Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Vacation to London: Advice wanted

Vacation to London: Advice wanted

Old Dec 29th 2007, 2:46 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vacation to London: Advice wanted

Originally Posted by polar_bear
Just to clarify, I didn't mean London CAN'T be done on a budget. But when I'm planning a holiday I tend to think I'd rather go to a less glamorous destination and have lots of spending money, than go somewhere really nice and overstretch myself.

But if he's set on London then there is obviously lots to enjoy, London Eye would be my #1 recommendation. Oh and my wife says the Bus Tour is well worth doing.

Oh yes and for the authentic 'old pub' experience go to the Olde Cheshire Cheese on Fleet Street!
I'd rather live on sarnies in London than lobster in Florida...

But that's just me.

btw, the bus tour is interesting, but you can do the same for a fraction of the price by just taking 2-3 ordinary buses

The London Eye gives a great view of London, but again you can get the same and save time and $$$ by walking all the way up to the top of St. Paul's or the Monument. (useful exercise too )
Old Dec 29th 2007, 4:40 am
Forum Regular

Knight1979 will become famous soon enoughKnight1979 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Rushman
As a West Ham supporter I wouldnt consider watching Millwall if they were the last team on Earth.
Very nice win today! I was anxious to see how Tevez was received at Upton Park since he did keep you guys from relegation. It was nice to see a team wipe that smirk off Ronaldo's face...

Some have recommended Fulham because of the Americans on the team and what not.....I've watched some of their games and their boring as hell. I'd rather see a lower division team, less hassle, more fun, better bang for the buck. I hope Clint Dempsey gets sent somewhere else when Fulham go down....he's a good ole Texas boy and I think he can be productive in the Premiership.....
Old Dec 29th 2007, 6:04 am
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

Charlton is a good ground for a neutral visit.
Easy enough to get to. Good support though friendly with it.
Not sure what the current ticket price is but they should be good value
Nicely handy for a pub lunch in Greenwich then hop on a bus.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 5:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
So make a list of what you'd see!

I'd go for the gardens, but that requires being there at a time of year when you cannot possibly stay for 40 quid a night!
50 is very doable all year round if you come out to zone 3. Still only 15-20 minutes from central destinations.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 5:58 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
I'd rather live on sarnies in London than lobster in Florida...

But that's just me.

No it's me too, the best lobster comes from Maine.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 6:00 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tootsie Frickensprinkles
50 is very doable all year round if you come out to zone 3. Still only 15-20 minutes from central destinations.
The hotel that DH stayed at in London near the Embassy was cheap-not so cheerful but cheap. Have to do a search over in the Marriage forum for that, loads of people used it when you had to go there for your medical and "the interview".
Old Dec 30th 2007, 6:25 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

My advice is if you are looking to stay at any place under £100, please get some reviews / advice / photos of the place FIRST before booking.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g1...nd-Hotels.html is a great resource. I was advised by London office to stay in a £110 hotel and when I got to trip advisor I saw pictures of the mold in the bathroom, peeling wallpaper, and unkempt carpets. I booked another place and sent them the photos. Kind of frightened them.

http://www.lastminute.com can also help save some bucks.

FWIW, right now my hotel of choice is the ParkCity near Earls Court--about £140 a night. I used to stay at the Royal Garden but it is going downhill now, the Carlton Tower (when I had some spare cash) and the Radisson SAS Portman Square (but they chareged me £20 a minute for a phone call once so I left never to return).
Old Dec 30th 2007, 6:31 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
No it's me too, the best lobster comes from Maine.
I thought lobsters come out of those fish tanks in restaurants........ non?
Old Dec 30th 2007, 6:34 am
Sursum corda

I thought lobsters come out of those fish tanks in restaurants........ non?
Mais non.

The lovely COLD waters off the coast of New England.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 6:35 am
Homebody

Mais non.

The lovely COLD waters off the coast of New England.
Actually, I prefer crabs...
Old Dec 30th 2007, 6:37 am
Sursum corda

Actually, I prefer crabs...
Even COLDER waters off Alaska.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 6:40 am
Sursum corda

Originally Posted by penguinsix
My advice is if you are looking to stay at any place under £100, please get some reviews / advice / photos of the place FIRST before booking.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g1...nd-Hotels.html is a great resource. I was advised by London office to stay in a £110 hotel and when I got to trip advisor I saw pictures of the mold in the bathroom, peeling wallpaper, and unkempt carpets. I booked another place and sent them the photos. Kind of frightened them.

http://www.lastminute.com can also help save some bucks.

FWIW, right now my hotel of choice is the ParkCity near Earls Court--about £140 a night. I used to stay at the Royal Garden but it is going downhill now, the Carlton Tower (when I had some spare cash) and the Radisson SAS Portman Square (but they chareged me £20 a minute for a phone call once so I left never to return).

One of my favorites is the Royal Horseguards (except the breakfast room decor reminds me of a Vegas lounge), if you get a room with a view it's excellent. It's a member of the Thistle hotel chain, which used to have a dollars for pounds rate, which was great.

You have to be careful of Trip Advisor reviews because there have been cases of hotel personnel singing the praises of places that are dumps.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 9:00 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

You have to be careful of Trip Advisor reviews because there have been cases of hotel personnel singing the praises of places that are dumps.
Yea, you have to learn how to read the reviews. You can tell a shill pretty easily, and you can also sift through the 'jerks' and 'whiners' as well ("the tea maker didn't get hot enough--what a crap hotel"). Take it with a grain of salt, but also look at the pictures. They sometimes say so much more than words.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 5:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

If you're looking a budget end of accomodation and you can book in advance enough check the travelodge.
If you book early enough you can often find rooms for £19 a night. You might not find contigous dates for that price but over a week it could make your weeks hotel £250 instead of £750.
It's cheap and usually cheerful. They have a new one on City Road and other dotted around. Kings Cross has 2 which are pretty handy for most locations.

Good Luck!