Reload this Page >

Voluntary National Insurance contributions

Voluntary National Insurance contributions

Old Mar 2nd 2018, 6:39 am
Forum Regular

Benson55 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Voluntary National Insurance contributions

159 a week right now.
Compare it to other countries like Canada/Aus/NZ/USA and you will see its generous.
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 2:45 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Benson55
159 a week right now.
Compare it to other countries like Canada/Aus/NZ/USA and you will see its generous.
You might want to exclude the US from that list. .... My US SS is forecast to be around three times the payment I will get for my UK state pension. Both will be "fully paid up" by the time I retire.
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 2:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Benson "very generous"?? Compared to which country ? Name one !
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 2:50 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Benson "very generous"?? Compared to which country ? Name one !
He already named four .... Though I believe he is wrong about at least one of the ones he listed.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 2nd 2018 at 3:45 pm.
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You might want to exclude the US from that list. .... My US SS is forecast to be around three times the payment I will get for my UK state pension. Both will be "fully paid up" by the time I retire.
I agree.

I have 23 years of payments into the US system and my estimated pension will be 3 times what my estimated UK pension will be after 30 years of payments.

However, I was always a high earner in the US and my high SS pension will reflect that. I don't know what I would expect to get if I had been on the median US wage instead of 3 times the median.
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by durham_lad
.... However, I was always a high earner in the US and my high SS pension will reflect that. I don't know what I would expect to get if I had been on the median US wage instead of 3 times the median.
It's all relative, but at the bottom end of the payscale (first $11,000/yr IIRC), SS pays 90% of your pre-retirement income.
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

Benson55 is an unknown quantity at this point

Depends in the US what you were earning does not in the UK.
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 4:10 pm

See #246, above. SS is very "generous" to the lowest paid, allowing them to retire on almost full income.
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 4:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

It used to make a difference in the UK under SERPS, but the UK changed the rules.
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 4:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Benson - look at pensions in the EU. UK pension is one of the lowest.

Paying Nat Ins Contributions by cheque or bank draft was never an issue for me. Very easy - even at the times when I had no UK current account and could not sign personal cheques. Get a bank draft in pounds sterling from your bank. Post it registered to Longbenton.

Last edited by scot47; Mar 2nd 2018 at 4:30 pm.
Old Mar 3rd 2018, 12:56 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Genuine question.
Being in Canada I hear a lot about people with health benefits losing them when no longer employed and having great difficulty with prescription costs - because they're not (relatively) cheap like in the UK and are full cost.

For example, I have a blood pressure meds of about $100 and eye drops that are $75.

Not only would they be 'cheap' in the UK, they're free if you're 60 (among other reasons).

What's the situation in the US if you're retired? Do those employee benefits continue?
Old Mar 3rd 2018, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Genuine question.
Being in Canada I hear a lot about people with health benefits losing them when no longer employed and having great difficulty with prescription costs - because they're not (relatively) cheap like in the UK and are full cost.

For example, I have a blood pressure meds of about $100 and eye drops that are $75.

Not only would they be 'cheap' in the UK, they're free if you're 60 (among other reasons).

What's the situation in the US if you're retired? Do those employee benefits continue?
I some cases, yes, I believe so, until you reach statutory retirement age. Then you go onto Medicare, and have a choice of plans, from "very low" monthly base cost with relatively pricey drugs, to those with a higher base monthly cost and cheaper drugs. But I am far enough from retirement that I haven't researched it and only really know what I have absorbed from reading BE posts.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 3rd 2018 at 1:30 pm.
Old Mar 3rd 2018, 1:47 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I some cases, yes, I believe so, until you reach statutory retirement age. Then you go onto Medicare, and have a choice of plans, from "very low" monthly base cost with relatively pricey drugs, to those with a higher base monthly cost and cheaper drugs. But I am far enough from retirement that I haven't researched it and only really know what I have absorbed from reading BE posts.
Thanks.

It's a strange thing and rarely seems discussed "in public" as if it's too unseemly or something.

Up here I see occasional references to people not wanting to lose jobs because they will no longer have meds covered.

The topic of meds not being included outside of in patient treatment comes up and until this province got one, a catastrophic drugs cost plan was a big issue because of so many not having coverage even if employed.

The Seniors Drug plan is also discussed every time their co-payment goes up.

But it's like a big secret as to how people do when they retire from work where ongoing meds were covered by employee benefits.
Old Mar 3rd 2018, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Genuine question.

When I retired in 2010 I continued to have insurance through my old company at employee group rates. After 3 years the policy changed and retirees had to pay the full, unsubsidized, group rates and within 4 years our insurance policy for myself and wife went from $80/month to $856/month and the deductibles and co-pays shot upwards as well. For prescriptions, I only had 1 and it was a generic, I had to pay the first $500 and then it went to group costs which for my generic was $15 per 90 day mail order.

So I guess the answer to your question is that it very much depends on the company.
Old Mar 3rd 2018, 4:19 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by durham_lad
...After 3 years the policy changed and retirees had to pay the full, unsubsidized, group rates and within 4 years our insurance policy for myself and wife went from $80/month to $856/month and the deductibles and co-pays shot upwards as well....

So I guess the answer to your question is that it very much depends on the company.
And even if you're lucky enough to keep it, it might not last long at the same level.

Makes you wonder why it's not talked about more doesn't it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.