Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Update: 25 days and a big grin

Wikiposts

Update: 25 days and a big grin

Old Apr 27th 2013, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Update: 25 days and a big grin

Just a quickie update, it's still early days to give much feedback but not once have I questioned whether I made the right decision to come back, and I hardly think about Canada at all. Weird! Anyway, in a nutshell:

Staying with family has turned out way more fun than I imagined. We're all more relaxed with departure not looming.

It is flipping FREEZING considering it's almost May!

Little dog having the time of his life

After much hunting, bought an absolutely gorgeous old BMW and am enjoying cruising round the twisty roads listening to radio 3 (old gitdom has its merits!)

Parking spaces are tiny

Driving licence was renewed with no questions asked, though it expired quite a while ago. It took ages to come back though! Because of this it's been a long drag opening a bank account without other ID, but just waiting for cards etc now.

Looked at a rental today that would suit us down to the ground - tiny village up on a hill, great neighbours, cute little stone cottage with scope for a veggie garden, and fantastic walks. Will be applying to the agents on monday.

Oh yeah - apparently my boxes of stuff have arrive safely and cleared customs, and will be delivered on tuesday - more on that later but woohoo!

That's all I can think of just now - it's *&^&^#^#($ good to be here!
Old Apr 28th 2013, 3:13 am
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Update: 25 days and a big grin

What a great update! You sound really happy!
Old Apr 28th 2013, 3:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Wonderful!!! Such good news. Send more updates whenever you can. Maybe even a few pics
Old Apr 28th 2013, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds as if you and doggie are thoroughly enjoying yourselves back home Any news of a jobs yet?
Old Apr 28th 2013, 8:42 am
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
It sounds as if you and doggie are thoroughly enjoying yourselves back home Any news of a jobs yet?
Oh we are! Champing at the bit for our own space again though, hope this rental comes off.

As for jobs, I'm hoping to pick up some part time/casual/contract work close to wherever we end up living, and we're about to head off on a little holiday, so not hunting in earnest yet. Will keep you posted!
Old Apr 28th 2013, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
Wonderful!!! Such good news. Send more updates whenever you can. Maybe even a few pics
Will do my best! Pics a bit crappy on this phone but hoping to upgrade to a lovely new one soon..... oh, did I mention, hooray for unlimited data for 15 squids a month? Thanks Virgin!
Old Apr 29th 2013, 2:08 am
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

Sounds like you're having a great time being home Yes it is a bit chilly..where has Spring gone? Good luck with the rental and I'm glad you got yourself a car to zip around in.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 6:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhoFan63
Sounds like you're having a great time being home Yes it is a bit chilly..where has Spring gone? Good luck with the rental and I'm glad you got yourself a car to zip around in.
Thanks heaps!

Funny, I don't think of it as being "back home", just another chapter in the journey. Home is wherever little dog and I hang our hats
Old Apr 29th 2013, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

ElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really nice

Lovely update, Happyglow I'm pleased that you're having a lovely time despite the cool temps.

I'm also glad it's not just me who feels that the parking spaces are too tiny, how you manage to negotiate an old BMW into one without knocking into other cars is beyond me
Old Apr 29th 2013, 11:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ElizabethK
Lovely update, Happyglow I'm pleased that you're having a lovely time despite the cool temps.

I'm also glad it's not just me who feels that the parking spaces are too tiny, how you manage to negotiate an old BMW into one without knocking into other cars is beyond me
It takes a bit of forethought, that's for sure - brilliant car though!
Old Apr 29th 2013, 11:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: Update: 25 days and a big grin - BANKS

Bit more feedback on banks - I tried to open a current account with Nationwide and they have done nothing but mess me around, they are the most disorganised company I've ever had the misfortune to deal with and every single person you speak to tells you something different. If you're looking to open a UK account, steer well clear!

(It takes a lot to get me to the point of telling them to stuff it )
Old Apr 30th 2013, 1:53 am
BE Enthusiast

ElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really nice

Originally Posted by happyglow
Bit more feedback on banks - I tried to open a current account with Nationwide and they have done nothing but mess me around, they are the most disorganised company I've ever had the misfortune to deal with and every single person you speak to tells you something different. If you're looking to open a UK account, steer well clear!

And yet, if you read the job requirements on the vacancies for Nationwide (as I often do whilst perusing jobsites), they "pride themselves on their excellent customer service".

It would seem the branch you've visited does not adhere to such excellence!
Old Apr 30th 2013, 2:39 am
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by happyglow

I don't know whether this helps or not...but when I got back I went to Lloyds TSB and had no hassle whatsoever opening a bank account. All I needed to take was my passport ! I'd emailed them from the US just to ask if opening an account would be a problem as I didn't have a job, but they said it wouldn't be a problem so long as I had ID (passport) and an address.

Sure enough I went in, the man was ever so helpful and a few days later I received my debit card in the mail. Easy Peasy.. lol
Old Apr 30th 2013, 2:46 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WhoFan63
I don't know whether this helps or not...but when I got back I went to Lloyds TSB and had no hassle whatsoever opening a bank account. All I needed to take was my passport ! I'd emailed them from the US just to ask if opening an account would be a problem as I didn't have a job, but they said it wouldn't be a problem so long as I had ID (passport) and an address.

Sure enough I went in, the man was ever so helpful and a few days later I received my debit card in the mail. Easy Peasy.. lol
I can second this happyglow, Lloyds were fine for me too - I opened mine in Kent so there's feedback from two different parts of the country.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 3:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks both! Finally got hold of a businesslike, helpful person at Nat West, so at least I have a debit card on the way. I reckon some petty-minded people like to punish us for being a bit different cos they're jealous

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.