For what reasons?!

Old Jan 21st 2007, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

Mark044 is just really niceMark044 is just really niceMark044 is just really niceMark044 is just really niceMark044 is just really niceMark044 is just really niceMark044 is just really niceMark044 is just really nice
Default For what reasons?!

OK, am risking having my head bitten off here, but am looking for the answers to why?!!
We are at the early stage of consdering the move to Oz, so are open to all options!!
We have visited bro in Cottesloe Perth, and liked it. Possibly looking at Pert/brisbane/Melbourne.
Can I ask why people move(d) back to the UK from these areas??
I can understand the "family and friends" answer as that is a personal one, but this wouldnt effect me as Parents live in France, brother is in Perth, and I only have a small circle of friends (loner!!). May be a bit harder for the other half and our 2 yr old, as they are close to her parents, but she instigated it!
Main reason being her job is the main mortgage paying one, if she got made redundant (which has been close to) we could be shafted, if we want to extend(which may need to if another comes along) we will have to re-mortgage...seems a long paying off saga. We also feel the way of life, being outside, will be better long run for the little 'uns. We are both pretty outdoor people too.
So......who wants to be first...and be gentle!!!
Old Jan 21st 2007, 6:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For what reasons?!

Originally Posted by Mark044
OK, am risking having my head bitten off here, but am looking for the answers to why?!!
We are at the early stage of consdering the move to Oz, so are open to all options!!
We have visited bro in Cottesloe Perth, and liked it. Possibly looking at Pert/brisbane/Melbourne.
I can understand the "family and friends" answer as that is a personal one, but this wouldnt effect me as Parents live in France, brother is in Perth, and I only have a small circle of friends (loner!!). May be a bit harder for the other half and our 2 yr old, as they are close to her parents, but she instigated it!
Main reason being her job is the main mortgage paying one, if she got made redundant (which has been close to) we could be shafted, if we want to extend(which may need to if another comes along) we will have to re-mortgage...seems a long paying off saga. We also feel the way of life, being outside, will be better long run for the little 'uns. We are both pretty outdoor people too.
Well why do you want to leave UK? Some people think things are better/easier in another country. Or they realise that it's same doo doo in a different bucket when they get there, but only no longer have family around to support them!
Everyone will have their own reasons! I want to move to Aus as I love how different it is to the UK, I have loads of family there and also have loads of family who are going to be living there over the next 5 years. Have no home of my own in the UK (can't get onto property ladder) so not got much to lose!
Stop or return I'll enjoy my time there, don't have unrealistic expectations, not going for the weather (as must be boring being sunny all the time!), just want to eventually to buy a home, go to work and enjoy my free time!
Old Jan 21st 2007, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

Mark044 is just really niceMark044 is just really niceMark044 is just really niceMark044 is just really niceMark044 is just really niceMark044 is just really niceMark044 is just really niceMark044 is just really nice

main reason is coz we've become disillusioned with the UK/mortgage and lifestyle!!!
We can go out to Oz with zero or small mortgage and at 33 that would be great. We wouldnt be living to work to pay the mortgage. Appreciate salaries would be smaller but if no mortgage then hey. Plus if we stay there is a chance we could be shafted with our current mortgage and job roles.
Just feel here we're in a stay inside/tv culture which doesnt help with the breed of teenagers around, and with Oz being an 'outisde' place many of the teenagers we saw in Oz had things to do, and appeared to be a "better breed", plus everyones attitude is better when the weather is better.
Old Jan 21st 2007, 7:46 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Too many variables to give an answer. I'm not sure that most of us who want to go home are even sure why we want to ourselves, we just do.

Even going from a small circle of friends to no circle of friends is an issue for many and many would claim that Australians are difficult to befriend. Not something I have founds to be the case personally.

Lose your job anywhere and its a problem.

No one can say how you will react to Australia.. we have had all possible options covered here... Love it from day one, hate it from day one. Hate it from the outset but learn to live with it, and love it from the beginning and grow to hate it.

The only thing that seems to be common is that the more established you are in the UK, good home, good job, nice area etc. the more difficult people find it to adjust to Australia.
Old Jan 21st 2007, 7:53 pm
Account Closed

plus everyones attitude is better when the weather is better.
'Better' weather hmmm.... It touched 40c here yesterday. I didn't hear to many people commenting on what a beautiful sunny day it was. !
Old Jan 21st 2007, 8:08 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Just feel here we're in a stay inside/tv culture which doesnt help with the breed of teenagers around, and with Oz being an 'outisde' place many of the teenagers we saw in Oz had things to do, and appeared to be a "better breed", plus everyones attitude is better when the weather is better.
Old Jan 21st 2007, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

ha ha!! ok, point taken on the weather!

I suppose it is just a personal thing really, you get on or you dont, so maybe trying to find answers here isnt going to work!!
Would still be interested on hearing from people about the suburb they lived in that returned from;
Melbourne
Perth
Brisbane

Cheers!
Old Jan 21st 2007, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

blowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of light

For me it is the quality of life that I really don't get here compared to the UK
The heat where I live is unbearable and it really is getting me down. I spend more time indoors here and choices here can be limiting.

