Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Vacation to London: Advice wanted

Vacation to London: Advice wanted

Old Dec 27th 2007, 4:40 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vacation to London: Advice wanted

Hell Chelsea doesn't even sell out some games.

I've always found Loftus Road (QPR) a fun stadium to watch a game. Kind of rundown, but very close to the pitch. Easy enough to get tickets, especially this year, and not that far out of Central London area.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

Knight1979 will become famous soon enoughKnight1979 will become famous soon enough

QPR completely slipped my mind.....that's a thought, really convenient location.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 9:11 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Redlippie
No, the STREETS are!!
you mean AFTER the match, right?
Old Dec 27th 2007, 11:02 pm
lj2
BE Enthusiast

lj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of light

Knight, it depends entirely what you are after from your "soccer" experience. Fulham is a good standard of football, and a civilised game. they even have a "neutrals" section which is unheard of elsewhere and it is easy to get tickets. Personally, I couldnt think of anything worse than a game of football devoid of passion and would never watch Fulham unless you paid me or I was in the away end.

I know what I'd do if I was you, I'd avoid the premiership and all it's high prices and low passion levels, and watch two of the Championship's better teams Charlton and Bristol City play at the Valley on 4th March. Obviously I am biased because I'm a City fan but Charlton represent everything that is good about football - they have a huge 12 supporters on their board and it's a truly well run community club. they deserve your support and you will be guaranteed passion and commitment from both teams, and a nice bit of noise from the away contingent which will be sizeable.

Hope this helps. I am going to West Ham as an away fan tomorrow so if I remember, I'll let you know how good it is to watch football there.

I have been to QPR a few times and yes, it is a decent place to go. They are just on a bit of a downer right now so not sure how good the atmosphere would be.
Old Dec 28th 2007, 1:46 am
Forum Regular

Knight1979 will become famous soon enoughKnight1979 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by lj2
Knight, it depends entirely what you are after from your "soccer" experience. Fulham is a good standard of football, and a civilised game. they even have a "neutrals" section which is unheard of elsewhere and it is easy to get tickets. Personally, I couldnt think of anything worse than a game of football devoid of passion and would never watch Fulham unless you paid me or I was in the away end.

I know what I'd do if I was you, I'd avoid the premiership and all it's high prices and low passion levels, and watch two of the Championship's better teams Charlton and Bristol City play at the Valley on 4th March. Obviously I am biased because I'm a City fan but Charlton represent everything that is good about football - they have a huge 12 supporters on their board and it's a truly well run community club. they deserve your support and you will be guaranteed passion and commitment from both teams, and a nice bit of noise from the away contingent which will be sizeable.

Hope this helps. I am going to West Ham as an away fan tomorrow so if I remember, I'll let you know how good it is to watch football there.

I have been to QPR a few times and yes, it is a decent place to go. They are just on a bit of a downer right now so not sure how good the atmosphere would be.
How easy would it be to get tickets for Charlton? Around what cost? I was a little unsure since there one of those teams that always seems like its flopping up and down from the Premeirship. Charlton was my original thought. Heck, maybe I can see a couple of games while I'm there.
Old Dec 28th 2007, 1:51 am
lj2
BE Enthusiast

lj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of light

I just had a quick look and Colchester, West Brom and Blackpool tickets all appear to be available at the moment which suggests it shouldnt be a problem. If it gets to mid Feb and they aren't available, feel free to drop me a PM and I could sort you out with some tickets for the away end. Unfortunately, it is 3 days after my move to the States so I wont be able to enjoy it with you.
Old Dec 28th 2007, 2:47 am
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Their beer is served WARM!
Hey now, not all refrigerators have Lucas componants.

Lucas... The Prince of Darkness.

Originally Posted by Rushman
Yes because a spam fritter washed down with Irn Bru and Vodka is such a sophisticated meal isn't it?
Its in the same league as eating Taco Bell with a nice red wine.
Old Dec 28th 2007, 4:02 am

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

Originally Posted by cindyabs
you mean AFTER the match, right?
No, the place is crawling with chavs! .... apparently.
Old Dec 28th 2007, 5:35 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Knight1979
How easy would it be to get tickets for Charlton? Around what cost? I was a little unsure since there one of those teams that always seems like its flopping up and down from the Premeirship. Charlton was my original thought. Heck, maybe I can see a couple of games while I'm there.
I think you need to take a train to the stadium as it isn't near the tube, but maybe someone who has been to the Valley can offer better instructions.

QPR are down right now but things are looking up as new money is coming in and some new players are on the horizon. I don't think QPR will be relegated this year.
Old Dec 28th 2007, 7:33 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Knight1979
One of my friends moved to London in October (he has Irish nationality eventhough he was born in Chicago (?)). I am planning a trip there this March.

I would like to see a football game. I know I don't have the cash for a Premeir game. So any suggestions?

Letyon O?
Barnet?

How expensive or possible would it be to see Palace or Charlton?

I'm not even considering Millwall so don't mention it.....
get the train down to Brighton
Old Dec 28th 2007, 7:40 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

....oh and don't be shocked at the absolute intensity and variety of curse words you will hear coming from the men in the crowd.... even if they are watching a match between 12-year-olds....
Old Dec 28th 2007, 8:01 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lj2
I just had a quick look and Colchester, West Brom and Blackpool tickets all appear to be available at the moment which suggests it shouldnt be a problem. If it gets to mid Feb and they aren't available, feel free to drop me a PM and I could sort you out with some tickets for the away end. Unfortunately, it is 3 days after my move to the States so I wont be able to enjoy it with you.
Yeah...go and see Colchester play. You might even get to see the lovely Mr Sherringham play

hmmm...Teddy
Old Dec 28th 2007, 8:18 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Yeah...go and see Colchester play. You might even get to see the lovely Mr Sherringham play

hmmm...Teddy
I met him at Heathrow once.....blokes an arrogant tosser, which in itself is not an unattractive quality.
Old Dec 28th 2007, 8:21 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

No, the place is crawling with chavs! .... apparently.
well if you're around Kingstanding nr Brum, yes it is..........
Old Dec 28th 2007, 8:23 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Go watch Fulham, at least you'll be able to watch some of the American national team players too.

oooh, you can't afford a premiership game.

wait till next year then
and still go watch Fulham.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.