Weather

Old Jun 5th 2011, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

ANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant future
Smile Weather

Can anyone tell me how they have handled the cold weather when moving home?
I am returning December after spending 23 years in Florida. For me its not about the Florida sunshine anymore though, its about people.
I am concerned with the long cold, dark winters though, and if that will take me back to Florida.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 12:19 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Weather

Originally Posted by ANGIE1956
Can anyone tell me how they have handled the cold weather when moving home?
I am returning December after spending 23 years in Florida. For me its not about the Florida sunshine anymore though, its about people.
I am concerned with the long cold, dark winters though, and if that will take me back to Florida.
It'll depend a bit on where you move back to. Even in winter there's more daylight in the south -- over an hour more, I think, and in general it's warmer. The south east gets the most sun. Look on the bright side, you'll be able to enjoy summer without burning and away from that oppressive humidity.

But yes, the short winter days can be difficult for just about everyone, I think, thought a lot of people just feel grumpy and don't know why. It's more obvious if you've lived with something different. Will you be able to get away for a bit in January? The sunshine will top up your batteries. Also look into SADD lights and lots of Vitamin D.

Bev
Old Jun 5th 2011, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

ANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant future
Thumbs down Re: Weather

Originally Posted by Bevm
It'll depend a bit on where you move back to. Even in winter there's more daylight in the south -- over an hour more, I think, and in general it's warmer. The south east gets the most sun. Look on the bright side, you'll be able to enjoy summer without burning and away from that oppressive humidity.

But yes, the short winter days can be difficult for just about everyone, I think, thought a lot of people just feel grumpy and don't know why. It's more obvious if you've lived with something different. Will you be able to get away for a bit in January? The sunshine will top up your batteries. Also look into SADD lights and lots of Vitamin D.

Bev
I will be moving back to the midlands, but my son lives in Durham. I remember the winters being so cold, biting wind cutting into my face, feet with no feeling they would get so cold. When i remember them things i think i must be mad to be going back. Do people just stay in doors all the time. There is not mush you can do really when its that cold.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ANGIE1956
I will be moving back to the midlands, but my son lives in Durham. I remember the winters being so cold, biting wind cutting into my face, feet with no feeling they would get so cold. When i remember them things i think i must be mad to be going back. Do people just stay in doors all the time. There is not mush you can do really when its that cold.
We had the coldest winter when we arrived back last winter...and yes the dark nights come quickly but we have bonfire night, halloween and also Christmas to look forward to....the weather stops you anywhere if you want it to...you just have to think positive....wrap up warm...I wore ugg boots for the first time...lol.....we also went to the Christmas markets and went away for a few weekends...my family always have a week away somewhere warm to break up the winter and I think we will do that as well. Good luck
Old Jun 6th 2011, 9:56 am
Greetings Traveller

JustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to all

There seems to be more events on in the winter now in the UK than there were - as well as the traditional ones there are things like fire festivals and illuminated gardens. So people don't necessarily stay in all the time. Also if stay in all the time you don't get that feeling of coming in from the cold to warm up, get cosy & have a hot choc, or hot toddy!

I recently heard the saying that there is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing - which has a ring of truth about it! Make a point of investing in some decent gear so you feel comfortable. This is going to be my strategy when we get back to the UK anyway.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

We're currently in Souhtwestern Ontario and visited East Anglia this February. We were able to walk outside, in just a coat and normal shoes. When we parked the car at the airport in Toronto, the temp on the car was -32 (plus windchill). Compared to that, it was balmy We took our son out to play at the park, went for walks. No snow boots, no gloves so thick you can't move your fingers. I know it does get colder than that, but not for long compared to here. I think you'll be fine

And definitely worth it to get away from the humidity!
Old Jun 6th 2011, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JustBecause
There seems to be more events on in the winter now in the UK than there were - as well as the traditional ones there are things like fire festivals and illuminated gardens. So people don't necessarily stay in all the time. Also if stay in all the time you don't get that feeling of coming in from the cold to warm up, get cosy & have a hot choc, or hot toddy!

I recently heard the saying that there is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing - which has a ring of truth about it! Make a point of investing in some decent gear so you feel comfortable. This is going to be my strategy when we get back to the UK anyway.
Thanks, i love winter cloths dont get much chance to wear them in florida, so that will be a plus. And i love big open fire's
Old Jun 6th 2011, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dashie
We're currently in Souhtwestern Ontario and visited East Anglia this February. We were able to walk outside, in just a coat and normal shoes. When we parked the car at the airport in Toronto, the temp on the car was -32 (plus windchill). Compared to that, it was balmy We took our son out to play at the park, went for walks. No snow boots, no gloves so thick you can't move your fingers. I know it does get colder than that, but not for long compared to here. I think you'll be fine

And definitely worth it to get away from the humidity!
I have heard that the weather as changed somewhat in the UK over the last few years, cloder winters and warmer summers, is that correct?
Old Jun 6th 2011, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure. They've had a couple of winters with snow, and although they're not geared up for it and struggled while it was bad, it didn't seem to last that long. Snuggle up, it will pass At the same time, the summers are also nothing like this side of the pond either.

