Update on England

Old Dec 12th 2004, 11:13 am
Merlot

Talking Update on England

Hello

I have not been on this Forum since I think April this year so felt that I should update especially as Pants reminded me in her last e-mail.

I have to say really that since touch down my feet have not been on the ground and it is only the last few weeks I have really had a chance to think, "I am back and how do I feel�?

99% really happy, always the 1% nag of wishing to be back in OZ, why, it is just the way life is once you have lived in another place. I can honestly say I think I will have the gypsy feeling all my life because of this and just have to live with that.

I only really miss friend’s back there and the ability to get some sun on your face. I have never been so pale, though I was never a huge sun worshipper. In saying that I have made a lovely new set of mates over here and having lots of fun.

I still cannot get used to rugging up and must get strange stares from people in the street looking half dressed. Everyone seems to get “done up� over here, even to go to the movies, something we can’t get our heads around and everyone seems to be labels mad. We are so used to stepping out in short and singlets, image was not that important over on the Central Coast.

I think the most important thing is not to dwell on the good points of the place you have left and the bad points of the place you are in. This seems to be such a human way to think. Australia and the UK to me in a lot of ways are not much different – similar social problems, money issues, etc. Though we have found life more expensive here.

I do find it hard in the everyday world in the UK as I do feel a foreigner. Not that other people make me feel that way at, it is just that I have missed over 7 years of life in the UK and feel sometimes like I am from another planet.

At least I make people laugh coming out with Ozzie words such as “Pass the Glad Wrap� or “Buckley’s Chance�! I didn’t realise how Australian I had become, if only to fit in and exist over there.

I underestimated how important family support is and how much I have been missing. I was lucky enough to spend time with my Nan before she passed away in September, be at my Brother wedding in July, get excited about Christmas and look forward to my Dad’s wedding in April this year.

I love being able to walk in the country on a cold and crisp day, putting up the Christmas tree and going to carol services on a cold, dark night. Love the supermarkets with so much choice. Eating out is a LOT more expensive.

Don’t like pubs anymore though, which I missed like mad in Oz. Why, because of the smoke. I got so used to the smoke free environments in Oz, also café’s and even some shopping malls allow smoking but I think this on track to get banned. (No offence meant to smokers, as I am an ex-smoker).

I never thought I would get use to the short days, in fact in September when it started to get darker I panicked, wanted to get back on a plane. But you get used to it. I have the lovely long summer nights to look forward to next year.

No matter what place you are in you will always get a mix of good or bad days, good or bad luck and we have had our usual share of challenges and struggles. These have all seemed easier as the support and love of my family is around. That little unhappy pain in my heart has disappeared.

We rent here and will continue to do so as it suits us, we came back with 13 boxes with Jetta of personal items and not a stick of furniture. We now have a home filled with everything we need, pretty much donated from friends and family, so every time I look around it reminds me of how loved we are and how happy the family are that we are back.

Our moggy we brought back is thriving, have to say Transpet were great to those who need a great service. She was very shell shocked when we picked her up from Heathrow Animal Reception Centre but recovered almost in days. Downside for her is no sunshine to bathe in!!!

England feels like home at this moment in time, if this changes I go with it. I have read through a few posts and have to say there is more in life that house prices, how many rental homes you have, what your pound will buy and keeping up with the Jones’, if you are happy where you are, be it Oz, US, UK or wherever, just be content with that.

I don’t mean this to a personal dig at all, as we all have to earn a crust and survive. Just that we all loose sight of the important things, I have done on too many occasions and trying to put a stop to that and appreciate the wonderful things I have.

Sorry just re-read this thread and a little out of order but writing from the heart.

Best wishes
Merlot

Old Dec 12th 2004, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

Nico D is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Update on England

[QUOTE=Merlot]Hello

Nice to hear your story mate; I can totally understand where you are coming from and I think I know how you feel. Good luck with everything...

Nico
Old Dec 13th 2004, 6:25 am
Forum Regular

marbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nice
Question Re: Update on England

First time on this site and I was pleased to read something good about moving back to the uk. Just about to sell our house in NZ and move back home in April, nervous but excited. Missed loads and looking forward to seeing family and friends again but know that we will miss some things about this country too. Afraid about the itchy feet also but we will have to wait and see. Any regrets??
Helen

Originally Posted by Merlot
Hello

I have not been on this Forum since I think April this year so felt that I should update especially as Pants reminded me in her last e-mail.

