Weather

Old Jul 9th 2011, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

ANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Weather

Originally Posted by chris955
In the last few years we have come to realise that in the grand scheme of things the weather really is pretty unimportant. We have spent the last 10 years in Queensland so we are used to 'good' weather, having said that our kids often dont play outside because it's too hot or humid or wet.
The bad part of winter doesn't really last that long and the arrival of spring makes it worthwhile. It really depends on the type of person you are, if beaches and lying around in the sun are the things that do it for you then you might suffer more but for us those things are largely irrelevant and want a more cerebral life.
Beaches and lying around in the sun were my thing but not anymore. I admit the English January/February weather scares me. I am thinking of not moving back until march now. That may be better for me.
Old Jul 9th 2011, 11:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
Christmas Day 25 December 2010 Edinburgh, Scotland

After four weeks of continuous cold to very cold weather with some really severe frosts at night and occasionally throughout the day over thick snow and dangerous icy conditions, Christmas Day dawned clear but very cold indeed. Although the daylight lasted only 7 hours 10 minutes the sun shone for much of the day and it made the frost on the snow sparkle like millions of jewels. The sky was a very pale frosy blue and although the temperature did not rise above -5.7C before plummetting down again as it began to get dark at around 15:45 hours.

Technically it was not in fact a White Christmas as no snow actually fell on the day, in accordance with the Meteorological Office definition, but apart from that it was a true White Christmas in every sense of the words....quite magical in fact......Christmas Day 2010.

A recent report issued by scientists predict a sharp drop in winter temperatures in Western Europe, including the UK, over the next 30 years - with a fall of up to 3C in average winter temperatures in spite of "global warming". It sounds bizarre but apparently it's all due to a fairly rapid deline in the effects of the Gulf Stream.

The last two winters 2009/10 and 2010/11 saw lengthy periods of severe cold and heavy snowfalls in most of the UK.
Indeed, very lengthy and very cold. Wrap up warm.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

nwtrucker will become famous soon enoughnwtrucker will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ANGIE1956
I have heard that the weather as changed somewhat in the UK over the last few years, cloder winters and warmer summers, is that correct?
Last winter was the coldest on record in the UK. I'm a night driver and experienced -17 one night. Believe it or not I didn't think it was that bad with the appropriate clothing on. Warmer summers?.......erm, it's been mild so far, low 20's mainly with a couple of days in the high 20's. So, colder winters yes, warmer summers....the jury is out!
Old Jul 11th 2011, 10:46 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I have never been a beach or suntan person and my wife definitely isn't, we have been in Queensland about 10 years and have been to the beach perhaps 12 or 15 times.
The really bad part of the winter passes pretty quickly but maybe worth going after that as you say and then acclimatise slowly.

Beaches and lying around in the sun were my thing but not anymore. I admit the English January/February weather scares me. I am thinking of not moving back until march now. That may be better for me.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

The weather in England is also of concern to me especially if I arrive there in autumn. After most of the past 51 years in Australia, it could be a shock to my system. Nevertheless, Adelaide was only 11.4º C to-day, the lowest for three years, but I didn't feel cold gathering things outside for a skip.

I suppose I must learn to dress accordingly.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 10:53 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

My Dad always used to say you can easily make yourself warmer but it's hard to make yourself cooler. It will be hard for awhile but from experience it doesn't take long to adjust.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 11:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aries
The weather in England is also of concern to me especially if I arrive there in autumn. After most of the past 51 years in Australia, it could be a shock to my system. Nevertheless, Adelaide was only 11.4º C to-day, the lowest for three years, but I didn't feel cold gathering things outside for a skip.

I suppose I must learn to dress accordingly.
No doubt it will. England will seldom get above 3 degrees C during the day in Winter.

Houses are warm inside though, but don't expect to do many casual, outside activities during those months.

Last edited by Alfresco; Jul 12th 2011 at 11:24 am.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 9:26 pm
Banned

OMG, 3 degrees, where did you live in the UK ? Average winter temps are just under 7 degrees which means it often gets warmer than that and of course colder but to say it doesn't often get above 3 is not really accurate. Also remember that everyone handles cold (and heat) differently. I function perfectly normally in the cold so doing stuff outside isn't an issue but it is in the heat.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 5:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

My Dad always used to say you can easily make yourself warmer but it's hard to make yourself cooler. It will be hard for awhile but from experience it doesn't take long to adjust.
I've always said something similar, albeit a bit more crudely: you can always put more clothes on if you're cold, but once you're naked, there isn't much more you can do to cool off!

