Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What brings you back after working so hard to leave?

What brings you back after working so hard to leave?

Old Feb 4th 2007, 8:23 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default What brings you back after working so hard to leave?

I'm sure for every one unhappy expat living abroad there must be ten happy, but when I flick through this "Moving back to the UK" forum now and again, perhaps it's just me but I always seem to read about people who have spent years preparing to emigrate and when they finally make it to Oz or Canada they then get homesick and come back after a few years.

Don't take this the wrong way, everyone has their own reasons why they want to leave their country of birth, for me it's the wide open spaces in Canada compared to where I am in Middlesex. My family and I are planning to move to Canada this summer and to be perfectly honest I can only see myself coming back to the UK for weddings & funerals. Why would I want to come back to a country that I have spent all my life in.
Family & friends would be much happier visiting me in Canada because they would get a cheap holiday

I am not talking about people coming back for financial reasons, that is a different kettle of fish and one that I do not want to comment on. My point is when people miss the "UK" and feel the need to come home for no apparent reason other than the fact that they now miss the country they spent so hard trying to leave..
Old Feb 4th 2007, 8:31 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What brings you back after working so hard to leave?

Originally Posted by Danny B
I'm sure for every one unhappy expat living abroad there must be ten happy, but when I flick through this "Moving back to the UK" forum now and again, perhaps it's just me but I always seem to read about people who have spent years preparing to emigrate and when they finally make it to Oz or Canada they then get homesick and come back after a few years.

Don't take this the wrong way, everyone has their own reasons why they want to leave their country of birth, for me it's the wide open spaces in Canada compared to where I am in Middlesex. My family and I are planning to move to Canada this summer and to be perfectly honest I can only see myself coming back to the UK for weddings & funerals. Why would I want to come back to a country that I have spent all my life in.
Family & friends would be much happier visiting me in Canada because they would get a cheap holiday

I am not talking about people coming back for financial reasons, that is a different kettle of fish and one that I do not want to comment on. My point is when people miss the "UK" and feel the need to come home for no apparent reason other than the fact that they now miss the country they spent so hard trying to leave..
Because those who are trying so hard to leave are running away and have unrealistic expectations of where they are running to.

Then they discover same shit different bucket.

And they realise that the UK isn't so bad after all. In fact it is one of the best countries on earth.

HTH!
Old Feb 4th 2007, 8:36 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

it's simple for me it's HOME and having travelled the world there aint no place like it
Old Feb 4th 2007, 8:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B

You may want to rethink your opinions once you're an expat. Obviously everyone thinks the same way as you do before they embark on immigration...if they didn't they'd stay put.

I moved from having a good life in the UK...materially, socially etc. to a good life in the US...materially. I missed the life that I had led for so many years...I missed the familiarity. I had spent a lot of time in the US before we moved here...thought I knew what it would be like.

The other side of the fence is always greener and all that.

On the up side...you can always go home.
Old Feb 4th 2007, 8:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hello ladies. Usual suspects I see... but there seems to be one missing...
Old Feb 4th 2007, 8:41 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Is Vic watching the football then?
Old Feb 4th 2007, 8:42 pm
Homebody

Is Vic watching the "football" then?
Old Feb 4th 2007, 8:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

I had spent a lot of time in the US before we moved here...thought I knew what it would be like.
Never a truer word spoken.
Old Feb 4th 2007, 8:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Is Vic watching the "football" then?
lol not bloody lightly
Old Feb 4th 2007, 8:45 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by britvic
on cue vic, well done
Old Feb 4th 2007, 8:45 pm
Homebody

Indeed.

But also, we didn't anticipate 9/11 and everything that followed. That changed everything - the whole bloody country has taken leave of its senses.
Old Feb 4th 2007, 8:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lol not bloody lightly
The OH ain't goner either if he knows whats good for him, no really I'm very lucky he is not interested
Old Feb 4th 2007, 8:46 pm
Homebody

lol not bloody lightly
Or even likely Oh look what the cat... - hello Vic!

Shall we each do 6 squares - should be enough for a small quilt.

As long as I can crochet - don't feel like knitting today!
Old Feb 4th 2007, 8:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Yeah....here she is.
Old Feb 4th 2007, 8:47 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Elvira
Indeed.

But also, we didn't anticipate 9/11 and everything that followed. That changed everything - the whole bloody country has taken leave of its senses.
you said it..they are paranoid

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.