I have to say really that since touch down my feet have not been on the ground and it is only the last few weeks I have really had a chance to think, "I am back and how do I feel�?

99% really happy, always the 1% nag of wishing to be back in OZ, why, it is just the way life is once you have lived in another place. I can honestly say I think I will have the gypsy feeling all my life because of this and just have to live with that.

I only really miss friend’s back there and the ability to get some sun on your face. I have never been so pale, though I was never a huge sun worshipper. In saying that I have made a lovely new set of mates over here and having lots of fun.

I still cannot get used to rugging up and must get strange stares from people in the street looking half dressed. Everyone seems to get “done up� over here, even to go to the movies, something we can’t get our heads around and everyone seems to be labels mad. We are so used to stepping out in short and singlets, image was not that important over on the Central Coast.

I think the most important thing is not to dwell on the good points of the place you have left and the bad points of the place you are in. This seems to be such a human way to think. Australia and the UK to me in a lot of ways are not much different – similar social problems, money issues, etc. Though we have found life more expensive here.

I do find it hard in the everyday world in the UK as I do feel a foreigner. Not that other people make me feel that way at, it is just that I have missed over 7 years of life in the UK and feel sometimes like I am from another planet.

At least I make people laugh coming out with Ozzie words such as “Pass the Glad Wrap� or “Buckley’s Chance�! I didn’t realise how Australian I had become, if only to fit in and exist over there.

I underestimated how important family support is and how much I have been missing. I was lucky enough to spend time with my Nan before she passed away in September, be at my Brother wedding in July, get excited about Christmas and look forward to my Dad’s wedding in April this year.

I love being able to walk in the country on a cold and crisp day, putting up the Christmas tree and going to carol services on a cold, dark night. Love the supermarkets with so much choice. Eating out is a LOT more expensive.

Don’t like pubs anymore though, which I missed like mad in Oz. Why, because of the smoke. I got so used to the smoke free environments in Oz, also café’s and even some shopping malls allow smoking but I think this on track to get banned. (No offence meant to smokers, as I am an ex-smoker).

I never thought I would get use to the short days, in fact in September when it started to get darker I panicked, wanted to get back on a plane. But you get used to it. I have the lovely long summer nights to look forward to next year.

No matter what place you are in you will always get a mix of good or bad days, good or bad luck and we have had our usual share of challenges and struggles. These have all seemed easier as the support and love of my family is around. That little unhappy pain in my heart has disappeared.

We rent here and will continue to do so as it suits us, we came back with 13 boxes with Jetta of personal items and not a stick of furniture. We now have a home filled with everything we need, pretty much donated from friends and family, so every time I look around it reminds me of how loved we are and how happy the family are that we are back.

Our moggy we brought back is thriving, have to say Transpet were great to those who need a great service. She was very shell shocked when we picked her up from Heathrow Animal Reception Centre but recovered almost in days. Downside for her is no sunshine to bathe in!!!

England feels like home at this moment in time, if this changes I go with it. I have read through a few posts and have to say there is more in life that house prices, how many rental homes you have, what your pound will buy and keeping up with the Jones’, if you are happy where you are, be it Oz, US, UK or wherever, just be content with that.

I don’t mean this to a personal dig at all, as we all have to earn a crust and survive. Just that we all loose sight of the important things, I have done on too many occasions and trying to put a stop to that and appreciate the wonderful things I have.

Sorry just re-read this thread and a little out of order but writing from the heart.

Best wishes
Merlot
Old Dec 13th 2004, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya Merlot
Good to hear from you. Very interesting to read your perceptions on life back in the UK. I've been back a year last week now. I love it back in the UK but I also miss loads about Australia - same as you - 99% happy, 1% nagging desire to retrun! The important thing I guess is that I have no regrets about having come back.

The people in my part of the UK are wonderful and very friendly. I can't relate to threads where people moan about British people being ignorant, looking down-trodden, etc. Life is good here and I would have no qualms about raising my children in the UK. When I left Australia I never once felt that they would have a better life in Australia (only a 'different' life). I stand by that.