We're looking forward to being able to wear jeans all year round again when we move back
Old Jun 6th 2011, 4:32 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JustBecause
Agree totally. After looking forward to the 'permanent snow' being forecast in UK when I came back last Christmas, I really did not enjoy it. This basically boiled down to being ill prepared clothing wise.

I went down to B'ham for a 5 day trip biut returned home after 3 nights because I hated being away from home, in a coldish hotel, walking in freezing temps without enough clothing to keep me warm.

If you live in UK you HAVE to have a comprehensive wardrobe for both warm and cold weather.

Same goes for ensuring your house is properly prepared for extreme cold.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 6:50 pm
Just Joined

diana97 is an unknown quantity at this point

Although i'm from Canada and find English winters "mild", i can understand your hesitation. However, i prefer to think of each season bringing its own charms and you have to embrace them. From October onwards, it's candles, woodsmoke, Christmas. January and February can be difficult but by March, the daffodils are out and things start to look up again! I also like to fit in a couple of trips to charming european cities - i remember visiting Copenhagen in October and almost every cafe and restaurant was candlelit. Beautiful and romantic!
Old Jul 8th 2011, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Christmas Day 25 December 2010 Edinburgh, Scotland

After four weeks of continuous cold to very cold weather with some really severe frosts at night and occasionally throughout the day over thick snow and dangerous icy conditions, Christmas Day dawned clear but very cold indeed. Although the daylight lasted only 7 hours 10 minutes the sun shone for much of the day and it made the frost on the snow sparkle like millions of jewels. The sky was a very pale frosy blue and although the temperature did not rise above -5.7C before plummetting down again as it began to get dark at around 15:45 hours.

Technically it was not in fact a White Christmas as no snow actually fell on the day, in accordance with the Meteorological Office definition, but apart from that it was a true White Christmas in every sense of the words....quite magical in fact......Christmas Day 2010.

A recent report issued by scientists predict a sharp drop in winter temperatures in Western Europe, including the UK, over the next 30 years - with a fall of up to 3C in average winter temperatures in spite of "global warming". It sounds bizarre but apparently it's all due to a fairly rapid deline in the effects of the Gulf Stream.

The last two winters 2009/10 and 2010/11 saw lengthy periods of severe cold and heavy snowfalls in most of the UK.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 10:28 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

In the last few years we have come to realise that in the grand scheme of things the weather really is pretty unimportant. We have spent the last 10 years in Queensland so we are used to 'good' weather, having said that our kids often dont play outside because it's too hot or humid or wet.
The bad part of winter doesn't really last that long and the arrival of spring makes it worthwhile. It really depends on the type of person you are, if beaches and lying around in the sun are the things that do it for you then you might suffer more but for us those things are largely irrelevant and want a more cerebral life.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

usoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud of

I spent 7 years in HOT Arizona. All i could think about was 4 seasons, apart from wanting move back. We had a couple of months where it was springlike, but then by March it would begin to heat up, relentlessly. I was tired of all the constant heat and not being able to walk from the car to the shop/house etc, without getting exhausted.
I missed wearing a variety of seasonal clothes and would think about my days in the UK, standing at the bus stop, freezing, and actually missing it!! So now that we are in NJ, I am enjoying the weather more, but the summer so far is still too hot for me. I want the British summers!!
Old Jul 9th 2011, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by usoruk
I spent 7 years in HOT Arizona. All i could think about was 4 seasons, apart from wanting move back. We had a couple of months where it was springlike, but then by March it would begin to heat up, relentlessly. I was tired of all the constant heat and not being able to walk from the car to the shop/house etc, without getting exhausted.
I missed wearing a variety of seasonal clothes and would think about my days in the UK, standing at the bus stop, freezing, and actually missing it!! So now that we are in NJ, I am enjoying the weather more, but the summer so far is still too hot for me. I want the British summers!!
I feel that way about florida. Its so hot it restricts you. You cant walk anywhere, even if there was somewhere to walk to. And public transport where i am is unheard of, and i dont live in the boonies. Its lovely when you at the beach, or at the pool sipping a nice cool cocktail, but i work my but off. Not ffun anymore.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.