Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What part of England for IT jobs.

What part of England for IT jobs.

Old Jan 29th 2005, 3:43 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: What part of England for IT jobs.

Check out:

http://www.michaelpage.co.uk
Old Jan 29th 2005, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What part of England for IT jobs.

Hi
Why don't you do a search on Jobserve for work in your field, and see what sort of locations come up.

Away from the SE, there is a fait bit up north! IT providers such as HP, EDS, IBM have sites all over the UK (and hence, clients). A number of blue-chip companies have their IT HQ up here too. Obviously tho, depends on your line of work.

House prices where we are (Cheshire) are not as steep as SE and there is a lot of countryside at close proximity. There are numerous areas where you could be living in a village/small town, whilst still close to cities (Manchester, Leeds, Chester, Sheffield, York, for example), with countryside in abundance (North Wales, Peak District, Yorkshire Dales, Lake District, etc etc)

Good luck
Old Jan 29th 2005, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
Hi
Why don't you do a search on Jobserve for work in your field, and see what sort of locations come up.

Away from the SE, there is a fait bit up north! IT providers such as HP, EDS, IBM have sites all over the UK (and hence, clients). A number of blue-chip companies have their IT HQ up here too. Obviously tho, depends on your line of work.

House prices where we are (Cheshire) are not as steep as SE and there is a lot of countryside at close proximity. There are numerous areas where you could be living in a village/small town, whilst still close to cities (Manchester, Leeds, Chester, Sheffield, York, for example), with countryside in abundance (North Wales, Peak District, Yorkshire Dales, Lake District, etc etc)

Good luck

Hi,
thanks for the link.
Its not programming we after its more like system administrator with a degree in Information technology.
I had a look at the website and most jobs seem to in London....I'm not impressed with the pay so far
Old Jan 29th 2005, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eurotramp
Hi,
thanks for the link.
Its not programming we after its more like system administrator with a degree in Information technology.
I had a look at the website and most jobs seem to in London....I'm not impressed with the pay so far
How long have you been away? The bottom fell out of the market a bit about 3-4 years ago. Contract rates dipped, outsourcing to big service providers hit quite hard, and of course, alongside the general trend of outsourcing, a lot of work has moved overseas. We have seen an upturn in our field in the last 12 months (my husband is a solutions architect..I'm now playing mummy!)

Which link did you check out? Jobserve.co.uk is a generic recruitment site. Michael Page, on the other hand, is quite a high-end recruiter with a lot of big-name, city clients.
Old Jan 30th 2005, 10:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
How long have you been away? The bottom fell out of the market a bit about 3-4 years ago. Contract rates dipped, outsourcing to big service providers hit quite hard, and of course, alongside the general trend of outsourcing, a lot of work has moved overseas. We have seen an upturn in our field in the last 12 months (my husband is a solutions architect..I'm now playing mummy!)

Which link did you check out? Jobserve.co.uk is a generic recruitment site. Michael Page, on the other hand, is quite a high-end recruiter with a lot of big-name, city clients.
Thanks for the links.....

Hubby has not lived in the uk since good 10 years..he is working for Nato and we live since 2 years in the french part of Belgium and I absolute hate it here.
Money is ok but that's it...before that we have lived 5 years in Holland and that was ok. I want a live and I'm not getting it here so we thinking of moving to the uk.
Old Feb 6th 2005, 3:00 am
Home Sick for Blighty

Roadhog is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess we are in a similar boat. We have been out of the UK for 10 years, and I am in IT looking for a job in the UK. I have been comparing salaries between the Mountain States of the USA to London, and can see that I earn way more here than I would in the UK. So, based on that we feel that with house prices in London, that living there is prohibitive. Even though we could stay with family there until we got a house.

We have thought about renting, even though we don't really like that option, with 5 kids, we believe most landlords won't want to allow us to rent with them.

Have looked around at some other places. One person suggested Scotland, and I did hear that there were some companies offering relocation for Scotland, but haven't had that confirmed.

Also heard about a US Conglomerate in Surrey that was hiring IT professionals, but again, haven't been able to find out who that is.