ANyway,great to hear from you. Keep us updated
HP
Old Dec 13th 2004, 4:48 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
Hiya Merlot
The people in my part of the UK are wonderful and very friendly. I can't relate to threads where people moan about British people being ignorant, looking down-trodden, etc. Life is good here and I would have no qualms about raising my children in the UK. When I left Australia I never once felt that they would have a better life in Australia (only a 'different' life). I stand by that.

HP
I just got back to the US after a week visiting my mum in Middlesbrough and I'd
forgotten just how down trodden and poor the area was. The people are great, and
I felt at home, but Middlesbrough is a bit of a pit. Its a great example of the uneven
distribution of wealth and resources in the UK. What it had in abundance was warm people and the most beautiful countryside, and that's where I hope to be living soon.
Old Dec 13th 2004, 6:28 pm
Merlot

Talking Re: Update on England

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
Hiya Merlot
Good to hear from you. Very interesting to read your perceptions on life back in the UK. I've been back a year last week now. I love it back in the UK but I also miss loads about Australia - same as you - 99% happy, 1% nagging desire to retrun! The important thing I guess is that I have no regrets about having come back.

HP
Hiya HP

Lovely to hear from you, how is Motherhood? I vowed that once I had put my 2 pence worth on this site I would not come back, but then the replies and mails start coming and you are hooked again. Also, it is lovely to help those either moving to the UK or going to Oz.

Can't believe I have been back 9 months on Boxing Day - scary stuff!!!!

I still love being back, love being able to walk without that bloody awful heat and humidity and yes it was the right choice for me.

I will never say never about moving to another country but very content for the moment. It really strips your energy supplies moving to just trying to relax and spend time with the family. They have been fantastic since my return and I did not realise the importance of family until now.

Bring on a cold Christmas, it is the first time I have looked forward to it since I was a kid . . . and don't get me onto Bonfire Night - just loved that!

Must fly, take care M

Old Dec 13th 2004, 6:59 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by nun
I just got back to the US after a week visiting my mum in Middlesbrough and I'd
forgotten just how down trodden and poor the area was. The people are great, and
I felt at home, but Middlesbrough is a bit of a pit. Its a great example of the uneven
distribution of wealth and resources in the UK. What it had in abundance was warm people and the most beautiful countryside, and that's where I hope to be living soon.
Have to agree and hubby & I commented this weekend in Billingham Town Centre how dirty the place looked, but the people are real, yes some grumpy ones but meet equal amount of grumps over in Oz!

It is home!

Good luck moving back.

Merlot

Old Dec 14th 2004, 3:42 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Great to hear from you Merlot! Glad you're 99% enjoying being back!

Can't believe you've been back so long, and HP also, a year
Time is flying sooo quickly! We've been here 5 months tomorrow!!!
Parents in law are coming for a holiday next week.
My parents and brother are coming back to live in July (95% certain). Very happy about that, but I know they'll always be 'gypsy's' like you mention.
My mum is really only coming back because we're here. Dad always wanted to come back, but he's restless in general.
Nothing is simple once you've migrated, remigrated, and have elderly parents. And then me living here...

Ah we'll see.
Old Dec 14th 2004, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

fillyjane is on a distinguished road

Hi merlot

It was really nice to read your post, the good and not so good things about being back in the UK.
I am hoping to return asap, I have to sell our house here first. I have been here in NZ for a little while and I have never settled, and have had intense feelings of homesickness and have made the decision to go home. I know there will be things I miss about being here, but I am longing to get back to my family and their love and support. I don't care about the material stuff I just want to get home to where I belong. Reading you post has just made me feel more homesick, especially the bit about looking forward to Christmas and enjoying bonfire's night!!
I know I have just repeated what others have said but I really enjoyed reading your post and wanted to let you know.

Good luck to you.
Old Dec 14th 2004, 6:12 pm
Merlot

Thanks fillyjane and Simone.

There are 1,000 things to say good and bad, I really appreciated other's views of the UK when I was thinking of coming back to the UK, so glad to help.

Good luck
Merlot