Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What is it with some people in the UK?

Wikiposts

What is it with some people in the UK?

Old Apr 1st 2009, 3:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is it with some people in the UK?

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
I have seen some American "chat" shows on our TV here in the land of the people you're enquiring about...the land dismissively and summarily described in the official US State Department briefing document accompanying some geezer called Barack Obama and his mega huge entourage armed up to the hilt and more some on their current visit to London for the G20 Conference....."a group of islands close to Continental Europe which is slightly smaller than Oregon, not far from America's oldest ally - France - a country instrumental in securing America's independence from this group of islands, and not too far either from Germany, a very reliable ally at the time of the 9/11 attacks" and in this booklet the Americans are advised of the people Mr Obama will meet in London, such as the Queen who as a girl of 11 "was a girl guide and later became a Sea Ranger, and along with her sister Princess Margaret she put on pantomimes with children of members of staff at Windsor Castle". The sum total of the Queen's achievements according to this official document from the US officials. The attitude appears to be completely in line with Obama's personal opinion of the United Kingdom irrespective of his outwardly "benign" conduct during his current stay over here.

Those American TV chat shows on the UK's subsidiary digital channels clearly demonstrate that Britain is far, far from being alone in producing the kind of people referred to by the OP. In fact, I don't think we come anywhere close to the Americans for the existence of completely bizarre wankers and nutjobs.

What's your point?
Attached Images   
Old Apr 1st 2009, 3:30 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
What's your point?
Pointless tripe.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 3:38 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
I'm not sure why you chose that second story to try to illustrate a point - it seems perfectly reasonable to me that the pub should not have acted that way. I can understand it if she'd obviously been drinking a lot, but the way they handled this was out of order and was obviously discrimination.
Other patrons don't want to watch some pregnant woman swilling suds while they are out on the town. It's not discrimination, it's appropriate. Do you think she should be allowed to breast feed with one hand, and chug a pint of Guinness with the other?

America has its share of wankers as does every country, but the idiots here don't put themselves into the print media, and the print media doesn't seek them out.

Jerry Springer has a whole group of freaks on TV, but once someone puts ink on paper, it just seems different.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 3:45 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crg14624
Other patrons don't want to watch some pregnant woman swilling suds while they are out on the town. It's not discrimination, it's appropriate. Do you think she should be allowed to breast feed with one hand, and chug a pint of Guinness with the other?

America has its share of wankers as does every country, but the idiots here don't put themselves into the print media, and the print media doesn't seek them out.

Jerry Springer has a whole group of freaks on TV, but once someone puts ink on paper, it just seems different.

How bizarre. Because American retards show their collective asses on TV they're somehow less offensive than the British trash that goes to the print media? What sort of mental gymnastics delivered you to that point of view?
Old Apr 1st 2009, 3:52 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
How bizarre. Because American retards show their collective asses on TV they're somehow less offensive than the British trash that goes to the print media? What sort of mental gymnastics delivered you to that point of view?
I just hope that post 54,125 is as poignant, informative and as well put as the your other 54,124 posts.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 3:53 am

robskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond repute

The more I see of the UK news recently the less proud I feel to be British
Old Apr 1st 2009, 3:59 am
WTF?

I just hope that post 54,125 is as poignant, informative and as well put as the your other 54,124 posts.
You've slayed me with your rapier wit. Shoo now, it's off to the photo gallery with you.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 4:00 am
WTF?

Originally Posted by robskatie
The more I see of the UK news recently the less proud I feel to be British
Don't make sad face.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 4:22 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
He is no more British by birth than the man in the moon.
He was born in Britain. In a colloquial sense, he is British (and German!) by birth. I'd have to ask JAJ to check the 1943 law on nationality to see if being born in the UK to foreign parents conferred citizenship on JS. (jus soli)
Old Apr 1st 2009, 4:23 am
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Who's forcing you to watch exactly, and what does it have to do with you anyway? Personally, I've seen plenty of unpleasant stuff I'd rather have not seen in pubs but this wouldn't be on that list. On the breast feeding thing - what's the big deal. This would absolutely not be a problem - it would take at least half an hour for the alcohol to affect the breast milk so what the mother was doing in this case might demonstrate responsible parenting. Opinion is very divided on drinking in pregnancy, mainly because it is all down to defining what is "too much" therefore advice is usually to avoid it, but it is a personal choice (i.e. there is no law against it).
Old Apr 1st 2009, 4:27 am
WTF?

Who's forcing you to watch exactly, and what does it have to do with you anyway? Personally, I've seen plenty of unpleasant stuff I'd rather have not seen in pubs but this wouldn't be on that list. On the breast feeding thing - what's the big deal. This would absolutely not be a problem - it would take at least half an hour for the alcohol to affect the breast milk so what the mother was doing in this case might demonstrate responsible parenting. Opinion is very divided on drinking in pregnancy, mainly because it is all down to defining what is "too much" therefore advice is usually to avoid it, but it is a personal choice (i.e. there is no law against it).
Most pregnant women aren't breastfeeding yet. It's a matter of logistics.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 4:29 am
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Most pregnant women aren't breastfeeding yet. It's a matter of logistics.
Depends if they already have a young kid doesn't it?
Old Apr 1st 2009, 4:32 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

...or have had a kid and still have a kinky partner.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 4:34 am
Not here much

Originally Posted by snowbunny
...or have had a kid and still have a kinky partner.
Kinky or mentally disturbed?
Old Apr 1st 2009, 4:39 am
WTF?

Yes but that would be the only instance wouldn't it? Linking pregnant drinking to breastfeeding (and I realize you are not the one that brought it up) in a pub for the sake of this discussion really made no sense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.