For what reasons?!

Old Jan 23rd 2007, 7:30 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: For what reasons?!

Originally Posted by Wendy
Wow.

They do periodic checks here, there's signs all over the place saying 'police are checking for roadworthy cars in this area' or 'police are checking for drink drivers in this area' etc

Although putting signs up sort of defeats the object of it
Thats Perth for you...behind the times as usual
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

Mark044 is just really niceMark044 is just really niceMark044 is just really niceMark044 is just really niceMark044 is just really niceMark044 is just really niceMark044 is just really niceMark044 is just really nice

Originally Posted by psb182
Your 4 posts on this thread don't mention yours or your wifes extended family and friends,do you have any?
If not then the world is your oyster but if you do and you love them then you just may have a hard time.
EVERY human being on the face of the earth are searching for the same thing "happiness" now if lifestyle,beaches,money and BBQ's make you happy then go for it.
But if your extended family and friends make you happy then you may want to re-consider.
Not putting you off here just stating facts.I myself was in search of weather and lifestyle,I got it at the cost of family and friends
Well my bro and his partner moved to Perth last year, and my mum and dad live in France, so I get on without my direct family!
MY wife's parents live 30mins away, so does her brother and kids. Her parents look after our 2 yr old twice a week, and are very close to her and my wife. That side would be a bit of a wrench, but my wife did suggest the move! W only have a small circle of friends (partly due to us both working from home) so would look to move to get a new start etc etc.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 8:04 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
they don't even have one of those in WA. Any deathtrap can be on the roads.
Similar in Qld - you need a roadworthy certificate to sell a car, but otherwise you can drive a collapsing dangerous heap.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 9:47 am
Just Joined

davo453 is just really nicedavo453 is just really nicedavo453 is just really nicedavo453 is just really nicedavo453 is just really nicedavo453 is just really nicedavo453 is just really nicedavo453 is just really nicedavo453 is just really nice

You don’t need a roadworthiness certificate to sell a vehicle in WA and no there is no annual check. But there really aren’t that many apparent “bombs” on the road in fact if you drive anything that looks a bit tatty you are asking to be and most likely will be stopped. Mind you the brakes can be crap on a 2 year old car too as they were on a 3 year old BMW 5 series I once purchased from a dealer.

They work the yellow sticker system here, if you are stopped and you get one you must take the car over the pits. If the copper puts the sticker on the screen at an angle then it’s a hidden message to the tester to “give this guy a tough time” this I was told by a guy that worked for me and was by his own admission a hoon.

Apparently if you get a “yellow” and it’s crooked you go and buy a nice hot cup of coffee and steam it straight.

Dave
Old Jan 24th 2007, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

blowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Similar in Qld - you need a roadworthy certificate to sell a car, but otherwise you can drive a collapsing dangerous heap.
They are always going on about the deaths on the road.They have police that sit in places where it is difficult to see them or their signs. This is to clock the speeders,but surley it would make sense not to have an old banger on the road.There is an awful lot of them here.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 10:09 pm
Account Closed

Funky Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all.

I have really enjoyed reading this thread. I should soon get a PR visa (maybe, hopefully?) and in the last few months have doubted the move. I know it is an up and down experience but for the last few months I have leaned towards the not going mode more than the going mode. I don't however want to think what if? when I am older.

Just briefly I am 35 with a wife and 2 boys aged 4 and 6. We went to Perth last year for 3 weeks and was not instantly smitten with it although we did like it. My stepbrother lives there (20 years) although he is nomadic and likely to meet someone and go elsewhere within Australia that is just his nature.

We are very close to a few members of the family here in the U.K and have a lot of great friends and a great social life. I see my Mum once in a blue moon although love her dearly and my Dad loves Australia and is there a lot anyway,
wife very close to her Mum and Dad died years ago.

My question is should we go to Perth for 6 weeks or so to validate then at least we have the 5 year option if things change as they often do. In 6 weeks I could get a better feel for it maybe, I know it is not the same but I really am not sure now.

Anyone else done this - thanks .

Last edited by Funky Monkey; Jan 24th 2007 at 10:10 pm. Reason: Spelling
Old Jan 24th 2007, 10:14 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Funky Monkey
Hi all.

I have really enjoyed reading this thread. I should soon get a PR visa (maybe, hopefully?) and in the last few months have doubted the move. I know it is an up and down experience but for the last few months I have leaned towards the not going mode more than the going mode. I don't however want to think what if? when I am older.

Just briefly I am 35 with a wife and 2 boys aged 4 and 6. We went to Perth last year for 3 weeks and was not instantly smitten with it although we did like it. My stepbrother lives there (20 years) although he is nomadic and likely to meet someone and go elsewhere within Australia that is just his nature.

We are very close to a few members of the family here in the U.K and have a lot of great friends and a great social life. I see my Mum once in a blue moon although love her dearly and my Dad loves Australia and is there a lot anyway,

My question is should we go to Perth for 6 weeks or so to validate then at least we have the 5 year option if things change as they often do. In 6 weeks I could get a better feel for it maybe, I know it is not the same but I really am not sure now.

you can take all the holidays you want but it is not the same. Nothing will prepare you for that moment when you realise that this is it and its going to be some time before you see your family again, you have no friends and that you are earning dollars not pounds. Personally if you have a few misgivings you wouldn't be normal but why not take the plunge straight away. If it makes you feel better don't sell your house in UK and rent when you get to Perth at least then you have something to return to if it goes pear shaped. You will see a common theme through these boards and most who are unhappy regret selling property in England.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 10:24 pm
Account Closed

Cheers NB.
Thanks for the advice it has helped, like you say any holidays / short trips are never going to prepare you.
The plan was to rent the house out which was my wifes idea and I came round to that. I suppose it is down to me at the end of the day, no-one can give the answers. The whole thing is such a headf****.

Cheers and take care .
Old Jan 24th 2007, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Surrey to Perth and back to Surrey & Back again, Why why why
sandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to behold

Hi all.

I think the best advice any one can give you is do not sell your property in the UK untill you are 100% sure Australia is where you want to be, so many people have regretted doing it and are now finding it hard to get back.

I came here a year ago, (I still have my house in the UK) and have decided that it is really not for us I have 2 small children and I miss my family so much, we are hopefully moving back, although he does not want to go back to the same area, and I do, so we are moving somewhere else.
So yes give it a go, you might really love it, but if you don't then you can look at it as one big adventure and you have lost nothing.

Good luck whit what ever you decide.

Sandra

Last edited by sandrainaus; Jan 24th 2007 at 11:36 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 11:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

blowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of light

Hi all.

Do try to hold on to your house if you can. To be honest did the holiday thing but your never really prepared. I regret selling and would have left in the first 2 months.People say alot that they don't want to get old with what if,sorry but that can happen either way,it as for us.If you really feel unsure then either do the 6 week holiday thing or come over but don't sell straight away.
I wish you well and hope things work out well for you.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 11:40 pm
Living the nightmare

Dizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to all

Cheers NB.
Thanks for the advice it has helped, like you say any holidays / short trips are never going to prepare you.
The plan was to rent the house out which was my wifes idea and I came round to that. I suppose it is down to me at the end of the day, no-one can give the answers. The whole thing is such a headf****.

Cheers and take care .
I'd stay put, go to Europe and explore
Old Jan 25th 2007, 6:26 pm
Account Closed

Hi.

Thanks to everyone for all the replies and honest advice .