Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What part of England for IT jobs.

What part of England for IT jobs.

Old Jan 25th 2005, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of
Default What part of England for IT jobs.

Hubby, me and 2 kids (7+10) wondering what part of England would be good for schools, nice to live, choice of IT jobs and house prices not to far over average.

I know almost impossible, but a girl can try..
Old Jan 25th 2005, 2:44 pm
ags
Forum Regular

ags is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What part of England for IT jobs.

Originally Posted by eurotramp
Hubby, me and 2 kids (7+10) wondering what part of England would be good for schools, nice to live, choice of IT jobs and house prices not to far over average.

I know almost impossible, but a girl can try..
Don't want much hey!! Can't blame you for trying!
As always London will give you the jobs and money, but housing there is all but unaffordable, so usually it is a trade off.
I live close to London, 25 minute commute by train, houses are affordable, but not such a great area. I am selling up and leaving the UK, so my house will be on the market for approx £170000 just to give you an idea. Small 3 bed terraced about 15/20 yrs old, no garage but off road parking.
I would start with the schools as this is a major issue here now. Primary schools are not usually too bad, but senior schools, good ones are always in great demand.
The lengths people will go to get their kids into a good school, I would probably be the same if we weren't leaving.
It always seems to be a trade off now, can't have it all I am afraid, but good luck, hope you find somewhere to suit.
Old Jan 25th 2005, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ags
Don't want much hey!! Can't blame you for trying!
As always London will give you the jobs and money, but housing there is all but unaffordable, so usually it is a trade off.
I live close to London, 25 minute commute by train, houses are affordable, but not such a great area. I am selling up and leaving the UK, so my house will be on the market for approx £170000 just to give you an idea. Small 3 bed terraced about 15/20 yrs old, no garage but off road parking.
I would start with the schools as this is a major issue here now. Primary schools are not usually too bad, but senior schools, good ones are always in great demand.
The lengths people will go to get their kids into a good school, I would probably be the same if we weren't leaving.
It always seems to be a trade off now, can't have it all I am afraid, but good luck, hope you find somewhere to suit.

O dear,

specially the school would be important, because my kids went all their school live to international schools and I would not be happy if that standard would come down.

I'm afraid that a small 3 bed terraced would not do(because I know how small the bedrooms are).

Are there not other parts of England in demand of good IT people??
Old Jan 25th 2005, 3:16 pm
ags
Forum Regular

Sure Euro, didn't mean to scare you! IT jobs are all over, just pay better in London.
Where are you coming from, just to get an idea of the standards you would expect?
I have found it is always a compromise in the UK unless money is no object.
Private schools are usually outwith the man in the street.
Rural areas have a much better quality of life, but jobs are harder to come by and salaries are lower.
Old Jan 25th 2005, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ags
Sure Euro, didn't mean to scare you! IT jobs are all over, just pay better in London.
Where are you coming from, just to get an idea of the standards you would expect?
I have found it is always a compromise in the UK unless money is no object.
Private schools are usually outwith the man in the street.
Rural areas have a much better quality of life, but jobs are harder to come by and salaries are lower.

Hi Ags,

I'm German and hubby is British and we lived so far in Germany, 1 year in Dorset, 5 years in the Netherlands and by now 2 years in Belgium.....as you can see standards on the down...especially when you live on the French part of Belgium
Old Jan 25th 2005, 6:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Edinburgh and Scotland on the eastern area has a few IT places, Napier and all that shite

Wales too...Cardiff at least has lots of IT...and relative cheap housing compared o London.
Loads of IT jobs in Oxford and surrounding counties...lots of good schools, but again, housing, bloomin' expensive, average house in Oxford £175K for a 3 bed semi I guess....
Old Jan 25th 2005, 6:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bob
Edinburgh and Scotland on the eastern area has a few IT places, Napier and all that shite

Wales too...Cardiff at least has lots of IT...and relative cheap housing compared o London.
Loads of IT jobs in Oxford and surrounding counties...lots of good schools, but again, housing, bloomin' expensive, average house in Oxford £175K for a 3 bed semi I guess....
Are you sure about the house prices? I thought that we have to fork at least 200-250K out......especially in parts like oxford.
We have all the time in the world to wait and to see if the house prices are going down. But I'm already looking into different areas....and Scotland was not on my list..planning more for the south.

Thanks
Old Jan 25th 2005, 8:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eurotramp
Are you sure about the house prices? I thought that we have to fork at least 200-250K out......especially in parts like oxford.
We have all the time in the world to wait and to see if the house prices are going down. But I'm already looking into different areas....and Scotland was not on my list..planning more for the south.
Well if you want a decent sized house with parking and a garden in a nice part of the city, yeah, £200k +, but I was just saying you could get alright in the outskirts of the city, especially like in Kidlington, Witney, near by towns, where house prices are a lot cheaper, houses are still really nice with good schools....
Old Jan 25th 2005, 8:21 pm
ags
Forum Regular

Hi again Euro,
We originally were in Scotland for a couple of years, but even being from Scotland didn't help us settle there!
Why don't you give www.upmystreet.com a go and see how you feel about things, or www.rightmove.co.uk to give you an accurate price for houses.
Hold onto your hat, quite surprising I'll guarantee!
Old Jan 28th 2005, 9:19 pm
Gremlin

My understanding is that Swindon is not bad for IT jobs, and property prices are more reasonable than other parts of the country. London is just a quick commute as well.

Old Jan 28th 2005, 9:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Gremlin
My understanding is that Swindon is not bad for IT jobs, and property prices are more reasonable than other parts of the country. London is just a quick commute as well.
That's because swindon is a shit hole....and house prices are rising there too, mostly because of the massive amount of jobs Honda as brought to the area, but most of the top engineering jobs have had engineers brought over from Japan too...not that much IT, big call centre just shut down out there...
Old Jan 29th 2005, 2:23 am
BE Enthusiast

ukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bob
That's because swindon is a shit hole....and house prices are rising there too, mostly because of the massive amount of jobs Honda as brought to the area, but most of the top engineering jobs have had engineers brought over from Japan too...not that much IT, big call centre just shut down out there...
Try Telford in the Midlands - EDS, Cap Gemini & Fujitsu are all there.
Old Jan 29th 2005, 3:21 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by ukkiwi
Try Telford in the Midlands - EDS, Cap Gemini & Fujitsu are all there.
And another shit hole, not that I'm referring to the midlands...but after swindon....slough...there's sony, bt/o2, mitsubishi electronics whatever, and loads of others too...wouldn't want to live there though...
Old Jan 29th 2005, 6:19 am
Gremlin

Originally Posted by Bob
That's because swindon is a shit hole.......
Oh dear, that's where my older brother lives - never visited myself.

Old Jan 29th 2005, 2:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Gremlin
Oh dear, that's where my older brother lives - never visited myself.
feel sorry for him already
Though there are nice places outside of swindon, between there and Oxford, that aren't bad...quite a few IT jobs in Oxford too...well if your a programmer, there's MathEngine -They did the Unreal physics engine, there's a tiny UBI soft office, or there was, there's rebellion, empire, and then out the city centre, there's loads of other places, good medical research companies to that need programmers...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.