Good luck in your search. Hope we find something too.
Take Care, Colin.
Old Feb 6th 2005, 4:28 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roadhog
Have looked around at some other places. One person suggested Scotland, and I did hear that there were some companies offering relocation for Scotland, but haven't had that confirmed.

Also heard about a US Conglomerate in Surrey that was hiring IT professionals, but again, haven't been able to find out who that is.
Don't know about relocations...but there are jobs in scotland, what with napier and all that...and surrey, lots of jobs there, especially slough....evil place...but there are loads of jobs there...but probably not the top pay you might hope...
Old Feb 6th 2005, 9:13 pm
Home Sick for Blighty

Originally Posted by Bob
Don't know about relocations...but there are jobs in scotland, what with napier and all that...and surrey, lots of jobs there, especially slough....evil place...but there are loads of jobs there...but probably not the top pay you might hope...
Yes, about 15 years ago I used to live in Slough. It was evil then..... I remember it well. Used to work there too.

Not top pay, but house prices still high I bet. I remember that Lower Early near Reading was a popular place to live, it was just beginning to be built on. I bet now it is just part of Reading, and prices are high there too now.
Old Feb 7th 2005, 1:06 am
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by eurotramp
Hubby, me and 2 kids (7+10) wondering what part of England would be good for schools, nice to live, choice of IT jobs and house prices not to far over average.

I know almost impossible, but a girl can try..
Bracknell and Basingstoke are big IT areas in the south. House prices in that part of Hampshire are around the £300K - £400K price range for a half-decent house.
Old Feb 7th 2005, 12:07 pm
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bob
That's because swindon is a shit hole....and house prices are rising there too, mostly because of the massive amount of jobs Honda as brought to the area, but most of the top engineering jobs have had engineers brought over from Japan too...not that much IT, big call centre just shut down out there...

I come from Swindon and it is NOT a shit hole . I grant you the town centre isn't the best but it has some of the nicest surrounding countryside. And it has the greatest football team in the world ... well imho !!

With regard to the original question. London is probably tops for IT jobs but has the usual downsides of most major cities i.e. high housing costs, crime, litter etc etc.

The M4 corridor is an alternative fopr IT jobs ie. Cardiff, Bristol, Swindon and Reading. Edinburgh and Leeds are other alternatives. Look at www.jobserve.co.uk to get an idea of jobs and location.

Regards,

Bryan
Old Feb 9th 2005, 1:02 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Not top pay, but house prices still high I bet. I remember that Lower Early near Reading was a popular place to live, it was just beginning to be built on. I bet now it is just part of Reading, and prices are high there too now.
Aye, getting pricey in slough and reading....still cheaper than windsor or staines though...oh, and there's some IT stuff in staines...but that's another depressing place.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 1:03 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by BAY
I come from Swindon and it is NOT a shit hole . I grant you the town centre isn't the best but it has some of the nicest surrounding countryside. And it has the greatest football team in the world ... well imho !!
Well, being from down the road, I'd have to say that, and also dissagree with ya team selection
Old Feb 17th 2005, 3:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: An expat Aussie trying to understand why anyone wants to move to Oz.
Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light

I get at least a couple of unsolicited calls a week now about jobs around the Thames Valley area - Berkshire/Oxforshire area mainly.
Old Mar 30th 2005, 1:55 am
Home Sick for Blighty

Originally Posted by Devlin
I get at least a couple of unsolicited calls a week now about jobs around the Thames Valley area - Berkshire/Oxforshire area mainly.
Devlin,
I assume that these were from Recruiters. Could you please give me some idea of which recruiters are good to work with? I am thinking that I will post on Monster.co.uk and anyone else that is looking for experienced IT staff.
Thanks
Colin.
Old Mar 30th 2005, 2:48 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Devlin,
I assume that these were from Recruiters. Could you please give me some idea of which recruiters are good to work with? I am thinking that I will post on Monster.co.uk and anyone else that is looking for experienced IT staff.
Thanks
Colin.
There's Reed, Blue Arrow, Champion Recruitments, basically, there's loads out there in Oxfordshire area so do a google for recruitment agencies and Thames valley area....

And monster is utter pants.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.