant futureOzziedream has a brilliant futureOzziedream has a brilliant futureOzziedream has a brilliant future

The beautiful coloured sunsets and sunrises. The still quiet evenings with not even a breath of wind. The 'al fresco' coffees. My friends.
Not much else I'd miss to be honest. Oh..well...maybe the fresh fruit, particularly watermelon and mango. :
Old Apr 5th 2009, 12:14 pm
Account Closed

Funky Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by london52
Blimey I love Portugal but suppose it is diferent everywhere when you live and work there.
I love Portugal and have been there and Spain, give me Portugal over that over rated dull pit called Spain anyday.
Old Apr 5th 2009, 12:23 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Funky Monkey
I love Portugal and have been there and Spain, give me Portugal over that over rated dull pit called Spain anyday.
At least people smile in Spain..............Something that makes any pit less dull.
Old Apr 5th 2009, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

scbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud of

Moved from USA to UK (then back again )

Missed:
Easy living - parking, driving, shopping etc
Sunshine and warm weather.
Our affordable house.
Optimism
Affordable good restaurants
Nice Beaches nearby
A few hours drive to the Smokey Mountains
Playgrounds (my DS5 says they have the best ones in America!)
Cleanliness of streets etc.. (my DS5 first words off the airplane in Orlando was, "why's it so clean?"!)
Friendly and respectful teenagers
Friendly people

Did Not Miss:
Health Care Insurance (unfortunately you seem to learn everything the hard way!)
Being tied to a job for good benefits - health care, holidays etc
Most jobs giving only 2 weeks holiday (just had a job offer for a professional accounts manager job that in the first year, there was no vacation, only 1 week in the 2nd year )
Mosquitos that seem to love my English blood
Hurricanes
Insincere friendly people
Living in the Bible Belt - Being told by my SIL that we would go to hell if we didn't go to church on Sundays
The general lack of knowledge about anything outside of the US

I am sure there must be lots more but I can't think of it..
Old Apr 6th 2009, 6:18 am
Richard & Nikki

dickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to all

Moving back to the UK in May:

Things I think I might miss are:
Blue sky/colorful birds/butterflies
Night sky with lots of clear bright stars
Choice of sandy beaches within easy reach
Lounging around in shorts since day
Driving (like the slower speeds)
Having my shopping packed for me instead of me having to chuck everything into bags as quick as possible at Tesco's
Basically knowing the sun will be shining most days so you can plan your weekends
Popping to the Lagoon after school with the kids
OH yes must not forget - Hubby, as he isn't leaving until October

Things I won't miss:
The "see ya", "hows it going" saying (drives me mad)
The humidity/heat
Wearing thongs (I miss wearing shoes)
Shops, shops and shops! (just dont seem to have much choice)
Crap TV
Staying up all hours to watch the footie
Pot holes that get filled in every week then a day later are back again!
Being able to buy alcohol in Tesco instead of driving 7km to nearest liquor store.
Kids playing on playstation as it's too hot to play out
The sun fading all my dark clothes! Not being able to get white clothes looking white after a wash or two.

I could go on and on but, I won't

Nikki
Old Apr 6th 2009, 7:03 am
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by i11m10c2
Still kicking around going home. bonnyrigg scotland. Ben in us for 20 years!

will miss: my big diesel dodge truck,my massive collection of guns and love of shooting:some truly great friends (most americans are hard working law abiding patriotic and great people nomatter what the media seems to think.)
and will miss some of the great spaces here to explore.

wont miss: blatantly corrupt politicians and legal system, the ridiculous amount of gun violence 2-3 mass shootings a day nation wide,the all about me bubble people that couldnt care less about others, taxes that increase whithout any explanation and just told we need more money. My god use what you have properly before you ask me for more. oh yea and tornados, earquakes, floods ,and huricanes,

