Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What brings you back after working so hard to leave?

What brings you back after working so hard to leave?

Old Feb 6th 2007, 6:54 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What brings you back after working so hard to leave?

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Oh sweetie...there's always a barbi to go to!!
a

and the
Old Feb 6th 2007, 7:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Surrey to Perth and back to Surrey & Back again, Why why why
sandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
a

and the

Great Pictures But:

No No No more Bloody BBQs and pure sandy beaches.

Long to find a beach with a rock pool,so the kids can explore.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 8:45 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sandrainaus
Great Pictures But:

No No No more Bloody BBQs and pure sandy beaches.

Long to find a beach with a rock pool,so the kids can explore.
have you been down to Watermans beach, they have quite a nice little reef there with rock pools. Directly opposite the Fig on West Coast Drive.
Old Feb 11th 2007, 9:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Surrey to Perth and back to Surrey & Back again, Why why why
sandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by northernbird
have you been down to Watermans beach, they have quite a nice little reef there with rock pools. Directly opposite the Fig on West Coast Drive.

Cheers NB

Will have a trip down there
Old Feb 12th 2007, 2:08 am
going home!!

mandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Danny B
I'm sure for every one unhappy expat living abroad there must be ten happy, but when I flick through this "Moving back to the UK" forum now and again, perhaps it's just me but I always seem to read about people who have spent years preparing to emigrate and when they finally make it to Oz or Canada they then get homesick and come back after a few years.

Don't take this the wrong way, everyone has their own reasons why they want to leave their country of birth, for me it's the wide open spaces in Canada compared to where I am in Middlesex. My family and I are planning to move to Canada this summer and to be perfectly honest I can only see myself coming back to the UK for weddings & funerals. Why would I want to come back to a country that I have spent all my life in.
Family & friends would be much happier visiting me in Canada because they would get a cheap holiday

I am not talking about people coming back for financial reasons, that is a different kettle of fish and one that I do not want to comment on. My point is when people miss the "UK" and feel the need to come home for no apparent reason other than the fact that they now miss the country they spent so hard trying to leave..

i would have said similar things before i left england.........but i wouldnt have been brave enought to post it on the "moving back to uk forum"!!
we came to oz, after being stuck in a rut, you know the one, go to work, come back from work, go to work, and wanted a adventure. We didnt set out to be here for life, we didnt hate england , just wanted a change.

Since then been in oz, coming up to 8 months - not long, but long enough for me, to know, oz aint what its cracked up to be....im sure my expectations were maybe too high, i dont know, but what i do know, is that i miss england, i miss seasons, i miss the historical buildings, i miss my family, my children still want miss their grandparents, i miss a trustworthy babysitters, i miss my old job, community midwife - which i cant do here! i miss my smaller cosy house! i miss HOME!

its very much different when you are an expat, and i read all posts prior to coming here, i was registered under a different name, i read the going back to uk forum and thought that wont be me! but it is!

keep your options open, dont be blinkered or you will come down to earth with a bang, i did....
Old Feb 12th 2007, 5:05 am
on my way home :)

leeds lass has much to be proud ofleeds lass has much to be proud ofleeds lass has much to be proud ofleeds lass has much to be proud ofleeds lass has much to be proud ofleeds lass has much to be proud ofleeds lass has much to be proud ofleeds lass has much to be proud ofleeds lass has much to be proud ofleeds lass has much to be proud ofleeds lass has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mandtooz
i would have said similar things before i left england.........but i wouldnt have been brave enought to post it on the "moving back to uk forum"!!
we came to oz, after being stuck in a rut, you know the one, go to work, come back from work, go to work, and wanted a adventure. We didnt set out to be here for life, we didnt hate england , just wanted a change.

Since then been in oz, coming up to 8 months - not long, but long enough for me, to know, oz aint what its cracked up to be....im sure my expectations were maybe too high, i dont know, but what i do know, is that i miss england, i miss seasons, i miss the historical buildings, i miss my family, my children still want miss their grandparents, i miss a trustworthy babysitters, i miss my old job, community midwife - which i cant do here! i miss my smaller cosy house! i miss HOME!

its very much different when you are an expat, and i read all posts prior to coming here, i was registered under a different name, i read the going back to uk forum and thought that wont be me! but it is!

keep your options open, dont be blinkered or you will come down to earth with a bang, i did....
Great post couldnt have said it better myself I miss everythign you have said
Old Feb 12th 2007, 5:44 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Well done you for having to courage to admit you were wrong!

I was exactly the same as you in the UK. I would occasionaly read this forum and think "they're just not trying hard enough". I know differently now.

I'm the same as you; it's everything I miss, not just family. i miss quirky old Blighty and all of the crap she has to offer me!!
Old Feb 12th 2007, 6:00 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

It seems more people return from Australia than they do from Canada? For those of you that have spent any amount of time in both countries, why do you think that is?

Is it as simple as more people move to Oz than Canada?

I have to admit that Australia isn't for me, personally I do not like the heat so moving to Oz would be a definite no no.

I was talking to my family about what a can of worms I had started here and they were of a similar opinion. You will never hear a peep out of the thousands of happy Brits living in Oz because they are too busy getting on with their new Australian life. That is not a dig at those of you who are unahppy by the way
Old Feb 12th 2007, 6:08 am
FPM
Banned

Location: knuckle dragging, cultureless, boring, dingo oblivion
FPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond repute

It seems more people return from Australia than they do from Canada? For those of you that have spent any amount of time in both countries, why do you think that is?

I have to admit that Australia isn't for me, personally I do not like the heat so moving to Oz would be a definite no no.

I was talking to my family about what a can of worms I had started here and they were of a similar opinion. You will never hear a peep out of the thousands of happy Brits living in Oz because they are too busy getting on with their new Australian life. That is not a dig at those of you who are unahppy by the way
Incorrect. a lot of them are over on the Australia forum. Conversely you could say you never hear a peep about the millions on Brits living happily in Britain because they're too busy enjoying life rather than reading the Daily Fail.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 7:13 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Having lived in both, Canada for 4 years and the last almost 2 in Australia I can say that I find them both very similar on almost every level apart from the weather. The simple reason that more people return from Australia is that more people go to Australia than to Canada. Also Canada is not as far from UK and benefits from far lower air fares and flight times so you can get your fix of "home" more often. Just my opinion of course.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 7:26 am
going home!!

mandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Well done you for having to courage to admit you were wrong!

I was exactly the same as you in the UK. I would occasionaly read this forum and think "they're just not trying hard enough". I know differently now.

I'm the same as you; it's everything I miss, not just family. i miss quirky old Blighty and all of the crap she has to offer me!!

its a funny old world isnt it!!

are u moving back to worcs? i did my training at the good old ronkswood hospital, wonder if those houses built on the site are haunted? lol
Old Feb 12th 2007, 8:13 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

its a funny old world isnt it!!

are u moving back to worcs? i did my training at the good old ronkswood hospital, wonder if those houses built on the site are haunted? lol
Nope, I wont be going back to somewhere I've already lived. Been down that road, time for something new.

We fancy Cornwall/Devon or maybe Hereford if those fail. Where are you heading?
Old Feb 12th 2007, 8:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Duh....that's 'cos this the the Moving Back to UK Forum.