I'm a native of Kentucky here in the US. We get all the extremes of weather, really cold winters and really hot summers (in the middle of the heatwave right now). I'm moving to Glasgow in about 7 weeks. I lived in Glasgow for about 6mo, over the fall and winter a few years back, and I didn't think it was anywhere near as cold as what I'm used to here. And I can't stand the heat/humidity so I'll be glad to go somewhere that only gets about 90F a few times a year (if that).
Old Jul 13th 2011, 8:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OMG, 3 degrees, where did you live in the UK ? Average winter temps are just under 7 degrees which means it often gets warmer than that and of course colder but to say it doesn't often get above 3 is not really accurate. Also remember that everyone handles cold (and heat) differently. I function perfectly normally in the cold so doing stuff outside isn't an issue but it is in the heat.
I lived in Surrey.

The average temp in the UK in Winter (Dec, Jan, Feb) since 1971 - 2000 (30 years) is 3.7 degrees Celcius. Over the last four winters it has been exactly 3 degrees on average.

Here are the links:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/2008/winter.html

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/2009/winter.html

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/2010/winter.html

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/2011/winter.html

The daily mean temp graphs don't show it getting much higher than 7 degrees max either. I'm not sure where you got 7 degrees from (and "often warmer than that"). It could be the average max temps though, which only last a few hours at most.

And yes, people do handle heat and cold differently, but for someone who has lived in Florida for 10 years, it will be an adjustment.

For someone who has lived in South Australia it could be manageable.

As I have said before, wrap up warm.

Last edited by Alfresco; Jul 13th 2011 at 8:26 am.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

ANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Alfresco
I lived in Surrey.

The average temp in the UK in Winter (Dec, Jan, Feb) since 1971 - 2000 (30 years) is 3.7 degrees Celcius. Over the last four winters it has been exactly 3 degrees on average.

Here are the links:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/2008/winter.html

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/2009/winter.html

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/2010/winter.html

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/2011/winter.html

The daily mean temp graphs don't show it getting much higher than 7 degrees max either. I'm not sure where you got 7 degrees from (and "often warmer than that"). It could be the average max temps though, which only last a few hours at most.

And yes, people do handle heat and cold differently, but for someone who has lived in Florida for 10 years, it will be an adjustment.

For someone who has lived in South Australia it could be manageable.

As I have said before, wrap up warm.
Well i for one think the December weather will be hard on me after spending the last 23 years in Florida. And i am moving towards waiting till march to move back Its been a long time so surely i can hang in here for a couple more months.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 11:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well i for one think the December weather will be hard on me after spending the last 23 years in Florida. And i am moving towards waiting till march to move back Its been a long time so surely i can hang in here for a couple more months.
Indeed! That's the best time to move.

All the best!
Old Jul 13th 2011, 6:15 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nwtrucker
Last winter was the coldest on record in the UK. I'm a night driver and experienced -17 one night. Believe it or not I didn't think it was that bad with the appropriate clothing on. Warmer summers?.......erm, it's been mild so far, low 20's mainly with a couple of days in the high 20's. So, colder winters yes, warmer summers....the jury is out!
Last winter was not the coldest on record..December was the coldest for 100 years, Jan was average Feb was very mild..In fact winter 2009-10 was colder than 2010-11 overall.

Also there hasnt been a warm summer since 2006 in the UK. You have just had the coolest June since 1991.
Old Jul 16th 2011, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
I've always said something similar, albeit a bit more crudely: you can always put more clothes on if you're cold, but once you're naked, there isn't much more you can do to cool off!

I'm a native of Kentucky here in the US. We get all the extremes of weather, really cold winters and really hot summers (in the middle of the heatwave right now). I'm moving to Glasgow in about 7 weeks. I lived in Glasgow for about 6mo, over the fall and winter a few years back, and I didn't think it was anywhere near as cold as what I'm used to here. And I can't stand the heat/humidity so I'll be glad to go somewhere that only gets about 90F a few times a year (if that).
I have just had a visit to Singapore and after a year back in the UK when at times you think "oh to have lovely hot weather for weeks on end" (the weather has been on the whole very pleasant since we returned home and nothing we can complain about) but after our trip (your mind does play tricks on you) I am glad we do have such extreme weather, I forgot about the aircon (already have a cold through extreme temperature change, something I always seemed to have through out summer's in Aus) the walking out and feeling hot and wanting a cool shower straight away...lol....the not sleeping at night because of the heat (I cannot stand the aircon on at night time)....having a cool breeze now seems not so bad. Saying all of that though we had a great time but that's what holidays are for.
Old Jul 16th 2011, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

After 12 years in W.A we timed our return in May....the Winter was cold but we just "rugged" up and at least it felt Christmassy etc...this year though we have booked to go away in Winter just to break it up, just a choice thing really as we like to go away that time of year anyway plus we enjoy being in the UK in the Spring/Summer time...light nights and there are plenty of things to see and do. My Dad prefers to go away Jan/Feb and My F.I.L Oct/Nov. I am sure you will be fine, good luck