Might be just me but the utopia of the "land of opportunity " might be disappearing
Is all that happening in Tacoma Washington? I've never seen a hurricane in washington state.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

internationalbefky is just really niceinternationalbefky is just really niceinternationalbefky is just really niceinternationalbefky is just really niceinternationalbefky is just really niceinternationalbefky is just really niceinternationalbefky is just really niceinternationalbefky is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
At least people smile in Spain..............Something that makes any pit less dull.
Lol - haven't lived in Spain so can't really comment on what it's like there allthe time, but I do think the Portuguese are miserable sods with not an ounce of imagination between them. A shame, as I do like the country and wouldn't mind coming here again to visit my friends for holidays, but I'm really getting sick and tired of living here now. Things may be more hectic in Britain, but they run a damn site more smoothly.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 1:34 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by internationalbefky
Lol - haven't lived in Spain so can't really comment on what it's like there allthe time, but I do think the Portuguese are miserable sods with not an ounce of imagination between them. A shame, as I do like the country and wouldn't mind coming here again to visit my friends for holidays, but I'm really getting sick and tired of living here now. Things may be more hectic in Britain, but they run a damn site more smoothly.
UK= Top end of the first world and has all the advantages and disadvantages associated with it.

Spain= Bottom end of the first World, with one foot planted firmly in the first world and the other foot planted firmly in the second world.

Portugal= Second world country with both feet planted firmly there.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

times up is a jewel in the roughtimes up is a jewel in the roughtimes up is a jewel in the roughtimes up is a jewel in the rough

From Asia to the UK.

I'll miss:

The weather. Just too used to the heat.
Variety of fruit and vegetables at cheap prices.
In the towns, the 24/7 life of a tourist if you want it.
7/11 open 24 hours a day.
Not worrying about speed cameras as there aren't any.
Cheap transport and petrol prices.
Cheap car prices.
The hospitality of the real people.
Cheap utilities bills.

I'll really miss the things that I will no longer be able to do at the drop of a hat. My freedom also.

I won't miss:

Mosquitoes and other bugs. They don't bother me too much but the ants do for sure.
The stupidity of the people. Even the educated ones are largely stupid.
The sheer stupidity of those not educated.
Their driving skills or lack thereof.
The underlying threat of violence from young males.
Stupid festivals which interupt business for far too long.
Inept and corrupt government.
Utterly corrupt police force.
Dual pricing.

Probably many other things which seem important now but which will not seem important later.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 2:54 am
Just Joined

thecopycat is an unknown quantity at this point

Desperately wanting to leave Canada and return to the UK.

Will miss:
Not having to get dressed properly for the school run
Starbucks on every corner
Pool in the back yard
Hot summers and ski-ing in the winter
Lovely new friends
CFRB

Will not miss:
Flies & mozzies
No alcohol in supermarkets
Driving everywhere
Straight/strange sense of humour
Useless TV
Paper-thin walls
No pubs!
Dreadfully uniformed news broadcasts
Looooooooong winters
Terrible chocolate
Potholes
Severe lack of decent clothes shops!
Tax on everything
Pathetically small amount of annual holiday

As you can see I am missing England - the 'will not miss' list is way longer! Didn't think I would really but after 2 years I long for my homeland, warts and all.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

ellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to all

will miss

the beaches
warm weather

wont miss
bogans/feral people
loneliness and social isolation
empty streets
restaurants that close at 9pm FFS
less holidays
crap shops
taxes taxes and more bloody taxes
overpriced food
overpriced 2nd hand cars
having to drive everywhere
boredom
freezing cold houses
lack of culture
Old Apr 7th 2009, 7:47 am
Banned

london52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by thecopycat
Desperately wanting to leave Canada and return to the UK.

Will miss:
Not having to get dressed properly for the school run
Starbucks on every corner
Pool in the back yard
Hot summers and ski-ing in the winter
Lovely new friends
CFRB

Will not miss:
Flies & mozzies
No alcohol in supermarkets
Driving everywhere
Straight/strange sense of humour
Useless TV
Paper-thin walls
No pubs!
Dreadfully uniformed news broadcasts
Looooooooong winters
Terrible chocolate
Potholes
Severe lack of decent clothes shops!
Tax on everything
Pathetically small amount of annual holiday

As you can see I am missing England - the 'will not miss' list is way longer! Didn't think I would really but after 2 years I long for my homeland, warts and all.
Agreed, you really do not realise untill you have left what you had.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 10:34 am
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

Probably not a great deal. I suppose there are some things I will miss/not miss a little bit, but nothing compelling. I tend to live in the present, make the decisions that seem right at the time, and not look back at things very much.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.