Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What Are They talking About????

What Are They talking About????

Old Feb 22nd 2009, 2:29 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Are They talking About????

Originally Posted by cricket1
Well that will be the next political assault. The unemployed will be taking jobs from the redundant. Heard it all before.
Ain't that the truth.

We have to remember that 5% of the working age population -- and leaving aside those in institutions -- are basically unemployable. They have extremely low IQ, physical or psychological disabilities that make it hard to work, or are single parents with young children who can't earn enough to pay day care.

I'm not sure how many 5% of the working population of the UK is. Does anyone here? The population is about 60 million, but I don't know how many are in the 16(and not in education) -65 age group.

When there's an economic boom 1-2% of those hard to employ will find work, but they're usually the first to go, too. 5% is normal, and is actually considered economically healthy. (As I said before, I used to work in employment services in England.)

Unemployment is rough for those caught in it, and when whole companies shut down it makes a huge impact, especially locally. I'm just saying, that coming down off a boom may not be as dire as it seems if the percentage isn't too high. 10% is crisis point.

Bev
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 3:08 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bevm
Ain't that the truth.

We have to remember that 5% of the working age population -- and leaving aside those in institutions -- are basically unemployable. They have extremely low IQ, physical or psychological disabilities that make it hard to work, or are single parents with young children who can't earn enough to pay day care.

I'm not sure how many 5% of the working population of the UK is. Does anyone here? The population is about 60 million, but I don't know how many are in the 16(and not in education) -65 age group.

When there's an economic boom 1-2% of those hard to employ will find work, but they're usually the first to go, too. 5% is normal, and is actually considered economically healthy. (As I said before, I used to work in employment services in England.)

Unemployment is rough for those caught in it, and when whole companies shut down it makes a huge impact, especially locally. I'm just saying, that coming down off a boom may not be as dire as it seems if the percentage isn't too high. 10% is crisis point.

Bev

I can't remember the link but as of Feb last year, the UK employed a record approx 29 million people. 10 million are receiving some kind of benefits but these include students, retired, disability, families, war pension plus 1.7 million that are long term unemployed.
To my reckoning, even if the predicted 3 million unemployed happens, that still leaves a working population of roughly 26 million.

There are approx 12 million children under the age of 18 living in england and Wales.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 4:34 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

This is exactly my point. Thank goodness someone has spelled it out.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7785564.stm
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 9:14 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
Sorry, I was asleep.

Yes and no. I'm a CELTA qualified teacher through Cambridge (taken in Oz) and taught English when I lived in Colombia (voluntarily), but it's not how I make my living. I thought that I would make my living through teaching at one point as my intention was to return to Colombia permanently, ( it's my favourite country apart from England) but I ended up getting married in Korea so I have not been back since.

I have done some paid teaching here, mostly in multi-nationals that employ large groups of Japanese and Koreans and I've had some private students. I can't say a career in ELTA really appeals nowadays as it's a young person's game really and not well paid but I have found having the certificate proves invaluable on my CV when demonstrating high level written and verbal communication skills, which are very important my job.

One thing I loved about the CELTA program above the myriad others out there is that it really focuses on how to be a good teacher as well as the actual language itself. I have to say it wasn't easy at all, even the entrance exam was pretty hard. Native speakers are rarely taught all the technical terms for different aspects of English, as we don't essentially need to know them. For example, I was surprised to learn there are 13 tenses, not 3.

I've always been very interested in language and cultures, especially non Anglo ones. I'm at my most 'comfortable' when in a country where I have to work hard to communicate. It makes one feel alive and more aware of the world IMO.
Most of the many English teachers that I have had over the years were very good and with personality. Most were from the UK but also had some AUS, NZ and Irish teachers as well. First started to learn English at around 7/8 years of age and then went overseas when I was in my teens, my parents would send me to language schools in the UK for the summer holidays etc. I went to schools in places such as London, Dublin, Brighton and Eastbourne etc At first I would hate going to these schools but after a couple of years really enjoyed it, along with both the families and places and stayed with some very nice families..........Some I am still in contact with, despite going there many many years ago.

Did you learn to speak Spanish in Colombia? Its quite a contrast given that your 2 fav countries are England and Colombia..........mmmmmm very very different. I know both Bogota and Medellin briefly after tripping across from Ecuador on two occasions.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 9:17 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GagainPEI
Sorry. Back in the corner.
You can come back out now
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 10:52 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

You and I were posting similar thoughts right from the start of all this, but many people think we are daft older women.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 10:56 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
You and I were posting similar thoughts right from the start of all this, but many people think we are daft older women.
Well you don`t look that old to me, you may be many things but daft you`re not
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 11:03 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
Well you don`t look that old to me, you may be many things but daft you`re not
Oooooh you smooth talker you

I'm a granny you know!
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 11:07 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Oooooh you smooth talker you

I'm a granny you know!
It is one of my many charms

Yes I know, I have noticed you mentioning this on many threads here and looking at your photo it is hard to believe.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 11:08 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I also read that delivery pizza companies are raking it in (eating at home instead of expensive restaurants).
Which is funny in itself seeing as Pizza is so expensive for what it actually is.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 11:10 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Which is funny in itself seeing as Pizza is so expensive for what it actually is.
Glorified cheese on toast but with a few more toppings.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 11:12 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

On the BBC website the other day, the main large story was 850 job losses and underneath, much smaller, was KFC creating 9,000 jobs. Dont get it at all.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 11:23 am
Éireann go Brách

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
Glorified cheese on toast but with a few more toppings.
Havent had a pizza since i had this masterpiece on the Amalfi Coast in Italy under a lemon tree.

Old Feb 23rd 2009, 1:20 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Havent had a pizza since i had this masterpiece on the Amalfi Coast in Italy under a lemon tree.

http://img6.imageshack.us/my.php?ima...einitaly06.jpg
Couldn`t see the picture very well but what I did see looked quite disgusting
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 1:32 pm
Banned

Coda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really nice

On the BBC website the other day, the main large story was 850 job losses and underneath, much smaller, was KFC creating 9,000 jobs. Dont get it at all.
Are you insuating that there is a conspiracy perpetuated by the media that there is a banking crisis and associated recession when really the UK is in boom-time because 800 jobs at KFC have been created?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.