Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What Are They talking About????

What Are They talking About????

Old Feb 21st 2009, 3:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Are They talking About????

Here's some new jobs -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_west/7896666.stm
Old Feb 21st 2009, 3:32 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Taffyles
But many more jobs lost at Llanwern.

http://www.newportcitynews.com/2009/...mothballs.html
Old Feb 21st 2009, 3:37 am
BE Enthusiast

USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Taffyles
Been in Florida 17 years - we came here in the '91 recession, and I've never seen things this bad. The media glosses things over here.
The amount of garage sales is phenomenal though- people aren't buying where I live, they're selling their stuff.
I hear you. It seems the only news on the local channels is about Casay Anthony or the rate of foreclosures within the state. Florida is particularly bad and I won't miss leaving the feelings I now have for this place firmly behind us when we leave. We started out in Texas and I do believe that had we stayed there, we would have weathered this whole housing / economic mess a lot better. We have friends in Texas and they are nowhere near as screwed as we are here in FL. Are you going back to the UK?
Old Feb 21st 2009, 4:46 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USAGypsies
I followed your link and at the top of the page it says:
18191 UK Jobs
64 New Jobs Today
Where should I be looking to see 500,000 UK jobs?
No, not to worry, I just scrolled and saw the article below.

Unemployment in the UK is at a 10 year high. With nearly 2 million people currently unemployed, 500,000 jobs is only going to go so far and you have to ask... why are these jobs still available? It's a bit like when an attractive house goes on the market, it doesn't last long and all the other homes that are not so great are available for a much longer time. The UK has experienced a sharp kick in the gut with the record number of redundancies reported over the past 3 months. It's very likely that the number of unemployed is already over 2 million people simply because the number of unemployed people who are not claiming JSA can not be accurately counted.

Personally I believe that if one is focused enough, one will find work no matter what the odds. My real concern though is of the quality of jobs available and the overall effect this downturn is having on peoples lives that is directly related to their jobs. People are having to work much harder, going the extra mile, not speaking out or up for themselves trying not to upset the boss or rock the boat, not asking for a pay rise no matter how deserved and doing longer hours for no additional pay, for fear of losing their jobs. This leads to low moral, fear and depression.... and that's the people with jobs.

But out of that 2 million figure, 1.7 million were already unemployed and have been for a long time. These are the jobless who tend to be quite happy not working. In fact, recently the government have brought in new rules that say the long term unemployed are now going to have to work for their dole money.

Myself, and friends I know at home are confused by the doom and gloom as presented in the media because although jobs are going in some industries others are being created and most of the business people I know have never been busier.
Don't forget, some companies who were in massive debt will see this crisis as a way out. They will sack everyone, go insolvent and start up again under another name. It will look bad in the number crunching and the media will highlight it as bad news but it will be happening as a an easy way to write off debt. Happens all the time. The only problem is that they take down other smaller businesses with them and this is where the jobs go.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 8:47 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricket1
But out of that 2 million figure, 1.7 million were already unemployed and have been for a long time. These are the jobless who tend to be quite happy not working. In fact, recently the government have brought in new rules that say the long term unemployed are now going to have to work for their dole money.

Myself, and friends I know at home are confused by the doom and gloom as presented in the media because although jobs are going in some industries others are being created and most of the business people I know have never been busier.
Don't forget, some companies who were in massive debt will see this crisis as a way out. They will sack everyone, go insolvent and start up again under another name. It will look bad in the number crunching and the media will highlight it as bad news but it will be happening as a an easy way to write off debt. Happens all the time. The only problem is that they take down other smaller businesses with them and this is where the jobs go.
How can the long term unemployed work when there are no jobs There`s not too many Siberian salt mines in the UK either.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

GagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
How can the long term unemployed work when there are no jobs There`s not too many Siberian salt mines in the UK either.
The salt mines are in Cheshire & have been very busy in the last few weeks so Mum tells me.

Love your new description & location Jules!!! Trying to send you a smiley thumbs up but failed.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 9:13 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GagainPEI
The salt mines are in Cheshire & have been very busy in the last few weeks so Mum tells me.

Love your new description & location Jules!!! Trying to send you a smiley thumbs up but failed.
Why I thank you! Its most kind of you By the way its all for Grayling`s benefit, as he sees me as some kind of subversive agitator.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 9:28 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Well that will be the next political assault. The unemployed will be taking jobs from the redundant. Heard it all before.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

GagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to all

"By the way its all for Grayling`s benefit, as he sees me as some kind of subversive agitator."

I'd gathered that whilst the rest of us know you as a charming, courteous & well traveled Spanish gentleman who speaks & writes perfectly grammatic English.

Seriously though, back on thread Cricket, my daughter's close friend was telling her the other day that the Trafford Centre (hideous, temple like shopping centre near Manchester) was heaving, as usual, a week or so ago. Although, in fairness, it could be that it was full of bargains.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 10:03 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by GagainPEI
"By the way its all for Grayling`s benefit, as he sees me as some kind of subversive agitator."

I'd gathered that whilst the rest of us know you as a charming, courteous & well traveled Spanish gentleman who speaks & writes perfectly grammatic English.

Seriously though, back on thread Cricket, my daughter's close friend was telling her the other day that the Trafford Centre (hideous, temple like shopping centre near Manchester) was heaving, as usual, a week or so ago. Although, in fairness, it could be that it was full of bargains.
Me a charming, well travelled gentleman with perfect English you are so kind and thoughtful, I can`t remember the last time somebody said such nice things:embaressed_smile: Courteous though!!! mmmmmmmmmm guess you haven`t read a lot of my past threads

The crisis though is equally bad here but on any given Saturday, one can go to a shopping centre and see it heaving with people as well
Old Feb 21st 2009, 10:30 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

In a weird sort of way it reminds of when Diana died. If you watched the telly on the day of her funeral they told you that the whole country was in mourning - in fact I had family in NZ who heard that too. If you went out and got on with life you found people painting their fences, going for a walk, enjoying a day in the park and generally getting on with life. It was quite a nice day actually.

In other words, some are losing their jobs, but life goes on for many others. If you judged it by what you saw on your TV screens you would think the nation had collapsed. Go down to your local shopping centre and it all looks the same to me. Some families have more cash in their pockets due to a drop in interest rates. Will they spend that money? Not if they listen to the media.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Grammatical
Old Feb 21st 2009, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
Grammatical
Thank you dear. I'd not noticed.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 11:03 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
Grammatical
It`s better than many on here. Are you an English teacher by any chance?
Old Feb 21st 2009, 11:13 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Why I thank you! Its most kind of you By the way its all for Grayling`s benefit, as he sees me as some kind of subversive agitator.

No.....just a stirrer who pretends to be an expert about several countries and places he has never lived in

.....and I am not alone in that.....why do you not post on the canada forum any more?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.