House prices in Perth are the highest in Australia with the average mortgage being $3.000 a month.(this was on channel 10 financial news this morning) interest rates are higher here than the UK at the moment, but then depending on what you do you may earn more.Many posters on here find themselves earning less and the cost of living is indeed higher.

how ever I think oz can be very good for children social standards seem to be higher but I am sure I will be corrected on this one,because like anywhere it depend where you live and your personal experiences.

I don't think I would choose Perth but it depends on your line of work. I am in Qld can't stand where I live but Brisbane could be better, I have been and anything could be better than central QLD.

Moving countries seems to be hardest on the women and I have found this but who knows again it will depend on many factors. Please be careful though
selling your home and then getting on tho the property ladder here to find it is not all that can emotionally and financially more than just hard.

I wish I had kept my house in the UK for at least a year and I knew after a short time I wanted out. We bought a new home to settle,big mistake for us because now I want more than out and were I could have left before,I won't be going anywhere for a while.

I do hope that whatever you decide that it works out well.

Last edited by blowfly; Jan 21st 2007 at 8:23 pm. Reason: to early in the morning ,
Old Jan 21st 2007, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

blowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Too many variables to give an answer. I'm not sure that most of us who want to go home are even sure why we want to ourselves, we just do.

Even going from a small circle of friends to no circle of friends is an issue for many and many would claim that Australians are difficult to befriend. Not something I have founds to be the case personally.

Lose your job anywhere and its a problem.

No one can say how you will react to Australia.. we have had all possible options covered here... Love it from day one, hate it from day one. Hate it from the outset but learn to live with it, and love it from the beginning and grow to hate it.

The only thing that seems to be common is that the more established you are in the UK, good home, good job, nice area etc. the more difficult people find it to adjust to Australia.
Well established in the UK and happy just want a change seems to spell disaster for many people.
Old Jan 21st 2007, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks a lot! What suburb of QLD you in? What makes it so bad there? How long have you lived thre and did you investigaet the area much before buying?
Yeah agree Perth is expensive. When we stayed at my bro's he showed us properties that looked ok, but cost fortunes! His next door neighbour was a 1 bed apt, and was going for $700,000!!!

yeah agree once the move happens would be hard to get back in the UK property ladder.
Old Jan 21st 2007, 8:33 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by blowfly
Well established in the UK and happy just want a change seems to spell disaster for many people.
Me included.... what the Hell was I thinking.:curse:
Old Jan 21st 2007, 8:48 pm

MrsB is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by blowfly

Yep - that was us!

Although it hasn't been a disaster - you only realise what you had when you no longer have it!

But it has all been a good experience!
Old Jan 21st 2007, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks a lot! What suburb of QLD you in? What makes it so bad there? How long have you lived thre and did you investigaet the area much before buying?
Yeah agree Perth is expensive. When we stayed at my bro's he showed us properties that looked ok, but cost fortunes! His next door neighbour was a 1 bed apt, and was going for $700,000!!!

yeah agree once the move happens would be hard to get back in the UK property ladder.
I started out in Mackay not one of the friendliest places in the world but I guess there is worse. shopping was good but allover the place, cooler because it is on the coast, a really nice harbour could be good if your that way inclined.Not as many private schools to choose from but there are some. Mackay is the main place in central QLD for the coal mining industry it pushed prices up and getting to rent there 16 months ago was difficult.

We moved down to Rockhampton, much hotter and very working class town and it shows. However people are friendlier but it is stinking hot.There is no public transport to speak of and the bus drivers must be the rudest I have ever encountered. I don't use then now but my son has a casual job no buses early, none after 5.30pm if you can believe it and on Saturday the last bus to the shopping mall is 12pm if it comes and guess what there are no buses to get back!We spend all of out time running around a young man that was very independent where we lived .He can not wait to leave unfortunately it seems that I have stuffed things up well and truly for him because he left the UK and for only a short time he can't do uni there now without paying overseas fees.which means he will have to do it here.

Where I live it is suppose to be a city Plenty of private and state schools,aborginals (that's another story).Choice for shopping is poor and food here is more expensive than UK. I can cope with that but fresh fruit and veg prices are really expensive.People are huge here and not surprisingly fast food is really much cheaper than UK and if you can't get fruit and veg and reasonable prices.I too have put on weight not from fast food from not moving myself enough because of the heat.

We had visitors here from the UK and one thing that had struck them was there was no one out on the street.

my husband works in the mine and yes he earns a 6 figure sum and we need it. I have no idea how other people manage but then we spend near on $700 a month in petrol.

Heat , lack of character I can't quite put my finger on it,has now little stupid things are getting to me,when they are just everyday things.

I don't like being jumped on by sales assistants who won't leave you alone and other shop assistants wanting to look in your bag in case you have stolen something.Those things drive me mad, shopping used to be fun ,I usually get fed up before I have started.

I think people in the Uk get a too glossy picture of oz and the nitty gritty of life needs to be taken into consideration too. Just because something looks good doesn't always mean that it is.

Last edited by blowfly; Jan 21st 2007 at 9:20 pm. Reason: spelling and other
Old Jan 21st 2007, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mrs Best
Yep - that was us!

Although it hasn't been a disaster - you only realise what you had when you no longer have it!

But it has all been a good experience!
If we hadn't have got this house I would be gone by now.
Old Jan 21st 2007, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Me included.... what the Hell was I thinking.:curse:
I know I try not to think about it, but sometime when I am really fed up it can really get to me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.