What to do?

Old Nov 15th 2010, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

EnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud of
Default Re: What to do?

Originally Posted by quoll
I will be visiting Ballarat at Christmas, happy to catch up for coffee!! I understand, believe me!!!!
Quoll, that would be great, I will hold you to that! What brings you to Ballarat?

Beedubya, I checked out that post, this must be the longest thread on this site surely it will take me a long time to get through it all. But I do understand I am not the only one going through this, and I look forward to checking it all out.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 8:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Merseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by micheleb
Been in NZ 8 years and have wanted to go home all that time. I have tried but it doesn't seem to work . NZ is great but it isn't home. I have been on medication for 7 years and both my now adult children have had counselling and therapy, as have I. OH still wants to stay! I have been reading other peoples threads and would appreciate your feedback
I was in a similar situation for many years with my (now ex) husband - him wanting to stay in Australia and me wanting to return to England. I left and spent 3 months in the UK on my own (with some good friends for support!) and it was the best thing I ever did. It was hard at times though.
I have come back to Australia on my own terms and feel a lot stronger for it, even though it cost me my marriage. I still plan to live in the UK again some day
Rest assured,you are not alone.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 8:21 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Merseygirl
I was in a similar situation for many years with my (now ex) husband - him wanting to stay in Australia and me wanting to return to England. I left and spent 3 months in the UK on my own (with some good friends for support!) and it was the best thing I ever did. It was hard at times though.
I have come back to Australia on my own terms and feel a lot stronger for it, even though it cost me my marriage. I still plan to live in the UK again some day
When do you plan on going back Merseygirl? I was thinking of age 70 (!!!) but recent family circumstances made me have a major re-think and I am going back in 3 months!!

Last edited by Beedubya; Nov 15th 2010 at 9:39 am.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Beedubya
In the past I listened to other people (kids, ex husband) THIS time I am listening to ME, MYSELF and I, getting in touch with ME has been invaluable.....

Well done you have got to lisen to your heart as said many many times before home is where the heart is

All the very best on your return Beedubya
Old Nov 15th 2010, 9:40 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irish Guinness
Well done you have got to lisen to your heart as said many many times before home is where the heart is

All the very best on your return Beedubya
Thank you sooo much, I am so scared this time......but WTH I am gonna do it!!
Old Nov 15th 2010, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

EnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud of

I was actually thinking of doing the same thing, going back with no fixed agenda of time just to get the experience. Nice to know we are not alone and that others have been down the same path.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Merseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
When do you plan on going back Merseygirl? I was thinking of age 70 (!!!) but recent family circumstances made me have a major re-think and I am going back in 3 months!!
I really don't know at this stage. Hopefully within 5 years. I'm just a young forty something, so I would need to find work. Hopefully, the job situation will eventually pick up in the UK although it may take a few years. I have a good, secure job in the Public Service here in Australia which I am loathe to give up but could probably take a years leave without pay and at least go back to Britain for a year. I would still have my job in Australia to come back to if everything went pear shaped.

Good luck with your move back - 3 months will go very quickly.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 12:35 pm
Home Sweet Home

I really don't know at this stage. Hopefully within 5 years. I'm just a young forty something, so I would need to find work. Hopefully, the job situation will eventually pick up in the UK although it may take a few years. I have a good, secure job in the Public Service here in Australia which I am loathe to give up but could probably take a years leave without pay and at least go back to Britain for a year. I would still have my job in Australia to come back to if everything went pear shaped.

Good luck with your move back - 3 months will go very quickly.
My sister told me last night I will have no trouble getting a job, I do so hope she is right! YOU are only a spring chicken.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 2:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EnglishRose15
Quoll, that would be great, I will hold you to that! What brings you to Ballarat?

Beedubya, I checked out that post, this must be the longest thread on this site surely it will take me a long time to get through it all. But I do understand I am not the only one going through this, and I look forward to checking it all out.
Hi, only just revisiting this thread - have sent you an email (hope it doesnt disappear into your spam folder).

The inlaws live in Ballarat and DH's mum is now 93 and in a nursing home there. Sadly she seems to have quite severe dementia so doesnt even realize that she has a new great granddaughter even though she has been told and sent pictures. Last year she asked DH if I had ever been to Ballarat before (duh, like at least once if not twice or 3 times a year over the past 32 years!)

Anyway, I will be up for coffee and natter!
Old Dec 8th 2010, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

taichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by micheleb
Been in NZ 8 years and have wanted to go home all that time. I have tried but it doesn't seem to work . NZ is great but it isn't home. I have been on medication for 7 years and both my now adult children have had counselling and therapy, as have I. OH still wants to stay! I have been reading other peoples threads and would appreciate your feedback

o that is not good, i have decided I am moving back I am starting to get depressed and think my son is already there, so Im gone.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 10:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I also am a reluctant expat........and have done the anti depressants, husband who does not want to move back.........just spent 8 weeks home in the UK, it was brilliant........my journey will be tough also i have 3 teenagers who do not want to go back, i have been sad for 13 years.......amazing to know so many people feel this way. I am 59 ( last week!) and plan to be back there soon. work in progress, it may cost me everything but I know I will be where I want to be.
When i was home I saw several jobs i could do......I will do anything though, work in a clothes store, cleaning......dont care.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 7:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

Do what you believe is right for you. Many of us have been in similar situations and can empathise with you, but we're all individuals, and I suppose we see things through our own eyes and in terms of our own experiences.

My own situation is rather the opposite. I grew up in the UK, moved to Hong Kong for a few years, and got married. My wife is British, from Scotland. We lived in South Africa for about 30 years after that, and then she decided to go back to the UK in 2006. I came to see her a few times, and returned in May last year, intending to stay, but went back to SA on a contract in January.

I've been back in the UK since August and, I must say, I'm very unsettled. I just don't enjoy it here. I don't have any other family in the UK now, and I find it a completely depressing place to live. That's just me, it's not a criticism of the UK at all. I miss Africa - the heat, the huge blue skies, the space, and a lot of other things - despite the warts.

We've been married for a long time, and I suppose we understand each other pretty well by now, and the other evening my wife said "You're going back, aren't you?" I said yes, probably, and that's where we are now. I don't think our marriage will fall apart, but we'll just have to get used to the idea of living in different countries again.

I hope it all works out for you, truly.
Old Dec 17th 2010, 5:42 am
Banned

athlonfx is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally, I will choose to return home. After all, it is where you were born, raised and rooted. Although NZ is a beautiful place and the place you've worked for years, it still can not replace the memory of your home.
Old Dec 17th 2010, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

cinzia is an unknown quantity at this point

I totally agree with the above!
Old Dec 17th 2010, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

SuperRams is a name known to allSuperRams is a name known to allSuperRams is a name known to allSuperRams is a name known to allSuperRams is a name known to allSuperRams is a name known to allSuperRams is a name known to allSuperRams is a name known to allSuperRams is a name known to allSuperRams is a name known to allSuperRams is a name known to all

Originally Posted by cinzia
I totally agree with the above!
As do i... if i could i would be back home in 8 hours (that is how long the flight is). Mixture of not leaving the kids as well as not wanting to let my parents down is what is keeping me here. One day though i am going to have to put myself first... that is the only thing that keeps me going