Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Update: 25 days and a big grin

Wikiposts

Update: 25 days and a big grin

Old Jul 29th 2013, 10:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Update: 25 days and a big grin - BANKS

Originally Posted by curleytops
It's funny, I felt like I'd only been gone on some sort of a long holiday and now everything was "back to normal". I felt and still do feel much more relaxed and at peace because I can just be the real me again. I never ever realised the extent of the facade I'd been putting on for all those years and just how emotionally draining it had been until I didn't have to do it anymore. I hardly ever think of Canada any more, only the family I left there. It's just some place I lived for awhile.

Forty seven years is a long time to live with regrets, I know how sad that can be. Do you think you will return here to live?

Absolute ditto!
In Aus there is a phrase: 'white anting'. (These little pests thrive on slowing eating out wood; are white; and are a real problem here. One finds out in the hardest way that these have very slowly eaten away the wooden structure of your home).
The phrase has been picked up to show a gradual and imperceptible decline-'eating away at the foundations of your life'.

I feel white anted.
I am not the same person anymore, this country changed me inexorably. I have completely lost who I used to be......

Originally Posted by happyglow
I feel the same way to some extent about Canada - I suppose I was constantly "on my best behaviour", conscious that I was a "guest" there even though I had PR, and feeling I had to be super polite. It was all so superficial. I hardly ever think of it either - there are three friends I miss but that's about it.
........and this is the reason why!
I am a strong character, but because of this guest thing, I have repeatedly stayed silent when so many myths about the UK are spewed out. When the UK is ridiculed, I cannot say what I'd dearly like to say in return; because this is my 'home'.

The end result of that to be very frank, is that I am embittered, and becoming increasingly physically ill.

Personally, I will not be as comfortably financially off as I am here,-but I will feel 'in sync'-and I have to believe that that will do me a whole heap of good.

Crikey!! Aren't we honest on here!
Old Jul 29th 2013, 11:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute

PS try to control the fish and chips consumption before you end up like me, waddling all over the place. I've had to quit cold turkey to try and knock some of the weight of and it's no fun
I'm on it - lots of hill walking is keeping the chubs at bay.

Tell you what though, I could put on 100kg and fit right in - there are hugely obese people everywhere these days, very different from when I left and there was a little dog... well, I was so tempted to just grab his lead and haul him off, poor little thing was so fat
Old Jul 30th 2013, 3:47 am
Forum Regular

gailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nice

It's funny, I felt like I'd only been gone on some sort of a long holiday and now everything was "back to normal". I felt and still do feel much more relaxed and at peace because I can just be the real me again. I never ever realised the extent of the facade I'd been putting on for all those years and just how emotionally draining it had been until I didn't have to do it anymore. I hardly ever think of Canada any more, only the family I left there. It's just some place I lived for awhile.

Forty seven years is a long time to live with regrets, I know how sad that can be. Do you think you will return here to live?
You have just described the way I feel, curleytops.
We would leave family as well, but I have always said, no matter where we live - there will always be two families to miss.
Our biggest problem is the news regs they came up with and whether we can afford it.
You are right - about the regrets - very draining. I have never felt like this is where I belong. The 'holiday' thing was spot on. That was the way I felt at first - like I was on a holiday that just went on and on. I do know that if I had come over first to see what it was like, I never would have left. Even as I got on that plane, which was the hardest thing I ever did - I can still hear my little sister calling "Bye Gail".
When we go back to England - which is getting harder to do each year due to the cost of tickets, we both feel like we never left when we go down to the town for the first time.
The only reason I have ever wanted to come back was for the pets, and I have never sat on a plane waiting (to go to England) to take off when I didn't wish our animals were on it as well.
It isn't a case of what we want to do - it is a case of whether we can afford to do it. I wish there was some kind of a fairy godmother who could say it is the right thing to do and all be well. Unfortunately, there isn't. Nothing we have ever done in all the time we have been here seems to have turned out right, so moving back to England would be the last mistake we made, if that was the way it turned out to be.
By the way - your description of the busses was spot on. My Mother had a bus stop right outside her house and my sister has one just a few feet up the road from her house. It is lovely, to be able to walk up there get on a bus and leave the driving to someone else. There are no busses where we live, so if you can't/don't want to drive, you are up the creek.
My husband always goes down to buy a paper every morning when we are there and he always comes back saying - I saw so and so and we stopped to talk. So much different than here. Our neighbours almost seem like they are afraid to get to know anyone - other than a Hello, how are you? sort of thing.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 3:54 am
Forum Regular

gailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nice

For me there were two and since they both lived about 1000 miles away from me in opposite directions, it's not like we saw a lot of each other anyway. They're both lovely people (ironically they both have the same name and both share a whole list of other things in common although they have never met one another). We may go months and months between letters or emails etc. but we think of one another often and I know there's a bond there that will last the rest of our lives. They are company to look forward to in the future.

PS try to control the fish and chips consumption before you end up like me, waddling all over the place. I've had to quit cold turkey to try and knock some of the weight of and it's no fun

I think you hit the nail on the head about being on best behaviour!
Well, we wouldn't have to worry about friends.
We tend to overeat when we are there as we know it will only last for a few weeks, but I think if we lived there, it wouldn't be much different than what we have here - not when you know you can go get it anytime you want
Happyglow : I tried the bread thing, but it really makes my arms and shoulders ache. I have a machine, but it makes such small loaves and they have a bit hole in them, it is hardly worth the effort, although I have cooked them in the oven after it has mixed it all up. I like it much better when we can go to Tesco or Morrisons, or somewhere, and buy it fresh from the bakery =