Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What will you miss and not when you get back to the UK.

What will you miss and not when you get back to the UK.

Old Apr 7th 2009, 3:57 am
Forum Regular

dontrush is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What will you miss and not when you get back to the UK.

Will miss:
Not having to get dressed properly for the school run
Starbucks on every corner
Pool in the back yard
Hot summers and ski-ing in the winter
Lovely new friends
CFRB

Will not miss:
Flies & mozzies
No alcohol in supermarkets
Driving everywhere
Straight/strange sense of humour
Useless TV
Paper-thin walls
No pubs!
Dreadfully uniformed news broadcasts
Looooooooong winters
Terrible chocolate
Potholes
Severe lack of decent clothes shops!
Tax on everything
Pathetically small amount of annual holiday

LOL! Thank God it's not just me! I'm here for the duration, but there are so many "weird" things that I can't get my head around! I agree with the stupid tax system: Look people, just add it on, and when I go to the store with a buck, I can actually BUY something that is priced at a buck without having to figure out how much more I need!!

TV : Didn't think that telly could be worse than the UK...WRONG! OMG the CNN "opinionated" delivery makes my skin crawl! Nancy Grace, Christ, I wouldn't want to meet that in a dark ally. She has everyone tried, convicted and sentenced by the end of her show!You want the definition of "Trial by media" then watch that auld slapper!

Annual Leave. 2 weeks, are these people serious?!?! I CANNOT believe that! Also find that just about everyone is a "firms person." I don't know if thats a good thing or bad thing, but I leave you with the words of wisdom of a guy I worked with many years ago....
"All of those who do their best, go down the road with all the rest"

Sad, but nonetheless, true!
Old Apr 7th 2009, 6:16 am
Forum Regular

times up is a jewel in the roughtimes up is a jewel in the roughtimes up is a jewel in the roughtimes up is a jewel in the rough

I was once asked to consider a position in the USa but they baulked with my demands for a minimum of 6 to 8 weeks leave per year.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 6:21 am
Banned

london52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by times up
I was once asked to consider a position in the USa but they baulked with my demands for a minimum of 6 to 8 weeks leave per year.
I should think so....2 months of a year
Old Apr 7th 2009, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dickchap
Moving back to the UK in May:

Things I think I might miss are:
Blue sky/colorful birds/butterflies
Night sky with lots of clear bright stars
Choice of sandy beaches within easy reach
Lounging around in shorts since day
Driving (like the slower speeds)
Having my shopping packed for me instead of me having to chuck everything into bags as quick as possible at Tesco's
Basically knowing the sun will be shining most days so you can plan your weekends
Popping to the Lagoon after school with the kids
OH yes must not forget - Hubby, as he isn't leaving until October

Things I won't miss:
The "see ya", "hows it going" saying (drives me mad)
The humidity/heat
Wearing thongs (I miss wearing shoes)
Shops, shops and shops! (just dont seem to have much choice)
Crap TV
Staying up all hours to watch the footie
Pot holes that get filled in every week then a day later are back again!
Being able to buy alcohol in Tesco instead of driving 7km to nearest liquor store.
Kids playing on playstation as it's too hot to play out
The sun fading all my dark clothes! Not being able to get white clothes looking white after a wash or two.

I could go on and on but, I won't

Nikki
Had to laugh at this post as I have tried loads of different washing powders as I just could not understand why whites do not even stay white (ish) for long, I am now an expert at drying clothes out of the sun (should come in handy on our return to England..!!!) like a lot of other people we will miss certain things here in Perth but we miss more in the U.K and Europe...yes even Portugal.....our Portuguese friends here in Perth think we are mad for wanting to visit Portugal again...there glad never to see their homeland again!!!! oh needless to say they are not keen at all on Aus.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by london52
Oh so you would'nt like 6/8 weeks off a year?......I'd would'nt mind it....when you think of working nearly 52 weeks a year....it's a drop in the ocean...and life is just too short......
Old Apr 7th 2009, 3:43 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

Came home to UK from Canada June 08 after 4 years, and haven't missed a thing!
Old Apr 7th 2009, 7:22 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thecopycat
No alcohol in supermarkets
That used to drive me insane. Always having to make two stops! Especially irritating when you'd go over the border and the yanks have it in petrol stations!
Old Apr 7th 2009, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

times up is a jewel in the roughtimes up is a jewel in the roughtimes up is a jewel in the roughtimes up is a jewel in the rough

Why not ? Already had a minimum of 30 days a year at my bank and additional time off when travelling over weekends or holidays etc. Then statutory days off, no stupid USA type weekend breakfast meetings etc.

There is a saying I heard or perhaps made up. You can always make more money, you can never buy more time.

