What are the steps?

Old Apr 15th 2016, 9:17 pm
Just Joined

Suzi Jones is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What are the steps?

I was born and brought up in UK and all of my family are still there. I have been living in Canada for 30 years but I am considering moving back to UK.
Where do I start in re-establishing my British status? Can I simply just move back and look for work etc? How do I reactivate my national insurance number, health card etc. Would I be eligible for benefits while I'm looking for work etc?
I haven't renewed my British Passport in years, I suppose that is a good place to start.
Any tips or advice would be welcome.
Thank you!

Last edited by Suzi Jones; Apr 15th 2016 at 9:21 pm.
Old Apr 15th 2016, 9:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are the steps?

Originally Posted by Suzi Jones
I was born and brought up in UK and all of my family are still there. I have been living in Canada for 30 years but I am considering moving back to UK.
Where do I start in re-establishing my British status? Can I simply just move back and look for work etc? ....
Yes.
.... How do I reactivate my national insurance number ....
It was never deactivated.
.... Would I be eligible for benefits while I'm looking for work etc? ....
You have no benefit eligibility for the first three months.
.... I haven't renewed my British Passport in years, I suppose that is a good place to start.
Yes. .... You have to do it on-line - ALL British passports are now issued in the UK. You can pay with a debit or credit card, but will need to mail passport photos. Start here, the web site walks you through step by step. Because you haven't had a passport in such a long time it will be processed as a first-time passport application, so will take a couple of weeks longer - allow 6-8 weeks.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 15th 2016 at 10:03 pm.
Old Apr 15th 2016, 10:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
YesIt was never deactivated. You have no benefit eligibility for the first three months.
Yes. .... You have to do it on-line - ALL British passports are now issued in the UK. You can pay with a debit or credit card, but will need to mail passport photos. Start here. Because you haven't had a passport in such a long time it will be processed as a first-time passport application, so will take a couple of weeks longer - allow 6-8 weeks.
Thank you for your quick reply! Very helpful 😊
Old Apr 16th 2016, 12:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Yes.You have no benefit eligibility for the first three months.
Y
You may not be eligible for any benefits dependent on your circumstances. Singles, without any family commitments, are usually at the bottom of the list when it comes to benefits - especially if they have any assets.

You would need to be assessed at the relevant agency.
Old Apr 16th 2016, 1:12 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
You may not be eligible for any benefits dependent on your circumstances. Singles, without any family commitments, are usually at the bottom of the list ....
A fair point, but it's a minimum three months in any event.
Old Apr 16th 2016, 10:46 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

If you are still out of work after 3 months, you will be entitled to Job Seekers Allowance, and other benefits, depending on your circumstances.

There is a benefits calculator here.

You will be entitled to NHS care from the moment you arrive. Don't worry about not having your NHS number. The doctor's practice that you register with will be able to trace it for you.

Last edited by Editha; Apr 16th 2016 at 10:49 am.
Old Apr 16th 2016, 11:22 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Amending my last post: The benefit system is changing, and the new scheme is called Universal Credit. Depending on when you claim, and where you settle (since the new scheme is being trialled in some parts of the country) you may be assessed for Universal Credit, rather than JSA etc. You'll get more information from the benefit calculator I linked to.
Old Apr 16th 2016, 5:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Editha
Amending my last post: The benefit system is changing, and the new scheme is called Universal Credit. Depending on when you claim, and where you settle (since the new scheme is being trialled in some parts of the country) you may be assessed for Universal Credit, rather than JSA etc. You'll get more information from the benefit calculator I linked to.
Thank you!
Old Apr 16th 2016, 5:18 pm
Just Joined

If you are still out of work after 3 months, you will be entitled to Job Seekers Allowance, and other benefits, depending on your circumstances.

There is a benefits calculator here.

You will be entitled to NHS care from the moment you arrive. Don't worry about not having your NHS number. The doctor's practice that you register with will be able to trace it for you.
Thank you!
Old Apr 21st 2016, 4:45 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE!

Could I just add to the excellent advice you have already been given? If you don't already have Canadian Citizenship I would strongly advise applying, that way you can keep your options open should you decide at some point that you wished to return.

Best of luck with your move!

PS we also have a Canada forum if you have any questions about what you might need to do if you decide to leave - do feel free to pop by! Canada - British Expats
Old Apr 21st 2016, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

A fair point, but it's a minimum three months in any event.
Plus some are a two years wait.

The income based benefits for working age claimants have a cut off of 16k in savings, capital, including equity in property that you don't live in and any land.

Last edited by formula; Apr 21st 2016 at 2:49 pm.
Old Apr 21st 2016, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Amending my last post: The benefit system is changing, and the new scheme is called Universal Credit.
UC seems to have got to the point where nearly all claimants without children are on that and some with children are already on it.

Job seeking claimants are better off on UC as there is no cliff edge drop in benefits as there is with JSA when they find work. UC is a monthy payment.

It's not a lot of money but at least JSA and the jobseeking part of UC, is the only benefit ringfenced from the welfare cuts. UK State Pension is the other one that is ringfenced, if you can call that a welfare payment now that it is based on contributions.

Last edited by formula; Apr 21st 2016 at 3:15 pm.
Old Apr 24th 2016, 5:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Welcome to BE!

Could I just add to the excellent advice you have already been given? If you don't already have Canadian Citizenship I would strongly advise applying, that way you can keep your options open should you decide at some point that you wished to return.

Best of luck with your move!

PS we also have a Canada forum if you have any questions about what you might need to do if you decide to leave - do feel free to pop by! Canada - British Expats
Thank you! I do have Canadian citizenship already. I didn't know about the Canada forum, I will check it out 😊
Old Apr 24th 2016, 5:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by formula
UC seems to have got to the point where nearly all claimants without children are on that and some with children are already on it.

Job seeking claimants are better off on UC as there is no cliff edge drop in benefits as there is with JSA when they find work. UC is a monthy payment.

It's not a lot of money but at least JSA and the jobseeking part of UC, is the only benefit ringfenced from the welfare cuts. UK State Pension is the other one that is ringfenced, if you can call that a welfare payment now that it is based on contributions.
Thanks!