Originally Posted by brits1
Oh so you would'nt like 6/8 weeks off a year?......I'd would'nt mind it....when you think of working nearly 52 weeks a year....it's a drop in the ocean...and life is just too short......
The French have the right idea, work hard, limited hours per week and long holidays. Productivity is high because of this. The USA have bean counters who extrapolate that productivity into the free time but they don't understand that such a computation does not work in real life.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 2:05 am
Forum Regular

slidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant future

Why not ? Already had a minimum of 30 days a year at my bank and additional time off when travelling over weekends or holidays etc. Then statutory days off, no stupid USA type weekend breakfast meetings etc.

There is a saying I heard or perhaps made up. You can always make more money, you can never buy more time.

The French have the right idea, work hard, limited hours per week and long holidays. Productivity is high because of this. The USA have bean counters who extrapolate that productivity into the free time but they don't understand that such a computation does not work in real life.
Work in the USA and reap you reward or make your bed and lie in it. Unless your in government or education its 10 days annually if your lucky, many dont even get that until one year has passed.

Americans create their own misery. Everyone I have ever met " talks a good job of work!" Amazingly they all believe they work hard at least 10 -12 hours a day. Yet in my experience the work they do could be condensed to a maximum of half the time they say they spend working.

Work is an 8 hour interruption of my life. I certainly wil not miss 10 days a year annual leave

Last edited by slidingbyee; Apr 8th 2009 at 2:06 am. Reason: spelling
Old Apr 8th 2009, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by slidingbyee
Work in the USA and reap you reward or make your bed and lie in it. Unless your in government or education its 10 days annually if your lucky, many dont even get that until one year has passed.

Americans create their own misery. Everyone I have ever met " talks a good job of work!" Amazingly they all believe they work hard at least 10 -12 hours a day. Yet in my experience the work they do could be condensed to a maximum of half the time they say they spend working.

Work is an 8 hour interruption of my life. I certainly wil not miss 10 days a year annual leave
I have also met many USA bankers (my old game) who recalled imense amounts of input but could never show a similar level of output. It was almost as though the oneupmanship of putting in these ridiculous hours was part of the output process itself and certainly one to be admired.

Look at any USA company or even a European company who has adopted their managment structure. Just how many Vice Presidents do you need ? The USA as a country gets by on one and yet companies have hundreds.

I guess they have a VP of toilet cleaning.

I remember some guy trying to schedule some weekend meeting and the looks he got !
Old Apr 8th 2009, 5:23 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Came home six months ago and all I miss is my walk-in-robe and big ensuite!!! So shallow aren't I?

Looking forward to a summer ( and I say that loosely!) without flies, light nights, birds singing in the trees, summer hay fields, green trees everywhere, pub gardens, beaches you can play cricket on and without sharks.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 5:54 am
Banned

london52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Came home six months ago and all I miss is my walk-in-robe and big ensuite!!! So shallow aren't I?

Looking forward to a summer ( and I say that loosely!) without flies, light nights, birds singing in the trees, summer hay fields, green trees everywhere, pub gardens, beaches you can play cricket on and without sharks.
Devon is ace....did you go back to the same place you left.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by TraceyW

Hi Tracey,
Lovely to hear all is going well...we have just sold our home but we are renting until our youngest now finishes year 11 (this Dec 09) we cannot wait to be home again but a few more months after all this time will be okay to handle!!!!! the only think I think I will miss is an en-suite....
Old Apr 10th 2009, 10:33 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Devon is ace....did you go back to the same place you left.
Nope, we left Worcestershire and went to oz. But determined we didn't want to return to the Midlands...done that, been there etc. Devon was such a good choice for us, we're never bored and have zillions of things to do so close to hand.

Originally Posted by brits1
Hi Tracey,
Lovely to hear all is going well...we have just sold our home but we are renting until our youngest now finishes year 11 (this Dec 09) we cannot wait to be home again but a few more months after all this time will be okay to handle!!!!! the only think I think I will miss is an en-suite....

Well done you for flogging the house!! Hope the move goes well. be prepared to feel unsettled when you get back, only natural, you've been in Oz a long time. Give yourself some space to adjust and 'she'll be right' old girl!
Old Apr 11th 2009, 3:22 am
Forum Regular

snogood is a jewel in the roughsnogood is a jewel in the roughsnogood is a jewel in the roughsnogood is a jewel in the rough

I won't miss a frozen garden from November to April! You could break a shovel here (if you weren't using it to clear the snow)

I will miss the big bright skies.

I won't miss rubber cheese, and streaky bacon.

I will miss my house, especially the extra space in the basement for kids to run around.

I won't miss the brown landscape for 8 months.

I will miss opening the back door and letting my kids have safe freedom of our neighbourhood.

I won't miss massive gas guzzling trucks everywhere you go.

I will miss the spectacular horizon of the Rockies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.